Permanent Resident-green card enough?

LoveVakays

I've been trying to find an answer to this question and I've gotten about 4 different answers. So hopefully someone knows the correct answer to my query: if the person is a U.S. permanent resident, can they take a Eastern Caribbean cruise this November 2008 (traveling to DR, USVI, BVI)? All they have is a U.S. driver's license and green card (i.e. alien registration card).

Please don't tell them to apply for a passport b/c they're not eligible for naturalization yet (or else that would have been done already). And they don't have a passport from their native-born country. Thanks for all your help.

We really want to include this person on our NCL Dawn trip!!

I would really recommend that you get the answer to this question from someone you paid for professional legal advice. I'm not sure there is a 100% yes or a 100% No that we could give.

While most of us on this board are more than happy to offer advice and consultation, none of us will be there to console your friend if he or she was denied re-entry back into the States. Nor, would we be offering to reimburse for any lost monies due to our bad advice.

LoveVaKays,

I don't have the answer to your question but may be able to point you in the right direction. Each country you visit will have its own requirements for visitors. I would suggest that you do a search for each country's embassy/consulate in the US or contact the US Consulate or Embassy in each country you intend to visit.

The other question is what is needed for your friend to enter and leave the US. I found this question at the website for US Customs and Border Patrol:

http://help.cbp.gov/cgi-bin/customs.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=572&p_created=1048279878&p_sid=wX-*G4Wi&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MjExLDIxMSZwX3Byb2RzPTAmcF9jYXRzPTAmcF9wdj0mcF9jdj0mcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXBlcm1hbmVudCByZXNpZGVudHM*&p_li=&p_topview=1

It's a very long link so may not work here. If not go to www.cbp.gov and go to the 'ask a question' section and look for 'permanent residents'

I think for this sort of information it is always best to go to the official government source(s).

Hope this helps

Obira

Quote from Princess Requirements:

Resident Aliens are required to present, in addition to a valid passport, a current and valid Alien Resident Card.

Whether there are exceptions or not will not be easy to find out. If you call 5 times, you may get 5 different ANSWERS!

I've been trying to find an answer to this question and I've gotten about 4 different answers. So hopefully someone knows the correct answer to my query: if the person is a U.S. permanent resident, can they take a Eastern Caribbean cruise this November 2008 (traveling to DR, USVI, BVI)? All they have is a U.S. driver's license and green card (i.e. alien registration card).

Please don't tell them to apply for a passport b/c they're not eligible for naturalization yet (or else that would have been done already). And they don't have a passport from their native-born country. Thanks for all your help.

Refer him to the U.S. State Department website if he needs further information.

Anyone who is a "green card" holder is also required to keep a current passport from the country where he is a citizen. That's the law.

All he'll need is the green card and his passport from whatever country he's from. If he has let his passport lapse, his Resident certificate is in jeopardy...he should straighten this out right away.

Air/Land and Sea - Lawful Permanent Residents (Green card holder's) do NOT need a passport to enter the United States, however you may need a passport to enter another country. Please contact the embassy of the foreign country you will be traveling to for their requirements.

This I got from the CBP Q&A section. Thanks for the tip. Happy Cruising all! :)

RCCL told my DIL she should have a passport in addition to her green card.

If, for any reason you need to fly back in for any kind of emergency, (yours or someone else), you need a passport to fly back into the US.

I didn't want to take any chances, because she is deaf.

Pat

For the most part, yes, you will need a passport from the country you are a citizen or national. USVI is part of the US, so your 551 card will suffice. The other Island will probably require (specifically BVI) a passport.

:cool:

My curiosity got the beat of me. Why would a resident alien have a green card and NO passport from their country of citizenship? Even an expired passport from their home country is acceptable with the greencard.

Ed

indicates a passport is required, but it does not mention the green card. It does indicate that persons without proper documentation will not be permitted to board.

I checked HAL's site, and I suspect the requirements spelled out there are typical for those in your friend's situation: the green card and a passport good for 6 months beyond end of trip.

So, unless your friend can get the passport from his country of citizenship, I fear he is SOL.

I must be very naive, but I don't understand how one can get a green card without a valid passport from one's country of citizenship.

Probably got the green card and then let the passport from country of origin lapse.

indicates a passport is required, but it does not mention the green card. It does indicate that persons without proper documentation will not be permitted to board.

I checked HAL's site, and I suspect the requirements spelled out there are typical for those in your friend's situation: the green card and a passport good for 6 months beyond end of trip.

So, unless your friend can get the passport from his country of citizenship, I fear he is SOL.

I must be very naive, but I don't understand how one can get a green card without a valid passport from one's country of citizenship.

If this were me - I wouldn't chance it without a passport from country of origin. Gov't regulations are tough to decipher - and you just never know when a Border Patrol or Immigration agent is gonna decide to interpret the rules differently.

this is what I found:

International Travel

A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/menuitem.5af9bb95919f35e66f614176543f6d1a/?vgnextoid=fe17e6b0eb13d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD&vgnextchannel=4f719c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Glad the tip was of some assistance LoveVakays. I hope you are all able to have a great vacation together. :)

To those who are curious I can think of at least a couple of possible reasons why someone may not have a passport yet still have a greencard.

Totalitarian regimes often restrict the movements of their citizens by denying them a passport. A refugee fleeing such a regime may have been granted PR in the US but will not have a passport.

Other regimes may require that citizens travelling abroad in groups be under the supervision of KGB types who keep control of individuals' passports at all times. A person (such as a Soviet ballet dancer, to use an example from the past) who slipped from their group and sought asylum in the US would not have a passport either. A trip to the USSR embassy to get a replacement may not have had a happy ending.

I have no idea of the circumstances of LoveVakays's friend, such being a private matter, but have no reason to doubt his/her bona fides.

If a particular cruise line had issues with the requirement for a passport as well as a greencard I would show them the written evidence on requirements which I had obtained from each country whose border I would be crossing on that trip. I would then make certain that this information had been passed on to their employees dealing with embarkation.

I believe the CBP website also deals with the question of cruise passengers who through some sort of emergency must return by air.

Cheers

obira

My curiosity got the beat of me. Why would a resident alien have a green card and NO passport from their country of citizenship? Even an expired passport from their home country is acceptable with the greencard.

Ed

This is the situation of our neighbors--they are here on political asylum from a former Soviet nation. They have been in the states for 15+ years. The mother finally got citizenship this year. Her children who were 7 and 3 at the time of immigration were not able to get citizenship for a few more months--even though they had been waiting for years and were minors at the time of application; they were hoping that they would extend the citizenship to them, but it did not work that way. Her husband is still waiting to have the paperwork processed to become a citizen. They were not considered citizens of any country until they became citizens of the US--I believe that they renounced their citizenship. We have been wanting them to cruise with us, but until he becomes a citizen they can't leave the country in case they wouldn't be able to return. Not worth the risk to them. As they have said they just consider themselves fortunate to be in the US and since there is so much opportunity to see and travel freely here they don't want to mess it up! We are blessed and often forget what it is like in other countries. We have decided that when all the red tape clears that we will take a cruise to celebrate!

I think the reason our friend doesn't have any passport is b/c he fled the country at a young age and entered the US under a political asylum arrangement (don't quote me on the exact terminology). I'm going to post the various information I found all on legitimate gov't websites in case it helps other travelers.

Rentry into US - Lawful Permanent Residents (Green card holder's) do NOT need a passport to enter the United States, however you may need a passport to enter another country. Please contact the embassy of the foreign country you will be traveling to for their requirements.

Dominican Republic - prior to entering the immigration line visitors are required to purchase a Tourist Card. It's essential that visitors have $10 US dollars for each member of their party with which to pay this tax. No coins or other currency, including Dominican pesos, can be used. In addition, ATMs are usually found only outside the immigration area making it nearly impossible for visitors to get cash upon arrival. Travelers cheques and credit cards are also not accepted. Tourist Cards are available at booths near the immigration lines. While only one half of the document will be taken upon entry into the country, the other half will be taken upon departure. Therefore, it's imperative that visitors put this second half in a safe place for the duration of their trip. The Tourist Card is good for up to 30 days.

British Virgin Islands: Holders of U.S. Alien Registration Cards DO NOT require a visa to visit Bermuda, British Virgin Islands or Cayman Island.

I see the DR words about cost of the tourist card but none about identification - I *thought* when I looked yesterday that it said you needed a passport - but I may be remembering wrong.

Honestly - I know you really want your friend to go - but if I were him/her I wouldn't risk it - and how would you feel if he/she were stopped at the border and not allowed in. If some BP agent questions it - your friend could be detained for some time - and even if/when it gets all straightened out - what kind of damage will be done to their life during the interim.

Just my .02 cents

I think the reason our friend doesn't have any passport is b/c he fled the country at a young age and entered the US under a political asylum arrangement (don't quote me on the exact terminology). I'm going to post the various information I found all on legitimate gov't websites in case it helps other travelers.

Rentry into US - Lawful Permanent Residents (Green card holder's) do NOT need a passport to enter the United States, however you may need a passport to enter another country. Please contact the embassy of the foreign country you will be traveling to for their requirements.

Dominican Republic - prior to entering the immigration line visitors are required to purchase a Tourist Card. It's essential that visitors have $10 US dollars for each member of their party with which to pay this tax. No coins or other currency, including Dominican pesos, can be used. In addition, ATMs are usually found only outside the immigration area making it nearly impossible for visitors to get cash upon arrival. Travelers cheques and credit cards are also not accepted. Tourist Cards are available at booths near the immigration lines. While only one half of the document will be taken upon entry into the country, the other half will be taken upon departure. Therefore, it's imperative that visitors put this second half in a safe place for the duration of their trip. The Tourist Card is good for up to 30 days.

British Virgin Islands: Holders of U.S. Alien Registration Cards DO NOT require a visa to visit Bermuda, British Virgin Islands or Cayman Island.

The problem with the above information is it doesn't address your friend's issue.

The info on the DR says nothing about what kind of citizenship proof you need for their country - and in fact if you are travelling on a cruiseship you don't have to get the tourist card.

The info on the BVI only addresses whether they need an entry visa - not what kind of proof of citizenship they would need.

Your friend may not need a visa but he will need a travel document. Your friend may be able to apply to the US Citizenship and Immigration Service for a travel document which takes the place of a national passport. Whether or not the countries your friend will visit will accept a travel document issued by the US government is another issue. As a previous poster said, your friend may need to consult an immigration attorney. Don't be surprised if the recommendation is not to travel outside the US until citizenship is granted.

Ed

For entering the US, yes. To enter another country, you need a valid (un-expired) passport and if applicable, a visa for that country.

Ok to paraphrase the book stateless persons/refugees should have non-national paperwork stating that they are currently stateless. Each nation can accept or decline that paperwork.

So im guessing that the person would have paperwork from the US State department or INS stating they are currently stateless. Other nations can accept that as a passport or not. Its up to each individual nation.

If it were me i would advise them to get something in writting from each nation stating that they would accept the person for entry into their nation with said paperwork.

Carnival like a airline can be fined HUGE amounts of money for transporting a passenger without proper travel documents. So Carnival might just deny this passenger passage because its so ify.

Hope that helps out.

The above passage is from another thread over on the Carnival site. The person providing that information appears to be very knowlegable about the regulations.

Air/Land and Sea - Lawful Permanent Residents (Green card holder's) do NOT need a passport to enter the United States, however you may need a passport to enter another country. Please contact the embassy of the foreign country you will be traveling to for their requirements.

This I got from the CBP Q&A section. Thanks for the tip. Happy Cruising all! :)

From the U.S. Department of State website:

"Being a Permanent Resident of the United States, you can travel without restraint outside the U.S. You must present your green card and passport from your country of citizenship for readmission if the trip was less than one year."

Please don't give people information unless you KNOW it's correct....especially on important issues. Anyone who can read can go to the State Department website and get this information.

A Residency card merely means you are allowed to live and work in the U.S... It does NOT prove citizenship....which is required to enter the U.S.

From the U.S. Department of State website:

"Being a Permanent Resident of the United States' date=' you can travel without restraint outside the U.S. You must present your green card and passport from your country of citizenship for readmission if the trip was less than one year."

Please don't give people information unless you KNOW it's correct....especially on important issues. Anyone who can read can go to the State Department website and get this information.

A Residency card merely means you are allowed to live and work in the U.S... It does NOT prove citizenship....which is required to enter the U.S.[/quote']

I went to the state department website and it said

A permanent resident alien returning to the United States from a visit abroad of less than a year may apply for readmission by presenting an Alien Registration Receipt Card ("green card") to the immigration authorities at a port of entry.

I don't see anywhere that states you need a passport and a green card to re enter.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1333.html

Archived