Sun Princess questions regarding drinks cards and Dining Options

Hi All,

My husband and I are going on Sun Princess in August next year, yes ages away and I've started counting!

I have been reading S&D's Day by Day report which has been fantastic and helpful, but I have a few questions if anyone who has been on SP and might know the answers.

S&D mentions that the Pizza Place onboard has no extra charge. Does this mean that you do not have to pay to eat there? I previously sailed on Pacific Dawn and the Pizza and the Steakhouse cost extra.

S&D also mentions icecream cards and soft drinks cards. Can someone give me an idea of pricing of these?

Thank you, I love CC and find it has been so helpful for me in the past.

Cheers

Rachel

Hi Rachel

The pizzeria is free of charge, the steak house is the only one that is extra. You can also get free ice cream at the Horizon buffet in the evenings. I am not sure about the ice cream card, however i did buy a soft drink card which was cost effective, i think for our 14 night trip i paid about $70... Good luck you will love the food on SP.

Hi All,

My husband and I are going on Sun Princess in August next year, yes ages away and I've started counting!

I have been reading S&D's Day by Day report which has been fantastic and helpful, but I have a few questions if anyone who has been on SP and might know the answers.

S&D mentions that the Pizza Place onboard has no extra charge. Does this mean that you do not have to pay to eat there? I previously sailed on Pacific Dawn and the Pizza and the Steakhouse cost extra.

S&D also mentions icecream cards and soft drinks cards. Can someone give me an idea of pricing of these?

Thank you, I love CC and find it has been so helpful for me in the past.

Cheers

Rachel

Rach,

Soft drink card is approx $5 per day x length of cruise (ie $50 for a 10 nighter). Comes with a drink bottle.

Yes, pizzeria is free, but has a small set delivery charge if you want it delivered to your cabin. Buffet is 24hrs, room service is free. On deck snacks such as burgers, chips, hot dogs are free too. Sandra posted the price of the ice-cream card somewhere on her thread. The coffee card for us was around $23 for 15 coffees. As Jeff says, free icecream in the buffet in the evening, plus there is also a choice of icecream in the dining room, with different flavours each night. If you want a nice pudding or cake etc + icecream, they are happy to serve both.

Apart from the steakhouse, there is an Ultimate Balcony dining package. Moet, lobster and or steak, exclusive dessert, cocktails, photo, canapes, flowers, and your own waiters for $130 per couple. Kinkacruiser can tell you how romantic it is, as she was engaged by the end of their UBD meal. You need to have a balcony cabin though. They also have a room service champagne breakfast for $35 couple. Includes mini pastries, crab cakes, fruit, 1\2 bottle of moet, pot of coffee and other things I can't remember. Enough to feed 4 people.

The food on our NYE Sun Princess cruise was one of the main highlights of the trip. We ate some incredible meals, and the dining room service was impeccable.

Come on guys, you know nothing is free on the ships, you pay big bucks in your cruise fare, thus have paid for everything, as we all know only too well.

With all due respect you mean NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, i.e. arvo ice cream in buffet, pizza, hotdogs/burgers.

Cheers..Les:cool:

Come on guys, you know nothing is free on the ships, you pay big bucks in your cruise fare, thus have paid for everything, as we all know only too well.

With all due respect you mean NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, i.e. arvo ice cream in buffet, pizza, hotdogs/burgers.

Cheers..Les:cool:

You are correct - free is not a correct term, but those extras are inclusive in the fare.

Pizza is $7 free'r than Pacific Dawn. I don't see much of a price difference between SP and the P&O ships that charge for those "no additional charge" meals.

Hi,

This is an interesting thread for someone taking their first cruise on PD in Sept, are their soft drink cards on PD and what about extra charges on food etc?

Thanks

No soft drink cards on Pacific Dawn or Pacific Sun (this is a Princess thing)

Not sure about what's "free" and what's not on PD, will find out about 16 days before you do!!

Kym

Hi,

This is an interesting thread for someone taking their first cruise on PD in Sept, are their soft drink cards on PD and what about extra charges on food etc?

Thanks

Steakhouse has an extra charge, which is consistent with Sun Princess. Pizza is $7 which sounds like great value, but is $7 extra than the N\C option in the dining room or buffet.

Burgers, fries, hot dogs on deck incur an extra charge, although I have read these are available N\C during lunch hours. Options such as prawns etc also incur an extra charge.

Yes, pizzeria is free, but has a small set delivery charge if you want it delivered to your cabin. Buffet is 24hrs, room service is free.

We are going to test drive the Dawn Princess next year on the two nighter Syd to Bne. So can I assume the buffet is also free .. er, sorry, inclusive?

Usually the main meals more than satisify me, but if I drink a bit more as could happen on a short cruise, I may need a bit of "blotting paper" to soak it up, so to speak.;)

While I'm here, I know most CCers are considering or have booked the Bne to Syd sector. It is not like we are avoiding you; quite the opposite. It is all about the Syd to Bne sector being the only one suiting our needs. :(

We are going to test drive the Dawn Princess next year on the two nighter Syd to Bne. So can I assume the buffet is also free .. er, sorry, inclusive?

Usually the main meals more than satisify me, but if I drink a bit more as could happen on a short cruise, I may need a bit of "blotting paper" to soak it up, so to speak.;)

While I'm here, I know most CCers are considering or have booked the Bne to Syd sector. It is not like we are avoiding you; quite the opposite. It is all about the Syd to Bne sector being the only one suiting our needs. :(

Has been discussion on the Southbound one, but I am still flying solo on the roll call, so don't know that anyone else has booked that one yet. I think that if I lived in Brissie, I would probably make the same choice and cruise towards home.

Yes buffet is fr ... er .... um .... inclusive. We had a few midnight - 1am sessions. A slice of pizza, pie, salad, plate of fruit etc was usually quite absorbing.

I am assuming that apart from direction, these will be identical cruises.

Have you received any info about the shore tours? ;)

Yes we have!!! ..and it suits us right down to the ground! It actually collects us at Portside wharf and takes us home! :D

Yes buffet is fr ... er .... um .... inclusive. We had a few midnight - 1am sessions. A slice of pizza, pie, salad, plate of fruit etc was usually quite absorbing.

Ta Geoff. Sounds like me too, especially the 'absorbing' bit!:D

Yes we have!!! ..and it suits us right down to the ground! It actually collects us at Portside wharf and takes us home! :D

After enjoying the petit train in Noumea, we have chosen a Sydney to Newcastle scenic train ride. Is a bargain if you book your own - $18 each.

Welcome back scooterrach. You neve did come back on & tell us how your PD cruise went (unless I missed it:eek: ). You got on as we got off.

Hi Karen,

It was the most amazing holiday of my life, don't know if you knew this before I went can't remember what I had said in my pre cruise posts, but I have a severe physical disability that restricts me of course in taking holidays. I'm in a wheelchair and need care 24/7.

I am almost always tired, but on that ship I rested. I felt fantastic, I did everything and had a ball. Met up with fellow CC's and had the most amazing time.

Hence I'm going again, this time on SP with my man!

Rach

Hi Karen,

It was the most amazing holiday of my life, don't know if you knew this before I went can't remember what I had said in my pre cruise posts, but I have a severe physical disability that restricts me of course in taking holidays. I'm in a wheelchair and need care 24/7.

I am almost always tired, but on that ship I rested. I felt fantastic, I did everything and had a ball. Met up with fellow CC's and had the most amazing time.

Hence I'm going again, this time on SP with my man!

Rach

Really pleased to hear you had such a fantastic time! I hope the next one goes just as well for you :)

After enjoying the petit train in Noumea, we have chosen a Sydney to Newcastle scenic train ride. Is a bargain if you book your own - $18 each.

Ha ha. Sounds a much better deal and less expensive than the petit train. The last time we went on that, the driver was as full as forty cats! :eek: Well, less than sober maybe.

OK, you can say it free buffet, free icecream, free hotdogs, free pizza, free room service. Cheers..Les No additional charge !!

I don't think so Les. We intend to milk this one for just a bit longer yet :D

If Princess is like P&O, when you receive your cruise tickets you'll get the shore tour book, duty free shopping discounts, the works. We got all this with the tickets for our 2 nighter Brisbane - Sydney on Pacific Sun earlier in the year!

Has been discussion on the Southbound one, but I am still flying solo on the roll call, so don't know that anyone else has booked that one yet. I think that if I lived in Brissie, I would probably make the same choice and cruise towards home.

Still thinking about it Geoff! We just need to get the payment for September out of the way first, then we'll do the sums!

Kym

If Princess is like P&O, when you receive your cruise tickets you'll get the shore tour book, duty free shopping discounts, the works. We got all this with the tickets for our 2 nighter Brisbane - Sydney on Pacific Sun earlier in the year!

I guess we will test the level of skill. We are resigned to printing out our boarding pass - no blue folder, but I would find it really wierd if they mailed out anything more than the Cruise Answer Book with the luggage tags.

Still just over a year to go, so hopefully a special or two to be found. Brochure price for cheapest fare is $100 cheaper than PD's equivilent trip.

Archived