I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

@ marymcgol

What time do you arrive at the airport and what time do you leave on the ship also i need the number of people and if anyone is under 12 and 16 years old.

We will get into CPH around 9:30AM on Sept 7th and leave on Sept 8th at 16:00 - we will probably try to arrive at the ship around 14:00 - 14:30 - I am guessing we will need to allow about 30 minutes for cab from hotel to ship. I am traveling with my husband (just the 2 of us) both over 16!!

Thanks for any guidance

Okay so a 24 hour transportation card will not work out.

but if you buy a 4 zone clip card (klippekort) a ticket with 10 trips in 4 zones then i think that you are covered, the card cost 240 DKK

From the airport to the city there is 3 zones per person so you can either stamp it twice and use 8 zones (and waste a clip) or stamp it once and buy 2 extra zones so you got the needed 6 zones.

A 2 zone single ticket cost 24 DKK.

The trip to Roskilde is 8 zones so here you simply just stamp in 4 times to Roskilde and 4 times back to Copenhagen.

Depending on what you do from the airport you have either used your clip card or you have one clip left with 4 zones.

This last clip you can use on getting to the pier because travels in the downtown area is only 2 zones so you have just enough zones left to get to the pier or to get to or from Tivoli

So transport is 240 DKK plus 24,5 DKK

Entrance to the viking ship museum is 100 DKK plus 80 DKK if you want to sail on one of the viking ships.

So depending on solution everything between 440 DKK and 624,5 DKK but its include transport from the airport.

What would be the minimum time we should budget for a trip to the Viking Museum in Roskilde?

For the time at Roskilde, maybe 1-1.5 hours to leisurely see the museum. If you do the harbor sail, that is another hour. If you do the guided tour of the ship hall, another 45 minutes .....

There is also a Catheral that you can tour in Roskilde, but we didn't tour it.

We had taken the bus from the train station. Just ask the bus driver or someone else to make sure you get off at the correct location.

We ended up walking back to the train station for the return trip ... almost getting caught in the crossfire of a father/son water fight .... The look on Dad's face was PRICELESS when he realized that we were in "danger" of being soaked.

@ marymcgol

Oh i misunderstood the word budget but now you know the price also. :)

The train trip takes about 25-30 minutes each way depending on departure (calculated from the central station) so 3,5-4 hours in total if you also want to see the town itself.

The bus is number 203 to Veddelev and departs from just outside the train station in Roskilde or you could walk to and from the museum in 20-30 minutes time.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/Roskilde.pdf

This has probably been addressed here, but just double checking. Are there any hotels within walking distance of Freeport Pier? I'm thinking no, looking at the area, and the research that I have already done.

Someone I know wants to walk - I would just take a taxi, myself....:rolleyes:

Failing that, I decent 3-4* hotel for one night would be fine, too. They do not have time to tour - just a pre-night stay. Thanks!

It will be our first trip to Copenhagen. As of now we are considering either Mayfair or the Square Hotels.

My friend from work indicated it is very easy to go by train from the airport to the above hotels (?).

Can any of you advise how to get on the train from the airport and where should we get off? How long would be for the walk from downtown train to the hotels. We both are in our 60's and each will have one carry one and 1 large bag.

Thank you.

Both the Mayfair and The Square are in walking distance from the central station (København H) and there are 6 Øresund trains every hour stopping at Tårnby, Ørestad and København H and 1 Intercity trains every hour only stopping at Ørestad and København H.

The Square is located approx 450 meters away and The Mayfair approx 300 meters away on but The Square is better located in the downtown area called Indre By and Mayfair is located in the Vesterbro quarter bordering to Indre By.

Actually its only the central station and Tivoli that's separating The Mayfair from the downtown area because Tivoli is located on the site of the old city fortress that protected the city.

The city parks of Ørsted Parken and Østre Anlæg (with the botanical garden and The National Gallery of Denmark) and Kastellet (with the Little Mermaid and Resistance Museum) is also a part of the old fortress.

Both the Mayfair and The Square are in walking distance from the central station (København H) and there are 6 Øresund trains every hour stopping at Tårnby, Ørestad and København H and 1 Intercity trains every hour only stopping at Ørestad and København H.

The Square is located approx 450 meters away and The Mayfair approx 300 meters away on but The Square is better located in the downtown area called Indre By and Mayfair is located in the Vesterbro quarter bordering to Indre By.

Actually its only the central station and Tivoli that's separating The Mayfair from the downtown area because Tivoli is located on the site of the old city fortress that protected the city.

The city parks of Ørsted Parken and Østre Anlæg (with the botanical garden and The National Gallery of Denmark) and Kastellet (with the Little Mermaid and Resistance Museum) is also a part of the old fortress.

Thanks - Danish viking for the advise.

We'll be in Copenhagen in May for 2 nights before leaving on our cruise.

I thought we'd take the metro from the airport to our hotel, Best Western hotel city. I believe the station is Kongens Nytorv and the walk to the hotel is about 2 blocks. What is the fare for this ride?

We arrive around 1pm and will probably arrive at our hotel around 2:30. My ideas for our first day is to get settled in our room then take one of the canal boat trips. Are we able to get off at the little mermaid and catch another boat back, or do we stay on the boat for the entire trip?

That evening I was thinking of eating in the Nyhavn area and going for a stroll. Do you have an idea of the cost of that?

The second day I thought of doing a walking tour and having dinner in Tivoli. How long would it take to walk to Tivoli from Nyhavn?

Is there a recommended restaurant in Tivoli or near the Nyhavn area?

We will take a taxi to the pier the following morning.

Do you have any other suggestions of things to do or see on our day and a half in Copenhagen?

That was indeed alot of questions but I will get back to you in a few days with some answer and suggestions.

Sorry Danish Viking,

When I went back to read my questions, yes, there were a lot of questions.

Sorry about that.

Thank you.:o

I was looking at the hotel - Clarion Neptun.

How would we get to the hotel from the airport and then to the dock?

Is there anything around this hotel?

Is the Hop On/Hop Off bus have a stop near the hotel?

@ SFO-F/A

The metro ticket cost 36 DKK for one way but if you buy the city pass for 24 hours (75 DKK) or 72 hours (190 DKK) you can travel all over Copenhagen (+the airport) all that you want.

If you take the hop on/hop off canal tours you can just get of whenever you want and the boat also stops by the little mermaid.

The ticket cost 70 DKK for and is valid for 24 hours so you can stay as long as you want by the little mermaid.

Dinner at the restaurants at Nyhavn will probably run up to 150-200 DKK per person and beer/wine on top of that.

Nyhavn 17 and Nyhavns Færgekro and Skipperkroen is recommended.

It takes around 30 minutes non stop to walk from Nyhavn to Tivoli.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Nyhavn,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Tivoli,+Vesterbrogade,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&geocode=FXuZUQMdsinAACEK4WJfOqqUWSm7ktrLPFNSRjGIP1U0ob6qjQ%3BFZqHUQMd87u_ACH3i9HHXqeI3SkZYwGlDVNSRjHWlnUidM1_Qg&oq=tivoli&dirflg=w&doflg=ptk&mra=ls&t=m&z=15

Cafe Ultimo (italian) or Grøften and Færgekroen (danish dishes)

http://www.tivoli.dk/composite-6574.htm

The national museum is free of charge so that could be a good place to visit and see Denmarks history but i will suggest to see Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek and that cost 75 DKK.

http://www.glyptoteket.com/

http://natmus.dk/besoeg-museerne/nationalmuseet/

@ phabric

The hotel is just around the corner from Kongens Nytorv metro station.

http://map.krak.dk/m/92j66

Metro line M2 will get you directly from the airport to Kongens Nytorv

The metro ticket cost 36 DKK for the 3 zoners needed from the airport.

But if you buy the city pass for 24 hours (75 DKK) or 72 hours (190 DKK) you can travel all over Copenhagen (+the airport) all that you want.

Is there anything around the hotel, yes there is :-)

Amalienborg Palace, Rosenborg Palace, Nyhavn, Canal Boat Tour, Strøget shopping street, The royal danish theatre (including the new playhouse), and the Opera, The stock exchange and, Rundetårn and Christiansborg Castle (danish parliament).

But i need to know what date and on what terminal your ship are departing from?

@ phabric

The hotel is just around the corner from Kongens Nytorv metro station.

http://map.krak.dk/m/92j66

Metro line M2 will get you directly from the airport to Kongens Nytorv

The metro ticket cost 36 DKK for the 3 zoners needed from the airport.

But if you buy the city pass for 24 hours (75 DKK) or 72 hours (190 DKK) you can travel all over Copenhagen (+the airport) all that you want.

Is there anything around the hotel, yes there is :-)

Amalienborg Palace, Rosenborg Palace, Nyhavn, Canal Boat Tour, Strøget shopping street, The royal danish theatre (including the new playhouse), and the Opera, The stock exchange and, Rundetårn and Christiansborg Castle (danish parliament).

But i need to know what date and on what terminal your ship are departing from?

We will be on the Emerald Princess August 19, 2013, yes 2013 (like to plan early). We stopped in Copenhagen in 2009 for the day and used the Hop On/Hop Off bus that had a stop at the dock. We might want to do that again.

Can you buy the City Pass online? What site?

How would we get from the hotel to the dock?

Is this a nice hotel?

I forgot to ask.

Is there signs showing the way to the Metro station at the airport?

Are the signs in Danish and English to the Metro and also inside the airport?

How do we get to Metro Line M2 - is there stairs, elevator, moving stairs or is it on street level?

Is it easy with 1 suitcase and 1 hand luggage each?

We plan arriving Saturday or Sunday and if the flights are the same for next year around 10:30am. How long do you think going through customs/immigration?

If you are lucky you can take bus number 26 to the cruise pier but the case is that they will open the new cruise pier next year and right now there are no plans for public transportation to the new cruise terminal but i´m guessing that they will show up later this year or the start of next year.

It´s more easy to buy the city pass at the airport train station or else you can buy them at dsb.dk but i only think the web shop is in danish.

http://www.dsb.dk/find-og-kob/landingpages/produktoversigt/

The hotel is rated 40 out of 121 hotels in copenhagen so somewere in the middle.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g189541-d206318-Reviews-Clarion_Collection_Hotel_Neptun-Copenhagen_Zealand.html

Regarding the metro question you can have a look on the airports website, but i will say that the metro platform is easy to handle and all signs are in english so no worries there.

But remember to go to the metro platform and not the platforms of the trains.

http://www.cph.dk/CPH/UK/MAIN/Parking+and+Transport/Metro/

@ SFO-F/A

The metro ticket cost 36 DKK for one way but if you buy the city pass for 24 hours (75 DKK) or 72 hours (190 DKK) you can travel all over Copenhagen (+the airport) all that you want.

If you take the hop on/hop off canal tours you can just get of whenever you want and the boat also stops by the little mermaid.

The ticket cost 70 DKK for and is valid for 24 hours so you can stay as long as you want by the little mermaid.

Dinner at the restaurants at Nyhavn will probably run up to 150-200 DKK per person and beer/wine on top of that

Nyhavn 17 and Nyhavns Færgekro and Skipperkroen is recommended.

It takes around 30 minutes non stop to walk from Nyhavn to Tivoli.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Nyhavn,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Tivoli,+Vesterbrogade,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&geocode=FXuZUQMdsinAACEK4WJfOqqUWSm7ktrLPFNSRjGIP1U0ob6qjQ%3BFZqHUQMd87u_ACH3i9HHXqeI3SkZYwGlDVNSRjHWlnUidM1_Qg&oq=tivoli&dirflg=w&doflg=ptk&mra=ls&t=m&z=15

Cafe Ultimo (italian) or Grøften and Færgekroen (danish dishes)

http://www.tivoli.dk/composite-6574.htm

The national museum is free of charge so that could be a good place to visit and see Denmarks history but i will suggest to see Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek and that cost 75 DKK.

http://www.glyptoteket.com/

http://natmus.dk/besoeg-museerne/nationalmuseet/

Thank you very much, this is quite helpful. :)

I have been looking at the Clarion Hotels, either the Mayfair or the Neptun.

In your opinion which would be in a better location for things to do, getting from airport/dock.

Thank you for all your help you have given everyone, it is so nice to have help and opinions of people who live in the cities and countries we plan to visit.

I have been looking at the Clarion Hotels, either the Mayfair or the Neptun.

In your opinion which would be in a better location for things to do, getting from airport/dock.

Thank you for all your help you have given everyone, it is so nice to have help and opinions of people who live in the cities and countries we plan to visit.

Last June, we stayed at the Clarion Mayfair. We had the standard room (on the small side, but modern and clean). It's located only 2 short blocks from the main train station, with easy access to the airport. There's a "Gentlemens" club across the street, but no problem at all.

Archived