I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Hello....

We are planning a 5 day pre cruise stay in Denmark. We spent 2 days in copenhagen on a previous cruise and loved it.....we rented a car and visited Kronborg , Fredricksborg , Tivoli , Nyhaven , Rosenborg Slot as well as other lovely sites.

This time we are thinking of renting a car and perhaps visiting a charming seaside village for a night. Aero looks perfect , love the houses , biking , beach etc. Also considering the Cliffs of Mon.....we will be traveling with our 3 kids and any suggestions would be welcome...

Kim

Do the bus drivers call out the names of the stops as I am sure we will have no idea where to get off for the sites?

If we end up having to take a taxi from Freeport to say Nyhavn, how much approx. do you think it would cost. Would the driver be happy to stow a wheelchair in the boot? Also, to get back to the ship, where are the taxi ranks. Questions, questions! Thanks.

Hi Danish Viking,

Most of the time I lurk here to get ideas from all the questions of others but I have been known to come up with a new question that I hope you can help me with.

I'll be spending two nights in Copenhagen before our cruise on the Eurodam. On the full day (Saturday), I would like to go for a nice lunch of smørebrød. My original idea was to go big and go to Ida Davidsen, but I see that this place appears to be only be opened Monday through Friday. Do you have some quality suggestions for places to go that are opened on Saturday? Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

Cathy

Do the bus drivers call out the names of the stops as I am sure we will have no idea where to get off for the sites?

If we end up having to take a taxi from Freeport to say Nyhavn, how much approx. do you think it would cost. Would the driver be happy to stow a wheelchair in the boot? Also, to get back to the ship, where are the taxi ranks. Questions, questions! Thanks.

We found Denmark to be a very friendly and helpful city. We would tell the bus driver .. and the people near us on the bus ... where we were heading. Everyone was so great about making sure we got off at the right stop and heading the right direction.

Hi Danish viking!

Thanks for taking the time to answer questions!

I'll be on HAL's Baltic Jewels cruise and we'll have only 7 hours in Copenhagen. I'm thinking of joining the SPB tours and I can't choose between the Walking tour or the Panoramic tour. If you don't mind, can you have a look at the 2 different itineraries? It seems like the Panoramic tour doesn't take you around the main part of the city on foot?

https://www.spb-tours.com/tallinn-scan/en/copenhagen

Which one is better? Since we're only in town for a few hours, we want to have a brief overview of the city yet also experience the city. Thank you for your help!

We are arriving on June 23/2012, approximately 11 o'clock in the morning. Can you suggest the best way to get from the airport to the Clarion Collection Mayfair? And from there to the Freeport terminal on Sunday, June 24th? (We will likely have the Copenhagen Card.) I believe the hotel is only 2 blocks from the train station but I'm not sure which station and whether that means the train or the metro. Thanks for all your help on this thread, Danish Viking. :)

I'm having a hard time figuring out what Metro tickets we need for our visit to Copenhagen. I've looked through this thread and seen some examples, but can't find one that applies to our travels. This is what we are planning. There will be 4 people for each trip.

Airport to Kongens Nytorv (hotel) on Metro

Kongens Nytorv to Norreport (to connect to S-Tog to Nordhavn)

then the reverse

Norreport to Kongens Nytorv (hotel) on Metro

Kongens Nytorv to Airport

I don't think we can utilize the 24 hour cards as we are staying overnight in Copenhagen and won't be leaving for the cruise port within the 24 hour period.

Could you please tell me how many klippekorts we'll need to cover all these trips for the best cost savings.

Am I correct that it will be less expensive for us to use the Metro/S-Tog to get to and from the port as opposed to taking taxis each way? Is the money saved worth the extra trouble of doing the trip by public transit.

Thanks.

Lynn

I was just looking at another website that said the Metro and S-Tog tickets are interchangeable. Does that mean when we get on at Kongens Nytorv we can transfer to the S-Tog to Nordhavn without paying extra?

I've managed to plan every other aspect of our 10-day cruise, but this ticket thing has me totally stumped!!!:confused: That's what I get for living in a city that charges one Metro ticket if you go 1 stop or 100.

Lynn

@ brazilgirl

Ærø is wonderful and can be done in a loooong daytrip but i suggest a overnight stay at a hotel or a charming Inn or maybe a farm holiday :-)

http://www.arre.dk/tourist-on-aeroe.aspx

@ firsttimeruk

The next stop will be on the screens but also with a recorded voice but feel free to ask the person next to you in the bus maybe they know or maybe they don´t.

@ clmom

Yes all supermarkets, drugstores, gas stations and so on sells wine and spirits.

@ CathyK2

Tricky questions are always welcome, anyway here are the Smørrebrødsrestaurants that i recommend.

Spisestedet I Magasin

Kongens Nytorv 13

København K

Klejn

Nansensgade 24

København K

Turesen

Turesensgade 6

København K

Grøften (in Tivoli)

Vesterbrogade 3, Tivoli

København V

Aaman´s

Øster Farimagsgade 10

København Ø

Københavner Cafeen

Badstuestræde 10

København K

Lauterbach i Lumskebugten

Esplanaden 21

København K

@ ImaFrugalCruiser

That is Copenhagen Central Station (København H)

Just take the train from the airport, its simply and no change of trains.

When you get to the pier just take any S-trains from track 9 and 10 and get of at Nordhavn Station from there you can walk to the pier.

Just turn right when you get out of the station and cross under the railroad when possible.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Nordhavn+st,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Orientkaj,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&sll=55.869147,11.228027&sspn=8.552914,19.665527&geocode=FRAAUgMdFR7AACkNFsfZ7lJSRjGbh0DwCZFRdw%3BFX8SUgMdSEPAACkdaQn26lJSRjFoIC8HvzE4tA&oq=orientkaj&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=h&z=16

@ locarno

If i was you i would rather go by myself or use the Hop on/hop off busses and safe some money

I can´t find out if you will see some museums from the inside or if it just from the outside that you will see this places because 3 hours is not alot of time to see all that from the inside also.

@ Moose Tracks

Airport to Kongens Nytorv 3 zones x 4 = 12 zones

Kongens Nytorv to Nordhavn 2 zones x 4 = 8 zones

Nordhavn to Kongens Nytorv 2 zones x 4 = 8 zones

Kongens Nytorv to airport 3 zones x 4 = 12 zones

all klippekort/clipcard has 10 clips and luckily the 4 zone clip card at 240 DKK suits your needs perfectly.

first trip = 3 clips

second trip = 2 clip

third trip = 2 clips

fourth trip = 3 clips

The same trips using single tickets would be 480 DKK but with the klippekort only 240 DKK

Danish Viking...

The more I study your amazing country , the more confused I get! So many amazing options!

I have 2 ideas....

one would be to stay 2 days in Copenhagen and 2 in Aero.....

the other would be a visit perhaps to North Zealand beach towns ( a night in an Inn perhaps) like GillEleje or Hornbaek , a visit to Mons Klint , Dragor and 2 days in Copenhagen.......

Which do you think is better?

thanks for the link!

kim

@ Moose Tracks

Airport to Kongens Nytorv 3 zones x 4 = 12 zones

Kongens Nytorv to Nordhavn 2 zones x 4 = 8 zones

Nordhavn to Kongens Nytorv 2 zones x 4 = 8 zones

Kongens Nytorv to airport 3 zones x 4 = 12 zones

all klippekort/clipcard has 10 clips and luckily the 4 zone clip card at 240 DKK suits your needs perfectly.

first trip = 3 clips

second trip = 2 clip

third trip = 2 clips

fourth trip = 3 clips

The same trips using single tickets would be 480 DKK but with the klippekort only 240 DKK

Thank you for being so helpful and sorting this out for me. You certain save a lot of money purchasing the 10 klippekort.

Lynn

I apologize if this has already been covered, but I was wondering if there is a hop on hop off boat or water taxi that I could take to see the major sites in Copenhagen that are reachable without too much walking from the waterfront. I see there is a boat that stops at the Marriott, where we'll be spending the night pre-cruise, so if we could just jump on there, that would be wonderful. However, it is unclear to me whether you can get on and off the boat or if you simply take it around to its various stops. I know it is much more limited than the Hop On Hop Off bus, but suspect it is also cheaper, so I'd like to get more info on it. I figure we can walk to Tivoli from the Marriott (but correct me if I'm wrong!) and I could probably walk to Nyhaven, but my husband is a little more limited in what he can do, so I'm hoping to find some way to get around without a lot of walking. The HOHO bus is a bit pricey, considering we have such limited time (and will be jetlagging, too) so I'm not sure if that would be worthwhile for us. We are not interested in seeing EVERYTHING (which would be impossible in a day, anyway!) but at this point I haven't done enough research to have a really good idea of what we DO want to see, other than Nyhaven!

From looking at Google Earth, it looks like there are a few buses that go close to the Marriott, so they may be an option - I'm just not sure whether they hit the major tourist attractions.

Any advice/info would be appreciated!

Where would I purchase the city pass? I plan to start off by taking bus 26 from the Langiere pier. Can I get the pass near the pier? Do I need DK to purchase or can I use a credit card?

Thanks for all you help.

The hagen part of the name should be pronounced like haegen, but the Germans however put alot of pressure on the letter a so its pronounced like haahgen.

We Danes however just call it København :-)

And there is only one Marriott hotel in town and its located behind Tivoli, The National Museum and Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek and you can also walk along the harbour.

We are staying at the Marriott post cruise so thanks for these suggestions. When you say "walk along the harbour", is this a route that will lead to the Little Mermaid and if so, is it reasonable to try to walk from the Marriott to the Little Mermaid?

We wil check out either the National Museum and Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek. Which option would be better with kids ages 11-17?

We plan to go to Tivoli pre-cruise because the kids can't wait.:)

Pre-cruise we are in a different area, the Stay Hotel. Do you know what would be the best option for getting from the airport to the hotel?

Thanks.

@ brazilgirl

Dragør is not worth the hassle if you take to Gilleleje and Hornbæk.

If you go to the cliffs of Møn you can also get the small town feeling in Præstø, and Stege (main town on Møn) and probably also Vordingborg even though the town is a little bit bigger than the others.

@ roothy123

The hop on hop off boat cost 70 DKK for 24 hours and can be combined with the busses for 210 DKK

http://www.stromma.dk/en/SIGHTSEEING-TOURS/Hop-on-hop-off-boat/

All the busses drives areound the inner core of the city so the only bunlic bus that gets you to all the tourist sites is 11A.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/dinrejse/kort/Pages/Kort.aspx?direction_gid=9014200001110000&linegid=9011200001100000&line_name=11A

Tivoli is in walking distance but Nyhavn is not bus use bus 11A from the bus stop at Tietgensgade between Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek and Tivoli.

@ dakacz

Maybe the kiosk at the langelinie outlet center sells them but else you have to walk to Østerport station station and buy it there.

@ World Gallery

No just the harbour baths and Islands Brygge and the streets up to Nyhavn.

You can walk to The little mermaid in around 45 minutes.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=marriott&daddr=Den+Lille+Havfrue,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.680972,12.586384&spn=0.033535,0.076818&geocode=FWRwUQMdLt2_ACG4dC_hcp1J3CnxybSfbFNSRjHKc5QNEWPFtQ%3BFUrOUQMdcj_AACFXiqbByOtsJA&oq=den+lille+havfrue&t=h&dirflg=w&doflg=ptk&mra=ltm&z=14

The national museum will most likely be the better option for kids and also its free :p because Glyptoteket is probably to boring for the kids, but if they like Greek, Roman and Egyptian history its probably the place to be.

Regarding the transportation there are a few options.

You can take the harbour busses 992 from bryggebroen to Knippelsbro and walk to Christianshavn metro station and take metro line M2 to the airport.

Or take bus number 250 S to the central station and a Øresund train to the airport.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=STAY+Copenhagen,+Islands+Brygge&daddr=Lufthavnen,+Kastrup&hl=da&ll=55.651636,12.60767&spn=0.067121,0.153637&sll=55.643765,12.606385&sspn=0.067134,0.153637&geocode=FSBEUQMd_8C_ACEhkfqLDymC1inXJV5KZFNSRjFujD2XpwyzVg%3BFcfTUAMdS_bAACELs1og_7yV_A&oq=luft&t=h&dirflg=r&ttype=now&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ltm&z=13&start=0

We will be staying at the Hotel Bethel pre cruise, which I know is right where the Netto-Badene boats dock (does the Netto-Baden also let you hop on and off?) and plan to do that the evening we arrive. If the Netto-Baden boat doesn't allow H-o Ho we will take the Stromma boat that you mentioned, do you catch that at the same location as the Netto boat?

The next morning I hope to be able to walk (which I beleive is only about a 30 min. walk or less) to Rosenborg Castle and tour that and walk back in time to be picked up to go the the Cruise dock at 1PM. Can you give me your thoughts on this plan.

@ dakacz

Maybe the kiosk at the langelinie outlet center sells them but else you have to walk to Østerport station station and buy it there.

@ World Gallery

No just the harbour baths and Islands Brygge and the streets up to Nyhavn.

You can walk to The little mermaid in around 45 minutes.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=marriott&daddr=Den+Lille+Havfrue,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.680972,12.586384&spn=0.033535,0.076818&geocode=FWRwUQMdLt2_ACG4dC_hcp1J3CnxybSfbFNSRjHKc5QNEWPFtQ%3BFUrOUQMdcj_AACFXiqbByOtsJA&oq=den+lille+havfrue&t=h&dirflg=w&doflg=ptk&mra=ltm&z=14

The national museum will most likely be the better option for kids and also its free :p because Glyptoteket is probably to boring for the kids, but if they like Greek, Roman and Egyptian history its probably the place to be.

Regarding the transportation there are a few options.

You can take the harbour busses 992 from bryggebroen to Knippelsbro and walk to Christianshavn metro station and take metro line M2 to the airport.

Or take bus number 250 S to the central station and a Øresund train to the airport.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=STAY+Copenhagen,+Islands+Brygge&daddr=Lufthavnen,+Kastrup&hl=da&ll=55.651636,12.60767&spn=0.067121,0.153637&sll=55.643765,12.606385&sspn=0.067134,0.153637&geocode=FSBEUQMd_8C_ACEhkfqLDymC1inXJV5KZFNSRjFujD2XpwyzVg%3BFcfTUAMdS_bAACELs1og_7yV_A&oq=luft&t=h&dirflg=r&ttype=now&noexp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ltm&z=13&start=0

Thanks! We will have our luggage, which is about 7 suitcases and 7 small bags (one of each per person) Can we take all of this luggage onine the bus and train? Is there storage? If not, what do you think the cost of two taxis will be (we have to split up since we are 7 unless there are taxi vans for 7).

Archived