I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

So, you can take public transportation from the cruise ship to the airport without any problems. How would you go about doing that?

Also, the same from the Radisson Blu Falconer to the Cruise Ship?

Thanks for your answers in advance.

@ phabric

Based only on location i would rule out the Tivoli Hotel and Clarion Mayfair.

Mayfair because its not the most charming place in town, its located near a former Red light district.

Its not a Red Light district anymore but you can still find shops with funny videos and stripclubs on the nearby Istedgade.

The Tivoli Hotel because of its location between the tracks leading into the central station and a dual carriageway, on the plus side you can use the very convenient bus 11A both to the central station and downtown Copenhagen and Nyhavn.

@ marving9999

From the Falconer you have 2 options (3 options if you are not travelling on a weekend or public holiday)

And i can´t remember if you told me the date or docking information but I´m guessing the freeport terminal.

1) Take bus number 18 from Frederiksberg station that is located almost next door to the hotel.

This bus is ending at Nordhavn station so you just stay in the bus until you reach the end of the line.

The bus takes 22 minutes

From Nordhavn you just walk in 10 minutes time until you reach the cruise terminal.

http://maps.google.dk/maps?saddr=Nordhavn+st,+K%C3%B8benhavn&daddr=Klubiensvej+1,+K%C3%B8benhavn&hl=da&ie=UTF8&ll=55.70811,12.592585&spn=0.008414,0.019205&sll=55.70811,12.594559&sspn=0.008414,0.019205&geocode=FRAAUgMdFR7AACkNFsfZ7lJSRjGbh0DwCZFRdw%3BFZwUUgMdwDDAACkTvFR361JSRjFzC5hpL-zA5Q&dirflg=w&mra=ls&t=m&z=16

2) Take the Metro towards Vestamager or Lufthaven at get off at Nørreport, from here you take any northbound S-train that are heading for Farum, Holte, Hillerød and Klampenborg but not Østerport.

The next step is to get off at Nordhavn station and follows the same route plan as above.

This trip takes 15 minutes but requires a change from the Metro to the S-train.

3) The same as above but now you get off at Østerport instead and catch bus 26 towards Færgehavn Nord (not Langelinie because the line splits up after Østerport)

The bus will drop you off just outside the freeport terminal at the bus stop called Kalkbrænderihavnsgade.

But the branch out to the freeport will not run on weekends and public holidays.

common for both option 2 and 3 is that you will change at Nørreport and this station is undergoing a huge restoration so it will probably be a little but noisy and dirty around the station.

On the way to the airport you luckily only have 2 options

1) you go to Nordhavn station and take any southbound S-train to Østerport where you change to a Øresund train heading either for the airport or Malmö and other swedish towns.

2) you are in port on a regular weekday (monday to friday) and therefore taking the bus 26 towards Ålholm Plads and get of at Østerport station.

Here you can find the bus at Østerport station

S-trains are at track 5 and 6

Trains towards the airport is at track 3 and 4.

http://www.moviatrafik.dk/Terminalkort/%c3%98sterport.pdf

@ phabric

Based only on location i would rule out the Tivoli Hotel and Clarion Mayfair.

Mayfair because its not the most charming place in town, its located near a former Red light district.

Its not a Red Light district anymore but you can still find shops with funny videos and stripclubs on the nearby Istedgade.

The Tivoli Hotel because of its location between the tracks leading into the central station and a dual carriageway, on the plus side you can use the very convenient bus 11A both to the central station and downtown Copenhagen and Nyhavn.

Thanks for the information.

Would the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel be a better choice?

No that would be airport to hotel, hotel to ship, ship to hotel and finally hotel to airport.

And when I'm thinking about it its more closer to 1000 than 800 kroners.

A breakdown will look something like this.

Airport to Marriott - around 300-350 DKK

Marriott to to Freeport terminal - Around 200 DKK

The reason why the short trip is not way cheaper, is that there is a starting fee of around 40 kroners.

The prices changes if you get one from the street that is a little bit cheaper or if you call one that is for some odd reason a little bit more expensive.

First, thank you for all your helpful information! We do not live in the USA or Canada and exchanging currency is difficult. Will we be able to go to a bank or currency exchange store/kiosk to exchange US$ for Danish kroner as well as euros and/or rubles? Do we need to have our passports or airline tickets/cruise itinerary with us in order to do so?

250 to 300 DKK should do it, two 3 zone single tickets will be 72 DKK and if you are planning on using public transportation more than this trip then maybe a 2 zone klippekort (145 DKK) with 10 clips/stamps will do the trick.

Use 3 clips on the way from the airport and 3 clips to the airport.

You have now 4 clips left that you can use touring the city or use the from your hotel to the cruise terminal because inside Copenhagen you will only need 2 clips for 2 persons so it is 2 clips to the cruise terminal and 2 clips back to the hotel.

If you were planning on using taxi's for all trips you will be looking at a price around 800-1000 DKK and the klippekort only cost 145 DKK.

We're a group of 8 so I understand we would need 48 zones between us from the airport to the centre and back. My question is: could we buy a 5 zone clipcard and clip 5 times for each way, which I think would be cheaper even if we're "wasting" 1 zone each way. Or maybe it's impossible to use a 5 zone clip card for a 3 zone journey?

@ r1955

You are onto the right thing but remember that 2 children under 12 will travel for free with one adult and kids under 16 is only half price.

So if a kid between 12 and 15 years old was travelling with you it will just be half the zone than the adults. (in this case 2 zones instead of 3)

@ fortmontagu

Forex at the central station, airport and Strøget shopping street should be able to do the exchange without any problems.

@ r1955

You are onto the right thing but remember that 2 children under 12 will travel for free with one adult and kids under 16 is only half price.

So if a kid between 12 and 15 years old was travelling with you it will just be half the zone than the adults. (in this case 2 zones instead of 3)

Danish Viking, your help is much appreciated. We are 4 couples so just adults with no children. So I understand that I can use a 5 zone clipcard?

Danish Viking,

We are planning to go to Malmo after our cruise. We are currently thinking we will take a taxi from Freeport to the central station in Copenhagen, then the train to Malmo. Would this be the easiest way (Dh has trouble walking for extended periods of time). What would be the cost of this trip and can we do it with clip cards? I think I read something about another fee in Sweden, is there?

Are there any stops in Swedenbefore we get to Malmo central station?

Thank you in advance.

If anyone have done this, please help...

We are a family of 4 and we are staying at The Square Hotel. Would it be easier to just take a cab to the hotel or the train or bus would be a better choice?

Thanks.

I am still trying to figure out the hotels, people have mentioned so many.

I have read about Clarion Mayfair, Clarion Neptun, and Radison Blu Royal or Tivoli hotel.

The Clarion hotels have free breakfast and small evening food selection. The Radison and Tivoli would need to buy breakfast or take hotel room that includes it.

We plan on buying the 72 hours CP card.

Which would be a good choice for 2 nights?

We just returned from the Baltic cruise, stayed at clarion Mayfair the day we disembarked. We didn't have any issues with the area even though "Lady Love" is directly across the street. We had to wait a few hrs to store our luggage since it was busy with guests checking out to embark on their cruise. The food is the plus..plenty for us to eat especially after cruise food for eleven days..saved $$. Our dinner @ the Airport Hilton pre cruise (very nice hotel) was $143 for 2 without any alcohol. The staff @ Clarion were very friendly..even yelled out the window in the morning to the back patio where we were sitting to offer us coffee! The minus might be there isn't central air conditioning..it was about 75 degrees outside, but tolerable inside. We liked that you are close to Tivoli. We walked a couple of blocks & spent the whole evening there. FYI-taxi to the airport was $50. Have a great time wherever you stay!:)

We just returned from the Baltic cruise, stayed at clarion Mayfair the day we disembarked. We didn't have any issues with the area even though "Lady Love" is directly across the street. We had to wait a few hrs to store our luggage since it was busy with guests checking out to embark on their cruise. The food is the plus..plenty for us to eat especially after cruise food for eleven days..saved $$. Our dinner @ the Airport Hilton pre cruise (very nice hotel) was $143 for 2 without any alcohol. The staff @ Clarion were very friendly..even yelled out the window in the morning to the back patio where we were sitting to offer us coffee! The minus might be there isn't central air conditioning..it was about 75 degrees outside, but tolerable inside. We liked that you are close to Tivoli. We walked a couple of blocks & spent the whole evening there. FYI-taxi to the airport was $50. Have a great time wherever you stay!:)

Thank you for the information about the Mayfair.

How did you get from the port to the hotel?

What did they serve in the evening for food?

Were you able to walk to other places from the hotel or did you use the bus?

Danish Viking, as always, your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

After our long flight from Chicago, we'll have just one afternoon and evening in Copenhagen.

We'll be staying at the Radisson Blu Falconer Hotel. We know it's easy to get there from the airport via commuter train, but we'll probably take a taxi so we don't have to haul luggage around. I believe you have said that taxis take credit cards, but would we be smart to get some DKK at the airport?

After we check in, our plan is to do Rick Steves' self-guided walking tour, which will basically take us from City Hall along the Stroget to Nyhavn (where we are likely to have dinner) ending up at Amelienborg Palace and Square.

So our questions for this tour: How do we get from Radisson Blu Falconer to City Hall (public transportation preferred because no luggage) probably at around 1500 in the afternoon)? And then, how do we get from Amelienborg Palace back to the Radisson Blu Falconer (I'm guessing we would be doing this at about 2100 hours.)

What sort of transportation ticket would you recommend for these two trips?

I apologize if you have already answered these questions, but sometimes these threads become very difficult to search when one is looking for specific information.

Again, thank you so very much for your generosity in sharing so much information.

Hi. Reading a lot that Tivoli Garden should be visited at night. With our itinerary, it's a lot more convenient to visit during the day. Is it worth back tracking and doing at night instead. Also,is it possible to visit during the day and use the same ticket to revisit at night the same day?

Thank you!

Danish Viking, as always, your suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

After our long flight from Chicago, we'll have just one afternoon and evening in Copenhagen.

We'll be staying at the Radisson Blu Falconer Hotel. We know it's easy to get there from the airport via commuter train, but we'll probably take a taxi so we don't have to haul luggage around. I believe you have said that taxis take credit cards, but would we be smart to get some DKK at the airport?

After we check in, our plan is to do Rick Steves' self-guided walking tour, which will basically take us from City Hall along the Stroget to Nyhavn (where we are likely to have dinner) ending up at Amelienborg Palace and Square.

So our questions for this tour: How do we get from Radisson Blu Falconer to City Hall (public transportation preferred because no luggage) probably at around 1500 in the afternoon)? And then, how do we get from Amelienborg Palace back to the Radisson Blu Falconer (I'm guessing we would be doing this at about 2100 hours.)

What sort of transportation ticket would you recommend for these two trips?

I apologize if you have already answered these questions, but sometimes these threads become very difficult to search when one is looking for specific information.

Again, thank you so very much for your generosity in sharing so much information.

1) Radisson Blue is really just across the central station

2) It is literally next door to CIty Hall (refer to map on google or hotel site to get idea)

3) Circle bus 11A or route 26 wil be convenient to return to Hotel from Palace

4) If you buy 75 DKK city pass, your trip from airport as well as all local transport (including any boat bus) wil be covered.

5) Recommend getting a card with chip from Chase or CIti or BOA as normal American credit cards are not accepted at some places

1) Radisson Blue is really just across the central station

2) It is literally next door to CIty Hall (refer to map on google or hotel site to get idea)

3) Circle bus 11A or route 26 wil be convenient to return to Hotel from Palace

4) If you buy 75 DKK city pass, your trip from airport as well as all local transport (including any boat bus) wil be covered.

5) Recommend getting a card with chip from Chase or CIti or BOA as normal American credit cards are not accepted at some places

We appreciate your information, but we are staying at the Radisson Blu Falconer in The Fredericksburg area, not the Radisson Blu Royal.

Thank you for the information about the Mayfair.

How did you get from the port to the hotel?

What did they serve in the evening for food?

Were you able to walk to other places from the hotel or did you use the bus?

We took a taxi from the port to the hotel.

Dinner was a buffet-very small portions of pork with a few pieces of potato & carrot were placed in short glasses, salad, fruit, bread & cheese. Also had sm glasses with either tomato/mozzarella, herring/mustard/bread,etc. Very tiny pieces of cake. Although the portions were sm, no one was stopping someone from getting more. The menu may not always be the same. You pay for drinks. We had a beer & a bottle of H20 ($10 total).

We don't mind walking, so never took a bus..it depends what you want to see..I'm no expert, only there the one day. We walked down stroget st ( lots of shops), then across a canal, by the parliament building, some churches, etc. Tovoli is very close.

Hope this helps:)

Archived