HMC and Grand Cayman Updates?

JoeCruisin

Have any cruisers returned recently from HMC and/or Grand Cayman? I'm curious about HMC's condition after the storms. And does anyone have any information on when Grand Cayman will be back open to cruise ships? From what I have heard it sounds like it won't be up and running until 2005 but HAL has been keeping us in the dark. We are supposed to stop there during our 10/31 cruise on the Oosterdam. Hopefully it will get switched with a decent stop like Costa Maya or Progresso but I've heard rumors of Key West:mad: The 4 of us cruising have zero interest in stopping at Key West.

A couple of cruisers were on HMC for the first time last Friday. They reported that nearly all the green vegetation was stiped away by the wind and sand. And that new vegetation is growing.

Th cabanas couldn't be used - some have to be repaired - no electric in them.

The food area and beverage bars were all operational.

Sandy beach was great.

Progress was continuing with all the new features.

But no one mentioned anything about the clam shells.

We have some reports from people just back from a cruise on the Zuiderdam. HMC is up and running. They reported some brown vegetation caused by the salt water. Also the cabanas are not available. However, the rest of the island is supposedly as beautiful as ever.

Don't have any info on Grand Cayman, except to say I wouldn't count on it.

BTW, Joe. We'll be sharing HMC with you. I'm on the 10/30 sailing of the Maasdam out of Norfolk and we'll be at HMC on Monday from 11 - 6.

Marc

The October 31st sailing of the Oosterdam will now stop at Key West instead of Grand Caymen. Forcing a departure from Cozumel at 3 pm instead of 9pm. If you are unhappy please call Holland America and voice your opinion.

Maybe enough phone calls will bring about a change.

Unfortunately, this is another drawback to cruising during hurricane season, but as you can also see, it could affect winter cruises as well with some of these islands being so devastated. Scrambling for all these cruise ships to different islands at the last minute isn't easy, you can't just pick an island go to it because one of your ports is closed. Be patient with the cruise lines when these kind of things happen, just be glad you are able to cruise.

The October 31st sailing of the Oosterdam will now stop at Key West instead of Grand Caymen. Forcing a departure from Cozumel at 3 pm instead of 9pm. If you are unhappy please call Holland America and voice your opinion.

Now I'm really bummed - we'll have to leave Cozumel early? I'm definitely calling and complaining. I can understand the Key West for GC switch but don't impact another stop to do it.

I understand your frustration. But you have to keep in mind all the cruise ships that have to be rerouted. You now leave at 3 PM, but you'll arrive at 6 AM instead of 11 AM. I realize that most people are not going to be up at that early hour, but there may not have been much choice. Originally the day after Cozumel was a sea day on the way back to FLL, allowing the ship to depart late from Cozumel. With the revised itinerary the ship has to make sure it will arrive on time at Key West. HAL could have chosen to just eliminate Grand Cayman instead of subsituting Key West, but you know people would be just as upset with this solution.

Joe, I hope this explains why Cozumel was impacted to give you Key West.

We have some reports from people just back from a cruise on the Zuiderdam. HMC is up and running. They reported some brown vegetation caused by the salt water. Also the cabanas are not available. However, the rest of the island is supposedly as beautiful as ever.

Don't have any info on Grand Cayman, except to say I wouldn't count on it.

BTW, Joe. We'll be sharing HMC with you. I'm on the 10/30 sailing of the Maasdam out of Norfolk and we'll be at HMC on Monday from 11 - 6.

Marc

So maybe we'll run into each other on HMC? There's a good chance since it sounds like the pink cabana we reserved won't be operational.

So maybe we'll run into each other on HMC? There's a good chance since it sounds like the pink cabana we reserved won't be operational.
We're not going to be staying at the pink cabana either. What a coincidence.;)

We should be easy to spot. We reserved a blue clamshell. Seriously, I don't suppose you scuba dive. Would love to have someone to dive with.

I do understand the problems with logistics and believe me I am more concerned with the people on these devastated islands than with where I'll be drinking my frozen cocktails. I was just a little caught off guard since other cruises were going to Costa Maya. Since we've never been there it seemed like a nice swap. But Key West - who hasn't been there and done that a zillion times already? I guess we can just use it as an extra sea day. But leaving Cozumel to do it seems like you are killing 2 stops (GC and Coz) to get to Key West early. That I have a problem with. In the spirit of the times why don't we let everyone on the O vote?

I don't scuba dive. Have always wanted to but could never convince the wife to do it with me (the scuba diving that is:p ). We both love to snorkel though. That's one of the main reasons we wanted to go back to GC - the best snorkeling we have done. I imagine the scuba there must be outstanding as well. I wonder how HMC will be?

My personal observations of HMC are not exactly the same as others I have read.

We have been there so many times that perhaps there were differences I observed that a 'first timer' would not be aware of.

There were a total of 35 clamshells in place on the beach. I counted them. Some appeared to be brand new; others had a slightly weathered look but all were in A-l top condition.

The beach suffered erosion that was absolutely obvious to DH and me and to another cruiser we were with who knows HMC well. It is not severe but it did 'shrink' the beach just a bit.

The water has been 'roiled' if that is the word?? It is still its magnificent turquoise blue color and was as breathtakingly beautiful as ever. Still transfixes you with the beauty of it all. However, we could no longer see our feet when wading in the water. It is still clear and clean and the ocean floor is still as smooth as ever, however it will take some (unknown to me how long) time for all the sand or whatever to settle down to the bottom to allow the water to be that same sparkling clarity. We did not see any of the fish we were accustomed to swimming around us when we were in only knee deep water. I am very sure they will return soon as the water is still sparklingly clean and unspoiled. They sadly may have not survived the storm in huge number I am speculating and perhaps a few breeding seasons and we will have them back at your feet again (hopefully).

The barbeque area is wonderful as always. If it suffered any damage it is not obvious. We had one of the best lunches ever there as Chef Franz added some things to the salad area we had never seen before. He also added a few extra desserts we had never had before but HAPPILY, the wonderful brownies were available in generous quantity.

There may have been a few picnic benches missing here and there but for the most part, the seating remains about the same as before.

What sadded me alot was all of the missing flowers. All bougainvalia was blown to bits; not a flower in sight. It's only a matter of short time until they blossom again, I am sure.

The foliage was stipped, as previously stated, but it has been carefully pruned to approximately the same height and is neat and has been well tended to. New growth is already VERY obvious and the plantings have survived, are healthy, and will soon flourish again.

We watched as carpenters/workers pounded away on the WaterPark. It is coming along and hard to tell if any 'rebuilding' is being done or if it is simply being completed. Some beach area has been lost during the construction as it is roped off to keep pax out of the area. I could not determine if that is temporary and that beach will again be available when the building is completed.

There are a few cabanas missing; others are almost ready to be used again but IMO no big deal to rebuild/rewire/reopen. Only a short time for that to happen IMO

The shack where beach massages were given is gone; only a matter to time until it will be replaced (if they choose to rebuild it). No big deal to do, I wouldn't think.

The chapel is intact. Some of the stone work around the yellow (welcome to HMC) archway seems a 'bit weathered' but hey......it's the Bahamas....some weathering is fine IMO

Any specific questions I haven't answered, just ask and I'll try to 'remember'.

I don't scuba dive. Have always wanted to but could never convince the wife to do it with me (the scuba diving that is:p ). We both love to snorkel though. That's one of the main reasons we wanted to go back to GC - the best snorkeling we have done. I imagine the scuba there must be outstanding as well. I wonder of HMC will be?
Snorkeling at Grand Cayman 14 years ago is what convinced me I wanted to learn to scuba dive. I finally got to go back last year and dive there. It was excellent. But there are many other places just as good. DW tried learning, but she's claustrophobic and couldn't get over breathing 'fake' air. Took one of those intro to scuba type courses on our honeymoon, spent a 1/2 day in the pool, went out on the boat hit the water and got right back. I felt bad that she spend 1/2 a day learning and not being able to enjoy it. She does like snorkeling though.

I had posted questions about where to dive and one poster said that there is excellent, relatively shallow diving on HMC, so I figured I'd give it a try. Since DW doesn't dive, I'm limiting diving to two port (HMC and St. Thomas).

Don't suppose you'd be interested in learning in the next two weeks.:D

Thanks for the great update S7S. So what percentage of the cabanas would you say are open for business?

Orcrone - maybe I will look into scuba - do they have scuba classes/certifications on the ship?

I was just kidding about learning in the next two weeks. To the best of my knowledge HAL does not offer shipboard certification. However, a number of the ports, including HMC has scuba diving for non-certified divers. They teach you what to do and limit your depth to 30 feet. If you're thinking you might be interested, it's a good way to get your feet wet (sorry about the pun).

Grand Cayman was hit very hard by Ivan and is still recovering. Some hotels hope to be open in December or by the first of the year. Their infasturcture was hit hard and restoring power, water and communications are first in line. There is a web site - www.stormcarib.com that has postings from Grand Cayman. Some structures need repair and some don't exist any longer. One post said that Seven Mile Beach has been cleared of debris. Also Princess Cruise line has been dropping off emergency supplies to the island and calling it a sea day since no one can go ashore.

Grand Cayman is a favorite stop and I hope they recover soon.

Archived