Minors drinking while in port?

red1der1

The Longest "Yard"

Senor Frog's stretches the limits of recreation and refreshment with this elongated invention, which has spread in popularity throughout the world.

Cancun, Quintana Roo, Mexico - Small ideas often yield great results. Don't believe it? Just ask Senor Frog's, the Cancun landmark known around the world for its "anything goes" attitude.

In 1989, the restaurant's Cancun location introduced the take-home "Yard Glass" of beer. Sure, nearly 16 inches (40 centimeters) in height, the item isn't exactly considered "small," not comparatively speaking at least. But David Krouham, who spearheaded the Cancun restaurant's opening (on a budget of only $100,000) and soon after invented and added the "Yard Glass" to the menu, believed the novelty would fit well with the establishment's repertoire of nonstop activities, nightly musical entertainment and finger-friendly food.

Sure enough, he was right. Sixteen years later, the "Yard Glass" remains one of the chain's most popular items, Senor Frog's Cancun has garnered a reputation as a world-class fun spot, and David Krouham has become the CEO of Grupo Anderson's, the parent company of Senor Frog's. If that weren't enough, the glass itself has spawned so many imitators that versions of it can be seen at festivals and theme restaurants everywhere around the world.

Senor Frog's, owned and operated by Grupo Anderson's, Mexico's largest and most recognized restaurant company, opened its first restaurant in Mazatlan in 1969. Twenty years later, the concept was brought to Cancun, the chain's most successful locale, and the site attributed with, among other things, the introduction of Reggae music and karaoke to Mexico. There are currently 14 Senor Frog's throughout Mexico and the Western Caribbean. This summer, Senor Frog's plans to open its first U.S. locations in Myrtle Beach's "Broadway at the Beach," followed by openings in Honolulu and Las Vegas.

Guided by the philosophy and inspiration of its founder, Carlos Anderson, the formation of Grupo Anderson's began in 1963 and has since grown to be Mexico's largest restaurant company. Other Grupo Anderson's concepts include Carlos'n Charlie's, Carlos O'Brian's, El Shrimp Bucket, El Tumbaburros, Mamá Roma, Come'n Eat, Squid Roe and Glazz, an upscale Asian restaurant in Cancun.

http://www.senorfrogs.com/news/may3_05.htm

There was a rather drunk 15 or 16 year old behind us waiting to get back on the ship in Ochos Rios...he was with his grandparents and extended family who seemed to be getting a laugh out of it as well as the rest of the Victory passengers on that pier....haha

In Mexico? If you can see over the bar you are served!:D

Bill

:cool: :cool: You are right on there. Took our Kids (semi adults) 20 & 18 to Cancun one year. They decided to drink through the menu. They surfaced 2 days later wearing sunglasses and talking very softly. First and last time they did that - a lesson learned and we kept our mouths shut (if you know me - very hard to do) To this day they are usually the DD when out.:cool: :cool:

There was a rather drunk 15 or 16 year old behind us waiting to get back on the ship in Ochos Rios...he was with his grandparents and extended family who seemed to be getting a laugh out of it as well as the rest of the Victory passengers on that pier....haha

Oh, that will NOT be happening when I take the kids. I really don't want them to drink at all, but they will be legal and old enough to do it without my permission so I figured I will but NO OUT of CONTROL drunkeness will be going on.

Oh, that will NOT be happening when I take the kids. I really don't want them to drink at all, but they will be legal and old enough to do it without my permission so I figured I will but NO OUT of CONTROL drunkeness will be going on.

You did say they would be buying their own drinks right? If so, they probably won't go past two with the prices that are charged.

A good life lesson - drinkin' ain't cheap :eek:

If they got served on Carnival it is because some one over 21 bought the drinks. Those under 21 can not use their Sign and Sail card to purchase alcohol because it is coded that they are under 21. If adults allow those under 21 to drink they are taking a chance of being put off at the next port if those under age become a problem.

They were served at the captain's party & at the past guest party.

I know that they couldn't get them on their S&S card...I had them turned off before we got on the ship. They didn't get drunk or become a problem.

Before we left the port of Miami two girls 22 & 24 were already talking to them. Everyone thought that they were legal age to drink...the 15 YO is 6'1" at 205 lbs. and the 17 YO is 6' at 190 and both with facial hair. People always think that the 15 YO is at least 19 or 20.

I recommend a day trip to Senor Frogs.. not at night when its wild and crazy... you may blush in front of the kids what goes on there.

Or, as DH and I did, we made our kids (ages 20, 22, and 23) blush when we were in the Tequila Conga Line and ended up on stage. They refused to take any pictures, saying they didn't need any, that the image of us dancing up on stage was forever burned into their memories!!!

As others have said, the drinks are expensive, our bill for 5 was close to $150.00!! However, we all had a really good time.

Does Carnival frown upon those who are 18-21 to drink while in port?? I am travelling with my 18 YO niece & nephew and they asked if I can take them to Senor Frogs and let them buy their first legal drink themselves. I will by NO means allow them to get drunk. But I will allow them to buy their first "legal" drink themselves. I will limit them to 1 maybe 2 drinks depending on what they get. They both just graduated HS last week and this trip is a grad present from me to them. just curious if Carnival has a policy on this. I didn't see anything on their site.

Carnival has nothing to say about it once you are off the ship. They are not a babysitting service. If passengers old or young want to booze it up, they couldn't care less. The only reason they restrict it onboard is because young people do stupid things when intoxicated and Carnival gets sued when those stupid things lead to injury or death.

It has been my experience that if a kid can reach up and put a coupla dollars on the bar, most places in the Caribbean will serve them. So, take them to Senor Frogs.....

Does Carnival frown upon those who are 18-21 to drink while in port?? I am travelling with my 18 YO niece & nephew and they asked if I can take them to Senor Frogs and let them buy their first legal drink themselves. I will by NO means allow them to get drunk. But I will allow them to buy their first "legal" drink themselves. I will limit them to 1 maybe 2 drinks depending on what they get. They both just graduated HS last week and this trip is a grad present from me to them. just curious if Carnival has a policy on this. I didn't see anything on their site.

Interesting title, but fortunately or unfortunately neither of them is a minor either on the cruise or at home. Once them turned 18 for all purposes them became adults. Terrible isn't it. At home even though they are adults they are not of legal drinking age, solely because of the huge number of alcohol related accidents when the legal drinking age in the US was 18 (funny but at that time the age of majority was 21 but the drinking age was 18, just the opposite of now). In most foreign countries they are both adults and of legal drinking age.

I am sure that they a have been raised well and will do nothing to embarrass wither you or their parents. Go and have a great time with them!

:cool: :cool: First of all, congrats on graduating. I am assuming you will be in Cozumel or other Mexican port. Carnival turns a blind eye to alot things regarding drinking off ship. Our son was 20 last time and drinking off ship was not a problem, they even served him on the ship. Waiter asked if he wanted something so he ordered a beer, no problem. Not a big drinker or spender so not a problem in that regard. Our drinking age is 19 so he is legal here. You will notice when people go to shore and get into the $1.00 Coronas and there are alot of people missing at supper. Enjoy - but be prepared for big bucks at Senor Frogs, they are not cheap.:cool: :cool:

I don't know how long ago your last Carnival cruise was.....but for the last several years, their age minimum has been 21. If your 20 year old was served, somebody else bought it for him. He would not be able to purchase alcohol using his own card...his age is imprinted on the electronic strip and the bartender wouldn't serve him,

My 2 boys were sold beer in Carlos and Charlies in Cozumel when they were 14 and 16...also were sold drinks on the private island while playing volleyball and I had a chat with the pursers deck about that, they were served by cruise ship personell.........Dennis

When we were in Nassau - three or four years ago - we took the Carnival Excursion to the Blue Lagoon - when you got off the little boat that took you over to the Lagoon they were giving out rum punch - they had plain punch also - they told my daughter then - she was 15 I think that when you turn 16 you can get the rum drinks there. I also know that we have pictures of our children outside of Senor Frogs where the Frog is holding his finger up and it says "you must be this tall to drink". I know that is not for real - but it may as well be - because anyone that was about 16 was having NO PROBLEM whatsoever the 3 times we have been to Senor Frogs in Nassau getting a drink. I can also tell you that during the Captains Cocktail Party - that some of the 18 year olds that were with us last year when we took some on a High School Graduation trip were handed drinks. These were the free ones - so I"m sure that there wasn't much alcohol in the drinks - but I personally saw them give them drinks. Nobody older took the drink of the tray and handed it to them.

I think the places make alot of money on the drink by yard - because they do make it look like alot.

I believe Carnivals policy only applies to the ship, what you do in port is your business...

I recommend a day trip to Senor Frogs.. not at night when its wild and crazy... you may blush in front of the kids what goes on there.. LOL :p

If its worse at night, it has to be unbelievable. Cause if I had any more fun, I'd have to get arrested. Cardiac or legally.

Dan

Heathen #1 is a tiny little thing. 5'1" and about 100 pounds, she was 17 last summer and was served at both the past guest party and the captain's reception without even asking! She was also served a Margarita in Cozumel and a Pina Colada in Ocho Rios. We were with her for all of these and as she only had a few sips of each drink we were ok with it.

This year she is 18 and I'm sure things wont be too terribly different. They need to learn moderation and doing it with us present is the way to go in my opinion.

Up until last year she had never even sipped my wine!!!

Or, as DH and I did, we made our kids (ages 20, 22, and 23) blush when we were in the Tequila Conga Line and ended up on stage. They refused to take any pictures, saying they didn't need any, that the image of us dancing up on stage was forever burned into their memories!!!

As others have said, the drinks are expensive, our bill for 5 was close to $150.00!! However, we all had a really good time.

*LOL*

Sounds like our kids

DW and I started kind of early so we are pretty young to have kids as old as they are. We are pretty big kids ourselves. 20 yr old DS thinks that is cool :) 17yr old DD is mortified *LOL*.

She recently just shook her head at us and hoped that this would be like that commune in Texas. That the FBI would be here shortly to take her out of this place and return her safely to good and decent parents *LOL* (She was kidding of course:))

In my best Jack Nicholson voice I told her "You couldn't handle good and decent parents" *LOL*

But you are right Carlos & Charlies and Senor Frogs are not cheap, but you do have a blast.

And yes they are WILD at night :)

The year that we ate at Senor Frogs (and it was REALLY expensive) it was lunch time and there were so many people in there - a hurricane was in the gulf coast so alot of cruise ships had docked at Nassau - the wait was forever to get in - but when we did get in - the music was loud they had a (I can't think of the name of the line - but everyone lined up and two of the bartenders stood on chairs on each side and as you walked under their arms they each poured a kind of liquor in your mouth - the people would then just go back and get at the end of the line and do it again) A child about 6 or 7 got in the line - but they wouldn't give him any - I guess he was going to check and see....they had people dress up in costumes and dance on the bar - and all of this was at about 1:30 p.m. - no I can't imagine it at night. Now last year when we went with the group of high school seniors - alot of them were there at night - (well late evening) but we had someone go get them before 9:00 p.m. I wonder why some people don't miss the ship!

In other ports - is Senor Frogs & Carlos & Charlies so close to where the boat is docked?

I recommend a day trip to Senor Frogs.. not at night when its wild and crazy... you may blush in front of the kids what goes on there.. LOL

Hi Toni,

Do you know something that you are not telling us???:eek: Are you saying that a lot of folks have a bit too much tequila and lose their inhibitions? Naaah, can't be!:rolleyes:

I "grew up" in Mexico. From the time I was 8 yrs. old until I was 16 1/2, we lived in Mexico City and then Tampico, on the Gulf coast. There was never a drinking age! (1958 - 1966) I never had a problem buying alcohol in Mexico. If one went to a disco, he/she would be served drinks with no questions asked. It wasn't a big deal. Some guys would have a few too many, but it was the exception rather than the rule.

Times have changed.

Lee

• 2 months later...

Archived