Perks for booking onboard

I am looking at booking our next year's cruise when we sail in December. What perks should we expect? I know that we should get some onboard ship's credit (for the cruise being booked, not one we are on, I assume), and that the loyalty ambassador should be able to show us everything available.

Is there anything else I should know about?

An important thing to consider is the cost of the cruise going up while you wait to book onboard. I found a cruise I wanted to take a month ago for November 2005. I will be cruising on October 24 so I thought I would wait to book onboard. My TA suggested that I book now (a month ago) because the price may go up. I did what she suggested with the intentions to rebook onboard, get the shipboard credit, and then cancel the one I booked earlier. Wouldn’t you know it the price of the cruise has gone up $185 each since then!

Shak

We usually book something while we're onboard, just to get the credit. I think that is the only real perk. RCCL will transfer the booking to your TA, and you can get any price reductions that occur before you make final payment (it does happen, although prices are more likely to go up). If you want to change your cruise, you can do so without losing the booking number (although your TA may charge a fee after one change).

We tend to book waaaaay in advance, when the schedules are pretty new, and then monitor the prices to take advantage of any reductions. Our TA also monitors the prices, but a second pair of eyes never hurts!

A word of advice....if you book another cruise while you are onboard, don't leave the business services desk without a written confirmation. Several of us who booked while onboard the Explorer a couple of weeks ago got home to find that no booking existed. It caused a few hardships.

I wanted to book a cruise on Serenade while we were on Rhapsody, but the price just went up today. So I have the go ahead from my other half to book it tomorrow instead, before it's out of reach.

I've wanted to see the Panama Canal since I was a little girl, and I found a cruise that has lots of days at sea that goes through it, so it seems made for us. And what's a few more dollars. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'll keep you posted.

mconthehighseas: My Dw and I had just booked on the Serenade for the Panama Canal for the April sailing while on board the Voyager last month. We'll let you know how it is. Too bad you couldn't wait to book on board as there is a $200 USD ship board credit available. Also if anyone is planning to see the Loyalty Ambassador to book a cruise on board, make a reservation to diminish your wait time.

Do you have to travel within a year or two years? I know we have booked before for the credit and all went smooth as we left it with the cruise line. Doing it this way we can watch the prices and then transfer it to an agent. We failed to prebook on our last cruise as it was the 2nd that year and what a mistake because we found a great deal on a cruise this January and booked it but do not have the onboard credits. Research ahead of time so you have an idea where you want to cruise and what they have to offer, it speeds up the time spent with the ambassador and allows others the opportunity to book.

i booked my 11n southern carib cruise and got $200 RCCL credit. Then called around to see what credits travel agents were offering and got another $100 credit from TA (and kept my same cabin rate). and just turned in 10000 points thru my rccl credit card to get 2 $50 credits...so far for a grand total of $400 in credits.

when we booked while on previous cruise, we had been thinking about 4 differnt cruises and priced them before we left. once we got on the boat and they dangled the $200 credit we went ahead and booked. and as people have stated, it did go up. It has gone up about $250 each.

i am still looking for more ways to get ship board credits and in larger increments.

good luck all!

Archived