Friends of Bill W.

Can anyone provide insight into the meetings notice I see almost daily onboard. They normally say 'Friends of Bill W - some conference room'. Doing a little research, it looks like Bill W might be Bill Weeks, a high up official with the cruise line.

Can anyone provide insight into the meetings notice I see almost daily onboard. They normally say 'Friends of Bill W - some conference room'. Doing a little research, it looks like Bill W might be Bill Weeks, a high up official with the cruise line.

Here you go....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_W.

-jtslater

Those are AA meetings..or something like that.

Then question: We'll be on SOS to Alaska in August, are there AA meeings onboard? Thanks!:)

Every ship and every line I have been on have I have seen announcements for meetings everyday on board. If they are not listed in the compass then there will be a bulletin board with the schedule on it. If you don't see it ask at the purser's desk.

On my last cruise our Cruise Critic group was given a lounge to have a wine tasting party in (we each brought a bottle of wine from our hometown to share - was on Celebrity where you are allowed to bring on wine). We had a blast and as we were winding down some people we didn't recognize wandered in. We thought they were trying to crash our party, but turns out it was the Friends of Bill W. and they had a meeting scheduled in the same lounge for an hour after our wine tasting party had started; guess the cruise line figured we'd be done by then. We sure got some funny looks from the Bill W. gang as we all had consumed a few glasses and there was about 40 bottles of wine on the bar counter.

On my last cruise our Cruise Critic group was given a lounge to have a wine tasting party in (we each brought a bottle of wine from our hometown to share - was on Celebrity where you are allowed to bring on wine). We had a blast and as we were winding down some people we didn't recognize wandered in. We thought they were trying to crash our party, but turns out it was the Friends of Bill W. and they had a meeting scheduled in the same lounge for an hour after our wine tasting party had started; guess the cruise line figured we'd be done by then. We sure got some funny looks from the Bill W. gang as we all had consumed a few glasses and there was about 40 bottles of wine on the bar counter.

:eek:

Maybe they figured if you had not been done by then you might be in need of attendance of that meeting;) :eek: :p :D

It's Alcoholics Anonymous meetings.

Off topic- I am interested in why you have Bad Wolf in Welsh as your user name?

I'm a big fan of the newest Doctor Who series, and it is also the name I use for Geocaching. It's a lot of fun listening to folks try to pronounce it.

I'm a big fan of the newest Doctor Who series, and it is also the name I use for Geocaching. It's a lot of fun listening to folks try to pronounce it.

You'd get along well with my husband. He's a huge Dr. Who fan and also Geocaches. Our oldest daughter has been geocaching with her friends since school got out. (they all just graduated from high school.) Great activity for them and they get fresh air and exercise.

Have you done geocaching while cruising? 3 years ago they tried finding one on Coco Cay, but had no luck.

Some thought that they had gone to heaven, others thought that they were in hell.

That's what I thought that it was the Dr Who connection. Do you get the new series in the US? You would be interested in a commercial they have on BBC Wales tv at the moment- there are two versions- voiced over by David Tennant- talking about what people in Wales are doing at a certain time and he speaks a lot of Welsh in it. Well done for a Scotsman.

FYI: Friends of Bill W. is not only for AA. He is the founder of the 12 steps and therefore any recovery program working the steps is invited. This include debtors, alcoholics, overeaters, narcotics, etc. Could just be my profression but I tend to exhibit just a little more sensitivity towards those in recovery. I'm thrilled that there is a place for those that need support on vacation can meet. It's a traumatizing disease not only for the sufferer but every single person in their life that loves them.

Archived