passport expiration

We're booked on a Panama Canal cruise in March 2009 and our passports expire in July 2009. Since it is less than 6 months after the start of the cruise, should we renew them before we go or can we just renew them nearer to the expiration date?

Anne

If you read RCCL's website, it is a guideline that your passport should be good for 6 months but not a requirement.

As long as RCCL doesn't change that, you will be fine with your passport, but if you would feel more comfortable renewing it early, by all means do so.

Keep in mind that the new passport requirement date is June 1, 2009 and if it is anything like last year it is going to be wild trying to get passports and renewals, Frankly I would just ditch the last couple of months and beat the rush.

Since they're not REQUIRED for another year, I'd save the renewal fee, and take the ones I already have.

They are not required but they may come in handy if you need to leave your vacation early for an emergency. Since you already have them, I would get them renewed and feel secure knowing that you have them if you need them.

I would go ahead an renew them, or at the very least check with each country that you will be visiting and get their take on it. Just in case something happens and you must fly home from that country. A lot of countries require the 6months, but not all.

The bottom line is you must be concerned or you would not have asked the question. Why worry about something that you do not have to worry about. Renewing is no big deal and may save you money in the long run. My vote is renew now and stop worrying. Good Sailing, Murf

We're booked on a Panama Canal cruise in March 2009 and our passports expire in July 2009. Since it is less than 6 months after the start of the cruise, should we renew them before we go or can we just renew them nearer to the expiration date?

Anne

Someone on my upcoming cruise just posted this:

. . . . imagine having to get a passport in 6 days! That's what I'm having to do since my passport expires within six months of returning. Little did I know that the UK and Spain would not let me enter with this issue. So, I had to overnight my passport and documentation to get a passport before we leave, otherwise my wife will be going with out me. $500 for this fiasco when it would've been $75 just a couple of months ago.

The bottom line is you must be concerned or you would not have asked the question. Why worry about something that you do not have to worry about. Renewing is no big deal and may save you money in the long run. My vote is renew now and stop worrying. Good Sailing, Murf
Amen, brother.

Passport renewal is currently $75 and good for 10 years. Renewing a year early means losing 10% of the value of the passport or $7.50. Is the peace of mind worth 15 bucks? (Answer: Yes)

Plus, if the price of renewals goes up, you may actually save money on a per anum basis.

(Yeah, given enough time, I can justify about anything:D )

Charlie

Someone on my upcoming cruise just posted this:

. . . . imagine having to get a passport in 6 days! That's what I'm having to do since my passport expires within six months of returning. Little did I know that the UK and Spain would not let me enter with this issue. So, I had to overnight my passport and documentation to get a passport before we leave, otherwise my wife will be going with out me. $500 for this fiasco when it would've been $75 just a couple of months ago.

While this may be true, the last time I checked, very few Panama Canal cruises ended up in either the UK or Spain! ;)

And the very simple answer to "why would you wait to renew?" is simply "because it's not yet expired!" Do you throw away your milk with the last 2 glass fulls still in the jug? Sure, $7.50 worth of passport life is not going to break anyone, but in fact, it's silly to "have to" renew a 10 year passport at 9.5 years in the first place. I have often said that I wish the State Department would make passport life last 10.5 years to give citizens a true "10 year passport" when that is what we are supposed to be paying for!

Someone has a scam going here, and it's not me!

Theron

Last year we renewed our passports, DH 12 months early mine 15 months early.

Did we HAVE to, NO, did we yes, because.......

It was the peak of the rush, that was for nothing, it took 15 1/2 weeks, normal delivery, and you have to send your current one in, so we had NO passport for that time.

By the time we got them we still had 3 months BEFORE our cruise that DID NOT require them AT THAT TIME.

NO worries, and we will need them this fall for a Med. cruise.

I really shake my head when people ask if they should get them BEFORE they need them. For us "losing" the $15 for the unused year was WELL worth the worry on a $10,000 cruise. Heck, even last years cruise for $2000 was worth it and I can now say the $15 divided by 2 cruises is $7.50. Actually $3.75 per person.

Who knows, we may hit the lottery and need a passport TODAY, and we HAVE THEM

In a perfect world, your passport would do fine. However, if anything goes awry in a foreign destination and you must either stay in that country, are arrested in that country, have an accident, miss the ship....you would have big problems. If your ship visits some places, like Columbia for instance, double your trouble...

Most countries require a U.S. Citizen to carry a passport that is valid for at least 6 months beyond the end of the trip. (By the way, Panama is one of those countries).

Why risk it. You would need to renew within a few months anyway. Why not do it now, before there is a price increase and while the turn-around time is relatively short.

Passports are now a requirement for Canadians to fly from a Cdn airport to a US destination. The new rule came into effect in (I think) Jan 2008. You wouldn't believe the backlog at the passport offices all over the country! :eek: :eek: It was a horrid mess with issuance taking months and months in some cases. Take a heads-up from me and don't wait until you're near expiration. Do it now.

2P.P1

Archived