Feeding fish dog food???

twinkle toes

I have read on other posts that people bring dog food with them to feed fish when on islands. What fish do you feed in the water and what kind of dog food is it?

The only animals that should eat dog food are dogs! For fish feeding...maybe consider some pieces of bread.

We actually do take a few "Milkbones" in a ziplock bag to feed the fish when we snorkle. We have been given those at many places in both the Carribbean and Mexico. They are great because they do not dissolve quickly and will last in the water for a long time.

I don't think feeding fish dog food would be very good for the fish. It's kinda like feeding fish food to your dog:eek: . It's just common sense:D

What is the difference? They both eat their own poop.

I can't see where feeding the fish would contaminate the ecosystem. If you want to protect the reef, wear bio-degradeable sunscreen and don't touch the coral or kick it with your fins. Leave the shells and the starfish and sand dollars where the are. Don't throw your gum wrappers, cigarette butts, and water bottles on the ground or in the water and pick trash up when you get a chance. I was appalled at the trash floating around the docks in Belize and Costa Maya. It made me ashamed to be a human.

There is a big difference between a muddy pond and fish that live in salt water around corals where their ecosystem is very sensitive.

Last time I heard, catfish will eat just about anything.

PURINA makes fish food….. for production fish farming (fresh and salt water) and if you read the ingredients list, it reads a LOT like good dog food, in fact, dogs as well as cats love the stuff.

I am not saying chumming the water is a good idea, but its not the environmental catastrophe some here try to make it out to be.

If you worried about the coral, sun tan lotion is doing far more harm then the dog food.

• 1 year later...

Foods with these type of ingredients are often recommended for dogs with food allergies or sensitivities, so they would be a good choice for a dog with a sensitive tummy.

I think these food are a good meal for fish because it contains salmon, herring, whitefish, trout, walleye, cod which are easily absorb by fish..

for more info you can visit :-http://www.wagsocial.com/:rolleyes::);):D

Gee, you folks have been very helpful, NOT.

An honest question, you have to be unhelpful.

I don't know what kind of help you want. If you are bringing dog food to feed the fish, where is help needed? If facct, you are looking for approval and you are not getting it. Collectively, the resonders think it is a bad idea and in some places it is illegal.

Gee, you folks have been very helpful, NOT.

An honest question, you have to be unhelpful.

I don't know what kind of help you want. If you are bringing dog food to feed the fish, where is help needed? If fact, you are looking for approval and you are not getting it. Collectively, the responders think it is a bad idea and in some places it is illegal.

Why??

I have read on other posts that people bring dog food with them to feed fish when on islands. What fish do you feed in the water and what kind of dog food is it?

:) :) Actually you upset the whole ecosystem when you do this sort of thing. People do it' date=' but then complain that the fish population is going down, the coral is dying etc. Keep the oceans clean for everyone and the fish will find their own food.

B.[/quote']

Right On.

Ok, I'm a little slow today. I'm reading this and thinking "dog bones"? How in the world can those little fish eat dog bones? Why would anyone think they could eat a bone! Of course I was thinking of a big dog with a big white bone sticking out of its mouth and/or nawing away. It never even crossed my mind that you were talking about dog biscuits. :p Several times we've been snorkeling and the guides gave us the cheeze wiz you can get in a spray can to feed the fish.

What do you think fish eat? Anything that gets dumped in the water...That's what they do. Dogfood will not hurt anything in the water. People have taken this environmentalism crap to a whole new level......

I am going to take a can of "Motor Oil" and open it underwater next time I go snorkeling. Just to piss off the crazies on this thread....

*snortlaff*

What do you think fish eat? Anything that gets dumped in the water...That's what they do. Dogfood will not hurt anything in the water. People have taken this environmentalism crap to a whole new level......

I am going to take a can of "Motor Oil" and open it underwater next time I go snorkeling. Just to piss off the crazies on this thread....

You attract the fish to you, so you can look at them. They, in turn, attract larger fish which like to eat the pretty little fish YOU attracted...next thing you know, there's a large predator fish (think shark!) coming in to feed....

Don't feed the fish!

The only animals that should eat dog food are dogs! For fish feeding...maybe consider some pieces of bread.

You cannot feed fish bread. The yeast is terrible for their systems, and the bread expands in their system and it can cause them to bloat something terrible.

You cannot feed fish bread. The yeast is terrible for their systems, and the bread expands in their system and it can cause them to bloat something terrible.

....then perhaps we should sprinkle a little Rolaids on the bread before feeding them.................

Archived