Anyone cruised Croatia?

SusanNJ

Just booked the Dalmation Gems for May 2009. Has anyone done this itinerary? I have been on the Legend twice, but never the Spirit. Where in Venice does the ship depart? Would the Hilton Molina Stuckey be close or are we better off near St Mark's? I wish I was going now!!!!

On my two times in and out of Venice on the Spirit we were docked right across the canal from the Hilton. In fact, last time I was there it had not opened yet but the big sign was there.

Its a very convenient area to dock in and you can walk (a long walk but I love to walk) to St. Marks and just wander the streets.

I have been to Dubrovnik, Split and Hvar and enjoyed all of them. Its a very scenic itinerary and I love to just walk around the walled city in Dubrovnik.

Bon voyage

Susan,

We went last year on the 14 day Athens to Rome. Croatia and Montenegro were wonderful. I guess it was the Hilton we were talked next to in Venice as it appeared to be a hotel under construction. It sounds as if it is close to completion. If that is the place you can either do the great walk as mentioned before or walk up a few hundred yards to take the water taxi to St. Marks.

I must admit it was a port intensive August (and hot too) cruise compared to our many sea days last November from Alexandria to Dubai. The ports however were great, the Seabourn experience in Dubravonik was nice.

You will truly love this trip and the Spirit too. Some of the staff from our Copenhagen-London cruise on the Pride were on the ship and it was truly like coming home to family.

Enjoy

Susan,

We went last year on the 14 day Athens to Rome. Croatia and Montenegro were wonderful. I guess it was the Hilton we were talked next to in Venice as it appeared to be a hotel under construction. It sounds as if it is close to completion. If that is the place you can either do the great walk as mentioned before or walk up a few hundred yards to take the water taxi to St. Marks.

I must admit it was a port intensive August (and hot too) cruise compared to our many sea days last November from Alexandria to Dubai. The ports however were great, the Seabourn experience in Dubravonik was nice.

You will truly love this trip and the Spirit too. Some of the staff from our Copenhagen-London cruise on the Pride were on the ship and it was truly like coming home to family.

Enjoy

Patricia and I were in Venice for a weekend last month. We saw the Hilton from our hotel. If I remember right, there was a shuttle boat from the hotel to the main part of Venice.

You can take a water bus from the airport to the Piazza although a water taxi is much nicer and more convenient with luggage. They will take you direct to the hotel, I'm sure. You can book water taxis in advance and this can be on a shared basis to reduce the cost.

EDIT: Just checked the hotel website at Hilton Molino Stucky. "You can reach the hotel by vaporetto water bus or water taxi from your land arrival point or maritime station. In addition there is a regular complimentary hotel shuttle boat from Hotel Molino Stucky Venice and Piazza San Marco." I think they probably mean "between" the hotel and Piazza San Marco.

Susan - my wife and I are on the May 23rd 14-day Dalmatian Gems + Italian Idyll cruise, joined by our friends Hal and Rebecca. I will be watching these threads to see what good info comes along. Like you, we're itching to go!

Hi Susan , hi Missabby ,

It seems we won't be alone next year ! :-)

We are also booked on the Seabourn Spirit ( Venice-Venice 23-30 may 2009 ) and we're really looking forward to be again on this ship.

As a matter of fact we just did the Rome-Athens cruise on the Spirit ( 14-21 june 2008 ) and we loved the ship, the crew and the itinery

and yes we felt a little sad having to leave the Spirit , but we're also very glad we'll be seeing the crew again next year !

I like to plan ahead and do my homework, but now it's too early as it's another 11 months :-)

the only thing we've already booked is our flight ; we'll be arriving 20 may in Venice, so we can enjoy Venice for 3 nights - we'll probably choose a hotel in the center

and after the cruise we're planning to stay another 3 nights, but perhaps on the Lido ... we'll see

kind regards,

ralf & johan

Belgium

Ralf, I am glad that we will have company on the cruise. Tried to book cabin 120, which is our favorite because there is less motion. We were told that the entire deck was booked. So there will be others who will join us. I will book air fare next month, but I did manage to get two nights at the Molino Stuckey Hilton. It looked exceptional and I believe it is located close to the pier where Seabourn docks. The Hilton provides a shuttle to St Marks. It will be nice to come back after a day of sightseeing to the peaceful splendor of the hotel.

Hi Susan,

We booked this cruise some months ago when the new cruises 2009-2010 came out and we were given cabin number 106.

I also think that the Hilton will be an oasis of tranquility after a long day in Venice. So altough we've never been there, I think you can't go wrong with this hotel.

Last time we were in Danieli, we really loved this hotel. But now I'm thinking of Europa&Regina pre-cruise and hotel des Bains ( think of Death in Venice of Visconti ) post-cruise. We like old hotels :-)

kind regards,

ralf & johan

• 2 weeks later...
Ralf, I am glad that we will have company on the cruise. Tried to book cabin 120, which is our favorite because there is less motion. We were told that the entire deck was booked. So there will be others who will join us. I will book air fare next month, but I did manage to get two nights at the Molino Stuckey Hilton. It looked exceptional and I believe it is located close to the pier where Seabourn docks. The Hilton provides a shuttle to St Marks. It will be nice to come back after a day of sightseeing to the peaceful splendor of the hotel.

JUst got back from the June 28 Venice to Rome on the Spirit. I stayed one night pre at the Hilton Stucky. I am a Gold HH so I was upgraded to the exec. lounge which was great....

A word of warning: The website is awful as it does not fully explain the way to the hotel and their water taxi schedule. When you get off the vaporetto at Palanca you have to walk, at least 7-10 minutes and over Bridges with steps. The water shuttle to ST. Marks and to a spot across the lagoon Zattere, goes twice an hour BUT they have lunch and dinner breaks so that if you miss the shuttle the next one is not for over an hour. The island it is on makes for great views but it is removed from the action The rooftop pool and the lounge were great. The a/c in the room was average. Could never get it really cold and the temps felt over 90 and humid outside.

I had the MOST expensive and shortest water taxi ride to the Spirit. It was literally 2 minutes and cost me 30 euros.....$47.00. After schlepping my suitcase the day before I was not going to try that again so I took the water taxi. It brought me right across to San Basillio where the luggage men took my suitcase from the water taxi.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread but thought it was important to let people know about the hotel. Last time (2 years ago) I was in VCE I stayed in Maestre (across the causeway) and will probably stay there again in the future as it is easy to get in and out of the city.

Bon voyage

PS An inexpensive way to the hotel is bus from VCE to P. Roma which is 3. euros and then a water taxi for 6.50 euros but again you will have to walk a bit and over bridges. I do not recommend it when having big luggage

We haven't cruised with Seabourn, but did Croatia, Venice, and Kotor with Oceania last year. I suspect Seabourn will be docked at San Basilio with the smaller cruiselines, such as Oceania.

I HIGHLY recommend a water taxi if you have more than one bag. Expensive, but maybe you can put out in the roll call if someone's willing to share. The vaporretos are extremely crowded, and during our stay in Venice we witnessed many people struggling with their bags onto/off vaporettos. Also, if you're distracted with a few bags, you can be a prime target for thieves/pickpockets that frequent vaporettos.We stayed at a charming B and B in the Cannaregio area and the taxi cost us 75 Euros from San Basilio. It's also a lovely alternative if you forego the gondola ride ;o)

Montenegro is still a little off-the-beaten path and is still charming and fairly untouristy. If you're a hiker, there is a beautiful hike in Kotor up to the ancient Fortress of St. Ivan with breathtaking views of the Bay of Kotor. If you love ethnic jewellry, Croatia is the place to get it, prices are fairly reasonable.

Have a great time, your cruise sounds wonderful!

JUst got back from the June 28 Venice to Rome on the Spirit. I stayed one night pre at the Hilton Stucky. I am a Gold HH so I was upgraded to the exec. lounge which was great....

A word of warning: The website is awful as it does not fully explain the way to the hotel and their water taxi schedule. When you get off the vaporetto at Palanca you have to walk, at least 7-10 minutes and over Bridges with steps. The water shuttle to ST. Marks and to a spot across the lagoon Zattere, goes twice an hour BUT they have lunch and dinner breaks so that if you miss the shuttle the next one is not for over an hour. The island it is on makes for great views but it is removed from the action The rooftop pool and the lounge were great. The a/c in the room was average. Could never get it really cold and the temps felt over 90 and humid outside.

I had the MOST expensive and shortest water taxi ride to the Spirit. It was literally 2 minutes and cost me 30 euros.....$47.00. After schlepping my suitcase the day before I was not going to try that again so I took the water taxi. It brought me right across to San Basillio where the luggage men took my suitcase from the water taxi.

Sorry to have hijacked the thread but thought it was important to let people know about the hotel. Last time (2 years ago) I was in VCE I stayed in Maestre (across the causeway) and will probably stay there again in the future as it is easy to get in and out of the city.

Bon voyage

PS An inexpensive way to the hotel is bus from VCE to P. Roma which is 3. euros and then a water taxi for 6.50 euros but again you will have to walk a bit and over bridges. I do not recommend it when having big luggage

I do`nt think you are hijacking the thread. Hotel was mentioned in how handy it was. You are showing some of it`s problems. Quite fair in a balanced discussion. Venice, however beautiful is a difficult city to move around and it can often cost a lot to take the simplest but the most expedient options in travelling. ;)

Susan and ralf - we'll see you on the Spirit!

We're trying to determine the best flights from the Washington, DC area to Venice and return from Rome. The options are pretty pathetic - it's like picking the least painful poison. Any words of wisdom?

Susan and ralf - we'll see you on the Spirit!

We're trying to determine the best flights from the Washington, DC area to Venice and return from Rome. The options are pretty pathetic - it's like picking the least painful poison. Any words of wisdom?

I assume you can fly direct Washington to Rome so buy a return on that and fly from Rome to Venice to pick up ship :)

I assume you can fly direct Washington to Rome so buy a return on that and fly from Rome to Venice to pick up ship :)

We have found one direct flight, on United (to Rome) so far. Our traveling companions will probably use your approach as they have mega FF miles. It is significantly more expensive than the other non-direct alternatives. There is a possibility of a direct flight from Philly to Venice on US Air, but it too is more expensive and US Air gets really panned on the internet on that flight. Leaving out of Philly isn't great either - bad ratings for lost luggage and late flights (and having to drive and park up there). Looking at all the plusses and minuses, we may end up taking BA thru Heathrow and Gatwick. :( At least BA isn't charging for luggage (yet).

"We're trying to determine the best flights from the Washington, DC area to Venice and return from Rome. The options are pretty pathetic - it's like picking the least painful poison. Any words of wisdom?"

May I suggest trying Iberia through Madrid. Priced out very well for us from Chicago and you don't have to change airports.

Regards,

Rick

We have found one direct flight, on United (to Rome) so far. Our traveling companions will probably use your approach as they have mega FF miles. It is significantly more expensive than the other non-direct alternatives. There is a possibility of a direct flight from Philly to Venice on US Air, but it too is more expensive and US Air gets really panned on the internet on that flight. Leaving out of Philly isn't great either - bad ratings for lost luggage and late flights (and having to drive and park up there). Looking at all the plusses and minuses, we may end up taking BA thru Heathrow and Gatwick. :( At least BA isn't charging for luggage (yet).

Delta has non stops to Venice and back from Rome from JFK. That I know does not help you much from IAD/BWI unless you want to fly from there to JFK, I would look at UA with a LH codeshare. You can do IAD to either FRA or Munich and then to VCE and a return on UA from FCO-IAD. You could book this all on UAL.com and the flts on LH will have UA flt numbers. Its very strange but sometimes the flts on UA are cheaper than the pricing on Lufthansa even though it is the same aircraft, just different flt. numbers.

Bon voyage

If your cheapest alternative is round trip to Rome, consider taking the train from Rome to Venice. There are almost constant shuttle trains from the Rome airport to the main train station and from there just take the train to Venice (reserve that trip ahead of time). If you have time, stay a couple of days in Rome and then take the train to Venice.

"We're trying to determine the best flights from the Washington, DC area to Venice and return from Rome. The options are pretty pathetic - it's like picking the least painful poison. Any words of wisdom?"

May I suggest trying Iberia through Madrid. Priced out very well for us from Chicago and you don't have to change airports.

Regards,

Rick

After a check - maybe something like this

Average Fare per Person - 3320.00 USD Business/ 1522.00 USD Economy (this itinerary priced out least expensive for business, other itineraries as low as $1176 in economy)

IBERIA 6188 IAD

Washington May 21, 2009

09:35 PM MAD

Madrid May 22, 2009

09:55 AM 340Business

N/A 11 hr 25 min

IBERIA 3644 MAD

Madrid May 22, 2009

12:45 PM VCE

Venice May 22, 2009

03:00 PM 320Business

N/A Alert: Overnight flight or connection. Terminal change.

IBERIA 3677 FCO

Rome Jun 01, 2009

10:15 AM MAD

Madrid Jun 01, 2009

12:35 PM 320Business

N/A 15 hr 0 min

IBERIA 6187 MAD

Madrid Jun 01, 2009

04:30 PM IAD

Washington Jun 01, 2009

07:15 PM 340Business

N/A

Rick - how is Iberia as an airline? Lost luggage? Late departures? Overall CS? Seat comfort?

How was your experience?

Thanks,

-- Jeff

Jeff,

I have not yet flown Iberia. Talk to me after New Years. We will be doing IB twice in 5 months. New Years in Spain, then for this cruise.

I have only researched the business class product. The seat gets great reviews by almost all. The food also generally gets good reviews. The self serve snack & beverage bar certainly looks nice in the pictures on Iberia's web site. The arrivals lounge in Madrid is also supposed to be nice with showers available. All other aspects seem about average. People say everything from great to horrible. But, as it usually seems, the people who say horrible are mostly basing it on one bad experience. I am expecting a typical or better business class experience.

Do you know about flightstats? I believe you have to register before you can access historical flight info. The on time ratings for our flights are about average for these days. About 70% into and out of ORD, somewhat better within Europe.

Regards,

Rick

I flew Iberia'a business plus to Athens from Miami via Madrid and back again from Nice to Miami via Madrid. Excellent service - slept like a baby in the flat bed seats - great entertainment system - wonderful (non crowded) lounges. No negatives I can think of......

Archived