Tips for surviving a flight with a 16 month old

calikak

Our son will be 16 1/2 months old when we fly to San Francisco for our cruise this fall. It'll be our first plane ride with him and it's about a 2 hour flight for us. We know to bring something to drink to help with his ears at take-off and landing, but I'm wondering what to bring along to entertain him, since he's too young for a Game boy. He doesn't really show any interest in videos or TV yet, but I suppose that could change over the next 4 months?

Don't worry! Have your child's favorite lovey/stuffed animal/blankee, lots of snacks, sippy cup. Get some books they have never seen, maybe a puppet or two if they like those things.

My son was crazy about the Fisher Price Little people starting about that time and I took several small people, with a few animals, vehicles, etc. We played on the tray table, read books, etc.

My sister swears by a little Benedryl for her kids when flying, but I don't like to medicate for behavior.

2 hours!?!? You are kidding! You are getting off lucky!

travel magna doodle

anything appropriate from the dollar store

books

2 hours?!?!! you will be fine....shoot...half the time you can show him what is outside the window!

2 hours!?!? You are kidding! You are getting off lucky!

Yeah, that's why we picked this cruise! :D But the older Jim gets, the more wiggly he is, so I'm still a little concerned...

Yeah, that's why we picked this cruise! :D But the older Jim gets, the more wiggly he is, so I'm still a little concerned...

if you can/want to afford it, get him his own seat.

Also, the lady at American Airlines told me to always try to book seats right next to a handicap seat. They dont let people book handicap seats online. In order to book them you have to call in - so they are more likely to remain empty!

if you can/want to afford it, get him his own seat.

Also, the lady at American Airlines told me to always try to book seats right next to a handicap seat. They dont let people book handicap seats online. In order to book them you have to call in - so they are more likely to remain empty!

We did book him his own seat--I just couldn't imagine trying to get him to sit still on my lap for 2 hours including take-off and landing.

You can do Benedryl - it's not a cold medicine and is fine for kids - get the dose from your doctor since the child is under 2. I don't think you will need it though (of course, it's not my child, so I could be wrong).

Two hours is pretty manageable. Here are my tips based upon experience. Bring along a few favorite things (books, blanket, paci, etc) and a few new things. For the new things: buy toys that are basically quiet; to the extent possible buy one piece (or large piece) toys (or else be prepared for the game of: "I'm going to throw this small piece, demand it back, and laugh while you contort yourself in all kinds of crazy ways to reach under the seat in front of me"). Also - never pull out a toy until the child has exhausted ways to entertain himself (or you to entertain him) without toys. That will limit the amount of time the toys must occupy the child. Look out the window for as long as possible. Play itsy-bitsy spider for as long as you can (quietly), etc. etc. Keep going back to the window and find new things to look at. You don't want all your supplies tossed to the side a half an hour into the flight and a bored child wanting more.

I also bring my carseat on flights that are long regardless as to whether we will need them at our destination. First, it's safer for turbulence, etc, but second, as a practical matter, carseats are designed for children (size-wise) and they are comfortable and familiar to the child. My children fall asleep easier and sleep more soundly in their carseats than they do in a regular airline seat.

I wouldn't do Bendryl for a 2 hour flight - it would probably knock him out for much longer than that, but if you're going to, remember to test it out once before you travel - Benedryl sometimes has the opposite effect on children and amps them up.

Remember to plan for longer than two hours just in case, since delays before take-off or waiting for a gate to open on landing are common these days. You want to have your own drinks and snacks since you don't know when the attendants will be able to serve. (I bring an empty sippy cup through security and then fill it with water at a faucet inside the terminal). I bring little baggies of lots of different kinds of treats, so I can pull one out any time someone gets antsy.

Best,

Mia

I have personally never felt comfortable giving ds a drug just to get him to sleep. According to this article here, the mfgr doesn't even recommend it.

many experts caution against using drugs to put your baby to sleep. Though generally safe, Benadryl can cause side effects ranging from next-day grogginess to dry mouth and hyperactivity in children, even when used as directed. At very high doses, Benadryl may cause serious harm. Pfizer, Benadryl's manufacturer, does not promote the drug as a sleep aid for babies.

Also, for a 2-hr flight, it's hardly worth it. 2 hours will probably fly (no pun intended) right by. :) We never flew with ds as a "babe in arms" - he always had his own seat & car seat along. He always just naturally fell asleep and napped on most flights. I also found that most of the stuff I brought along to entertain him would stay in the bag so my suggestion is don't sweat it too much and try not to overpack because you'll have enough stuff to lug through the airport anyway. One time though - I had brought some new little Sesame Street figures I bought the Dollar store. DS was having a melt down as we were at the end of a long day of flying and just about an hour away from our destination. I brought out the toy he had never seen before and it helped to calm him down so that was one time I was glad I had brought along a new little toy of something that was familiar to him but not a toy he had ever played with before... It was a lifesaver.

Our 2 year old has flown 6 times since he was born...last trip 2 weeks ago..I do not use benedryl because it makes him hyper...lots of smarties, pez, dollar store toys, color wonder markers, he has his own ipod with nursery rhymes, books, stickers, old camera...just stuff he is not use to at home...he has actually slept on a few of the flights..I alway use a natural supplement called Calm Forte for kids...seem to help with the "fits" toddlers have...good luck...

Some great tips here!

I'm the ex-Flight Attendant who wrote that blog above on the subject. It's been on a few websites but use that link because I update it from time to time.

Benedryl landed me in the emergency room at age 7. My doctor father and nurse mother couldn't find a pulse. My mom jokes to this day "Boy does that draw attention in an emergency room, a child draped over your arms. No waiting!". Not everyone can take antihistimines, and I have to be very careful to this day (as does my sister who has the same problem).

Yes, Benedryl IS for colds. It's a decogestant. Be aware that it dehydrates (thus unstuffing you when you're sick) and airplane air is very dry to begin with.

Twice as a F/A, I saw kids go hyper on it. It wasn't a fun flight for the kid, parents or anyone in that area of the cabin. Try it at home first folks!

But seriously, I wouldn't even consider it unless the flight is over 6 hours.

Good work getting him a seat. 16 months is a big "lap baby". Bring your seat. More details on that and how to get it through the airport in the blog. Stow it in your shower in your cabin once on the ship.

I really get annoyed with this take-off and landing thing. No, they don't need to suck. If he's awake and he'll drink something, go ahead but please leave him in peace if he falls asleep! They often do on take-off (which is less critical for the ears) and parents absolutely panic, having read this "tip" everywhere. It's also not landing but the top of descent. Landing is too late. Just have him awake. That's from the AAP. The link is in the article.

I recommend taking your child to the ped before flying. Ear infections are nasty and painful and don't always have symptoms. No amount of sucking will help if his ears are blocked. We caught one once and went on to have a happy flight.

Hope yours' goes well!

Thanks for the tips, everyone!

For a 2-hour flight I doubt I'd even consider Benadryl. I am more the type to avoid medications unless absolutely necessary.

Sharon, thanks for the tip about letting him sleep if he falls asleep. I do have a question: he seems to fall asleep more easily if I'm hugging him than if he's in a seat--is it an issue for me to hold him during take-off and landing if we bought a seat for him? By that I mean, is it like an FAA rule or something that if you've bought a seat, you have to be belted into it? Or because he's under 2 it's OK to hold him instead of strapping him? I'm also picturing him being a little scared of the new sounds and sights and smells, and grabbing at me for a pick-me-up as we're taking off. He's usually OK once Mom or Dad reassures him, but sometimes he really needs a hug to calm him down.

You may want to look into "Ear Planes". They are designed for kids & adults & they really help with presure during take-off & landing. I've been using them for my DD for years. I know that they work because on one of our trips she fought me about wearing them, as soon as we took off she was crying so hard. I gave her her ear planes & she left them in for the rest of the flight. We swear by them!!!

Two other items we only give DS for flights; soda and headphones. He does not get either at home. At your son's age we asked the attendant for an entire can of apple juice and put it in an empty sippy cup we had brought. Also get the headphones and put the armrest music to a kid friendly channel; new age is great for soothing. Few weeks back was able to bring through security yogurt tubes (they are less than 3 ounces); just pre-froze them and put them in the zip-lock bag with the rest of the liquids you are declaring to security. We also do the new toy or activity book for a flight.

Just last night was on the deck with DS and when a plane went overhead he said they must be serving soda. So flying has become a treat he looks forward to doing.

My son is 17 months and has just over 18,000 miles under his belt and has done quite well because we know his limitations, as do you since you're the parent. Therefore, use what you know about your child to your advantage. And ignore the Benadryl thing; I've had child development experts recommend it at the college where I'm a professor, but why would anyone give a drug to a child that isn't needed for some medical condition? This benefits simply don't outweight the risks. However, I do recommend having some on hand for allergic reactions.

What we've found to be the biggest problem is his energy. Now that he's mobile, he wants to go. Use that to your advantage and let him tire himself out before the flight. We arrive about two hours early and let him run/walk around the airport. He's well supervised so he's not disturbing anybody and it tires him out without drugs. Carrying a small ball also helps as you can roll it for him to chase/fetch. We also use the two hour layover rule during connections for this same purpose. In addition, there's less stress if there's a delay.

Toys do work, but my son gets bored with them quickly. A good book or two also works. You might also try masking tape. Tear off little pieces and stick it to his clothes and the seat in front of you. Believe it or not, he'll spend a lot of time picking at the pieces of tape. You might also want to consider waiting until the flight to feed him. Letting him eat will occupy his time onboard and the flight will go much smoother.

We're traveling next week with my son and my 3 and 6 year old nieces, so I'll let you know how that goes.

Hope this helps some. Remember, though, you know your son best! These are just pointers that have worked for me.

Bring the carseat. It's a pain to lug it through the airport, but when they're on the plane, it's so worth it. My kids were already used to having to sit in it in the car, so they never fought it on the plane. We saw similar-aged children whose parents tried to get them to use the airplane seatbelt, and it was a no-go (one of these children was later injured by running into an attendant's cart in the aisle ... the attendant tried to avoid it).

I usually brought a few new books with us. I also brought plenty of snacks ... especially useful for unforeseen delays. One time we were stuck on the ground because of weather for an hour ... then a 4 hour flight. The kids were 11 mo and 24 mo. If I hadn't been able to feed them while we were waiting, they would have both completely come undone by the time we got in the air. As it was, they waited and fell apart while we were landing, but for kids that little with that long of a day, I was happy they were good as long as they were.

I agree with the carseat if he's not riding on your lap. If he does have his own seat and you plan on using a car seat, make sure that it has a stamp indicating that it is approved for airline use. If the flight attendant can find that mark, he/she wont let you use it. Interestingly enough, there's no requirement that children be in a carseat on a plan unlike automobiles.

Our 2 year old has flown 6 times since he was born...last trip 2 weeks ago..I do not use benedryl because it makes him hyper...I alway use a natural supplement called Calm Forte for kids...seem to help with the "fits" toddlers have...good luck...

Calm Forte is not recommended for use in anyone under 6 without the approval from a physician. Did your Ped. recommend it?

Sorry I'm chiming in here late...

Yes, if there's a car seat, he needs to be in it for take-off and landing. These are the most important times for him to be safe. Leave him in the seat and just hold his hand and put your arm around him. Most kids actually like this part, when the plane goes faster and takes off. Once you're in the air, you can remove him from the seat but don't let him walk the aisles until the seat belt sign goes off. Always stay with him.

Here's the FAA approval sticker information that a pp mentioned;

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/

Most car seats sold in the U.S. are FAA approved, as long as they have an internal harness.

Archived