Packing questions for recent Alaska cruisers (not dress code!)

bev'sid

We just returned from our first PG 7 night Societies experience (wonderful!!), but now I need to focus on a last minute booking for the Mariner in Alaska this summer! (I know, it's a tough dilemma, lol!)

But, since I now have before me what I just UNpacked from the FP trip, I have to ask if ANY of it will be appropriate for Alaska packing???

For recent cruisers, did you pack a swimsuit & cover-up? Were you able to use the pool deck area much? I know one needs layers of clothing to be prepared for Alaska, but did you need any shorts & short sleeved items?

I guess I'm mostly interested in the outdoor attire, since I'm sure the ship is temperature controlled, lol!

I appreciate ANY info!

bev

We sailed to Alaska last month (mid-May) and packed for cool weather. Much to our surprise, the daytime temperatures ranged from 77 to 85 degrees. Those lucky enough to have packed swimming suits were lying around the pool (while some of us went into town to buy t-shirts to wear in the warm weather).

While the temperatures were above "normal" in May -- just about anything can happen weatherwise during the summer. Dressing in layers is definitely the best way to go. If you are visiting/viewing glaciers, it will be cool (but, if the sun strong, it is not "cold")

So, in my opinion, repack some t-shirts and/or short sleeve shirts/blouses. You can probably do some swimming on board. Also have a sweater and jacket. If you'll be hiking, you'll need proper shoes. . . also, close toe shoes if it rains.

As a side note, the many tourist stores carry really nice rain/wind jackets for about $20. We found prices in these shops to be extremely reasonable. The one thing we could not find were flip-flops.

Have a wonderful trip!:)

Wow - sounds like it was cooking when you were there! It looks like it's a bit cooler there now, but very good to know that it can really fluctuate to that extent.

Thanks much, and also for the heads up about the jackets & the flip flops!!!!

Just came back from the Regent 6/11-6/18. The weather was cool - highs in the mid-50's all week. Sun only came out a few times, but luckily never rained.

We were one of the only few who used the jacuzzi's several times. They were great (3 of them) and no one else was ever in them. I don't know why, as they were really hot and felt great.

No one used the pool deck otherwise. One day, they set up for lunch outside, as the morning looked promising. But by mid-day it was too cold to sit outside and they removed the table settings.

We were on the 5/27 to 6/4 cruise. It never got warm enough for swimming. I suppose we could have used the hot tubs, since it was usually about 65 degrees out; but the only really bad weather we had was on our sea days, so that was out. I would bring one swim suit each just in case.

We cruised Alaska in June (Navigator) a few years back, and swim wear was certainly not needed, as it was too cool. We did catch a bit of rain, so rain wear would be appropriate. We actually dressed in jeans and layered top clothing during the days, and complied with the CCC dress code at night. During the day, hiking/walking shoes are very useful. I can recall asking the tour desk where the snorkeling excursion was. I was playing a joke by pretending to be "the rube" who had never cruised outside of the Caribbean! The reply was "we'll set one up for you, if we all can watch". I had to say "no thanks".

We just returned home yesterday... The temperatures were in the 50's with the sun coming out in the afternoons. We did go into the hot tubs (with iceburgs in sight), so used our swimming suits... some kids were swimming in the pool, but not for long. We never wore short sleeves. Our basic attire was cords, long sleeved shirts and sweaters. Sometimes that was enough, sometimes we added a fleece jacket. There were times we were very glad we had our Lands end water resistant jackets with fleece linings. Hats and gloves were appreciated also. We booked the PG onboard for next summer, so I will be questioning you about what to wear there! Our weather was great everywhere with only a little bit of rain, but it poured in Ketchikan all day.

Hi Misha - Wonderful wasn't it. You were right on on the clothing. My parents took four luggage bags and four carry ons. WAY too much and swore next time would pack less. Great cruise!!! and was happy to meet you - finally!!! Can't say I'm thrilled to be back, except for missing my cats!!!!!

Thank you all so much! I have finally made the mental adjustment now (with your help) and realize the same clothes are NOT going to work! I am guilty of overpacking EVERY time, so this really helps. I will probably still over pack but it will be with clothing on the warm side, lol.

Now when you are ready for your FP trip, I have lots of suggestions!

bev

Hi Cattravel, and Misha, I'm sorry we didn't meet.

I traveled with a small carryon and a small carryon duffle bag. I stuffed a lined, hooded, waterproof winter jacket into a zipped plastic bag and managed to get in the duffle along with my usual items for easy access during flight. At Hubbard Glacier, I layered three shirts and wore the hooded jacket. It was warm enough during whale watching to just wear the jacket over one long sleeved tee. The waterproof jacket was great in Ketchikan during the downpour, but the cheap ponchos are available all over AK.

By the way, I checked the rolling carryon for the trip home. It had a TSA lock. Upon unpacking this morning, it was evident that my bag had been opened and searched, but there was no TSA card stating it had been searched. Nothing was missing, but I'm wondering who did it. Aren't TSA personnel supposed to leave a card inside?

We were in Alaska 6/4 - 6/13 of this year. I ended up wearing the same clothes over and over because they were warm. Never wore my shorts, or short sleeve tops. When we went on boat excursions, I wore many layers with gloves and hat. I am sure the weather changes all the time, but I would pack to be prepared for cold or warm weather, you just never know. Enjoy Alaska, it is a different kind of beautiful than the FP, very grand!

Archived