Carry-on only

This is my first post, although I have visited CC often, very grateful for what I have learned about cruising. In a few weeks hubby and I will be leaving for Vancouver to spend a couple of days before embarking on an Alaska adventure via Serenade (7 days). After 2 wonderful cruises, hubby has suggested that this time we attempt to pack everything in our carry-on bags (regulation size, lots of pockets), but I am reluctant to agree to this. Yes, I took way too much on our previous cruises (eastern Caribbean and Panama Canal), but can I really do this? I am willing to mix and match; however, this is Alaska, and you can see by my name that I will probably feel the cold more than others. I am also willing to send out laundry. It may help you to know that we enjoy the dining room for most evening meals, but we are pretty much light breakfast eaters and for the first time will be enjoying meals in port. Finally, the main reason he wants to try this is because we have a somewhat early flight when we get back to Vancouver so it would be more convenient not to have to check bags, and we could probably get off the ship more quickly. Are we being realistic?

Welcome to the boards, but tell hubby next time for a Caribbean cruise try this. LOL. You will need windbreakers, sweatshirts, on glacier day, hats and gloves. Have you gotten binoculars ( a pair each, don't attempt to share) warm socks, etc. The weather changes dramatically and faster then anywhere I have ever been. We were off with self-disembarkation and at Vancouver airport by 9:30am and we carried off each a 29" (not carry on) sized suitcase and a carryon.

I've never been to Alaska, but I have heard from those who have that the weather and temps change rapidly - it could be 70 degrees and sunny one day and snowing the next. I got the impression that you should pack for warm AND cold climates, which equals quite a bit of clothes even if you only take a few outfits of each.

AND - what if you want to buy souveniers and such? I suppose you could just ship them home, but that is something I would consider.

Of course, this is also coming from someone who wouldn't "pack light" unless her life depended on it. :o

I was afraid of that, I really don't think it can be done. I keep seeing myself at the Phoenix airport in the middle of July layered in three different outfits with my binoculars hanging around my neck. Oh well, it's good to know you were able to leave by 9:30. Thanks so much for the "reality check".

We always travel with only a carry on. It can be done but, we never eat in the dining room (no need for dinner attire). We wear all the bulkier things on boarding day and as you mentioed, do a lot of mixing and matching. Sometime mid week, we also have some things sent to laundry. The hardest part for me is the lack of shoe space!

Remember your liquids!! I guess you can buy them before you board the ship (shampoo, conditioner,perfume, mouthwash etc...)

Oh yeah, liquids. I do not intend to spend valuable sightseeing time in Vancouver shopping for shampoo!

You might check out the board for your ship and see if it has this new take your luggage with you when getting off the ship thing. We are going to do that on our next cruise because of the time factor.

I have never been able to figure out how one can pack for a week in only a carry on. I consider myself a good packer but you all that can do that are great! I am sure that I would in no way be able to do it for our Alaska cruise!

Souvenirs, shoes, Holy Cow! What else haven't I thought of? I hate to burst his bubble but you have made me see the light. The carry-on only isn't going to happen. Only a fool would go on a cruise without checking with you all. I think I am just so excited my head is going to explode until I finally get to the Schooner Bar for my first G&T. Maybe we will do a "trial run" with the packing thing this weekend and all will become clear to him without my saying a word. Thanks again for the advice.

IMO, carry on is totally doable. Some people see "Alaska" and hit the panic button and think they need to bring everything they own. I did a month long trip with just a carry-on and a backpack. Granted, it was a bit easier because 1) I'm a guy and 2) I skipped formal nights; however, I did bring things that most others don't.

You'll have t0 get some space saver bags though for sure. They are the secret. :D http://eaglecreek.com/accessories/compression_bags/

Liquids are not a stumbling block at all. There are plenty of places in Vancouver where you can easily purchase toiletries.

Being willing to send laundry out is a big help.

Also consider mailing some of your things back to your home at the end of your cruise before you fly home. It lightens your load and gives you an escape value if you've bought more than you can carry.

I think it really boils down to what you type of excursions you will be doing. If you are really going to get out there, be active, and need gear, then it might be tough.

Just be sure you can layer. Often, if your layers are of certain materials, they are light and thin to begin with, saving space. Avoid flannel, fleece and denim if you can. Too big and bulky IMO.

Only you can say what will work for you. You might be very uncomfortable winging it or not having exactly what you need to keep you warm and dry. But you seem very flexible; why not give it a try?

You are right, GMoney, I will have to decide what I am comfortable with, but in any case, thanks for the link for the Space Saver bags. Even if we do check a bag those would be great. Mailing things home is also a clever idea that I had not thought of. I'm very grateful for the advice.

Desert Queen...

No, you are not being realistic. As a woman, I can attest to the fact that I could not imagine traveling to Alaska, or anywhere else for that matter, on a week cruise with only carry on with lots of pockets. It would NEVER happen. I don't overpack either. I have done 24 cruises and have my packing down to a science. I wear every single item of clothing and shoes I bring.

Desert Queen...

No, you are not being realistic. As a woman, I can attest to the fact that I could not imagine traveling to Alaska, or anywhere else for that matter, on a week cruise with only carry on with lots of pockets. It would NEVER happen. I don't overpack either. I have done 24 cruises and have my packing down to a science. I wear every single item of clothing and shoes I bring.

Thanks, coffeebean, I am one who listens to the voice of experience and I'm convinced that you are right. After all, this is not a shorts and T-shirt type cruise.

I understand your dilemma. I try to pack light, but it is very difficult. On our last cruise, I thought I was packing light, but I still had many clothes that I didn't wear. I think it would be really hard to get everything you need for an Alaskan cruise into a carry-on. Let us know if you manage to do it. Good luck!!

browneyes7:)

Now that we have talked how you are going to cut corners and still need to bring a regular suitcase, start thinking about how many you are really going to bring. With the airlines charging for each bag, which could be why hubby did not want to bring any bags, the fewer number of bags the less cost. But to be safe, you might want to pack a soft bag inside of the bag you check. This way you have space for those gifts and souvenirs. Good Sailing, Murf.

For our last cruise, we each had a medium-ish sized suitcase (26 inch I think) and a carry on for books, cameras, etc. We checked the suitcases for the flight to the Dominican Republic and had the ship deliver them from the pier to the cabin. Going home, we carried (okay make that wheeled) our suitcases off and to the airport we went. It was the best of both worlds. Didn't have to get it all in a carry-on only (although I have that down to a science and it is doable for a weeklong Caribbean cruise) and yet was able to walk off the ship quickly and didn't have to search for the luggage. We signed up for the carry off program which allowed us to pretty much disembark when we wanted to. I think we got off about 30 minutes after they actually called our color. Alaska though I'd opt for the medium suitcase and bring your toiletries as the exchange rate for Canada ain't what it used to be, and be done with it.

Desert Queen,

My wife and I only travel with 2 carry-on bags and two personal bags. Her's is a large pocktbook and mine a small backpack. The secret for us is quick drying clothing that can be washed each evening. We wear one set and pack a second. This is the clothing we wear each day. I pact a suit, tie and shoes for formal night and two dress slacks and one white and two dress shirts for evening dining. I pack them tight and send them to be pressed as soon as I get on board. A longer cruise means I have to send them out for cleaning and pressing.

This is obviously not for everyone but we like it. Never loose luggage, packing and unpacking takes only a few minutes and we walk off the ship first on the last day.

By the way the daily clothing we wear we get at REI, the underware from ex-officio. Haven't found quick drying socks so we take multi pairs of them.

Cheers

Archived