1st time in Key West

alprice

It depends on whether you want to do: something water-oriented such as a waverunner tour, snorkeling, a schooner cruise, parasailing, etc or want to see the history of Key West, such as touring Hemingway's house, the Truman Little White House, the Treasure the lighthouse, the Shipwreck Historeum, or the Mel Fisher Treasure Museum (The most popular museum in South Florida)or something to do with nature such as the Aquarium or the Butterfly Conservatory or something fun such as the Pirate Soul Museum, or tour the town on a bicycle or on the Trolley or the Conch Train or go to a beach such as at Fort Zachary Taylor Sate Park, or do a "pub crawl" or shop, or walk the lovely city streets to admire the architecture and landscaping.

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Key West for four days in early June. Since we're not really drinkers or shoppers, we crammed in a lot of sightseeing, including: the sign where US 1 begins, the "southernmost point in the continental US" sign and house, the Truman Southern White House, Hemingway's House, the "Audubon House", the butterfly conservatory, Nancy Forrester's Secret Garden (featuring tropical birds), a new eco-science museum, Mel Fisher's Maritime Museum with lots of ship's treasures, Croce's Pirate Soul Museum, several pretty sunsets at Mallory Square and other spots.

Our favorites: the Truman Southern White House (if you're any kind of history buffs), the Butterfly Conservatory (especially if you haven't been to one before), the Mel Fisher Museum, and the Secret Garden. Stopping for pictures at the Route 1 origin and Southernmost point were fun, quick and free (though the latter's farther from the other "favorites"). When we were there, trying to swim at the Z. Taylor State Park beach didn't work well as there was a bad undertow, the bottom was rough, and the water near shore was full of seaweed, etc. It was a good place to watch the sunset though, if you'll be there that late.

Hope this is helpful.

• 1 month later...

Five hours is not a lot of time to spend in Key West. If you like walking, I would suggest walking down Whitehead St. to the end and then coming back up Duval St. Or if you like museums, you can stay around Mallory Square and do Mel Fishers Museum, Pirate Soul, Little Whitehouse, Historeum, Aquarium and so on. These places are right near where you will be docked.

I have been vacationing in Key West every year for the last 20 years, and although I have not been there on a cruise I have given some thought to what I would do there if I only had a few hours. I would suggest you take the Trolley Tour and get off at a few stops. There is a stop near the Southernmost Point where you can do the mandatory Key West photo. The same stop is near the Butterfly Conservatory which can be done in about 30 minutes, and my favorite ice cream shop in the world, Flamingo Crossing on Duval. I would also suggest you get off at the Flagler Railroad Museum stop (but don't go in if you only have 5 hours). This puts you near B.O.'s Fishwagon for great conch fritters, fish sandwich or a burger. Then wander over to the Schooner Wharf bar and maybe you can catch Michael McCloud singing. This is great area to see boats and people. Finally, get off at the Mallory Square stop and spend whatever time you have left in that area. If you are lucky enough to be there for the sunset celebration, you don't want to miss Dominique's cat show where his cats do tricks like jumping through flaming hoops.

What are the "must do's" also, only there for 5 hours.

In the 5 hours we were there we went to the marina and Schooner's. I love taking pictures and the marina made for some really great ones. We then left and hit a couple of bars. After a few drinks at Two Best Friends and Irish Kevin's we decided to go to the southernmost point (photo opt). On the way back, we dropped into Hard Rock for a T-shirt and a pickled tink. Luckily there is a lot to do within walking distance. On the ride from the pier you also get to see a lot of interesting homes, museums and such from the exterior. We loved Key West. Like you, we just wished we would have had more time.

• 1 month later...

rent a bike for $20 and ride around the island.

go to fort zacchary state park.

go to higgins beach.

there are so many nooks and cranny's in the neighborhoods..

and the cemetary is neat to ride to, too.

lots of great photo ops in the neighborhoods.

lots of chickens that run around bahama village.

lots of pretty B&B's in the neighborhoods.

key west isn't famous for beaches..

they're famous for partying and architecture..

fantasy fest is always a fun time too, but remember..

it gets pretty crazy!

Get a "key lime pie in a stick"

Go find the wheelchair guy (usually outside Sloppy Joe's bar) who has a sign Dirty jokes $1 I need beer. Get a joke from him. (he tells clean jokes too!!)

Go to the Coach handbag outlet in the main street and buy a half-price Coach bag.

Sit outside a bar, have a drink, and watch the people!!!

Archived