Luggage Questions

Theft from luggage getting on a cruise ship is pretty unheard of - but yes, you can lock your luggage. If the luggage screening turns up anything questionable, they will take your luggage to the 'naughty room' and you will have to come down later to open it so they can inspect it/confiscate contraband. If the screening turns up nothing, it will be delivered to your room.

Since they take our luggage when we get on the boat, should I get locks for my luggage? Will they even allow locks? Can I take my own luggage off during disembarking?:confused:

Yes!!! ALWAYS lock your luggage! Even on the plane! The ship folks have NO REASON to go through your stuff--no reason at all. They are not under TSA rules. Even on airlines, your bags should be locked. You can use the TSA approved locks, but you don't have to. Any lock will do. If they need to open your bags, they will, but if they don't, no one else can rifle through your things.

Always carryon anything of value, tho--jewelry, cameras, etc... Never put anything of value out of your control.

We always lock our luggage and have never had a problem with it being delivered to the cabin. Some cruise lines allow you to disembark carrying your own luggage - depends which company you are travelling with.

Since they take our luggage when we get on the boat, should I get locks for my luggage? Will they even allow locks? Can I take my own luggage off during disembarking?:confused:

Absolutely lock your bags! Carry on any electronics, jewelry, medicines and anything of value.

I probably should have mentioned that it is a good idea to take a change of clothes, toiletries etc. in your carry on in case your luggage is delivered to your cabin late and after you want to get ready for dinner. It has never happened to us but I have heard people say they did not get their bags until 10pm. I suppose it depends how early you board and we are always so anxious to get on board that we tend to be there as soon as boarding starts.

Another vote for yes. You can buy TSA locks that will allow port authorities, to open your luggage, without breaking the lock, to inspect your luggage "if and only if" they think something doesn't look right. And yes, RCL will allow you to carry off you luggage. But the halls and stairwells do tend to get crowded on disembarkment day so the less you are dragging around the better it will be.

Wire zip ties work great too. If FSA needs in they just cut the ties. Keep a small scissors in a front unlocked zipped compartment of your checked luggage to cut open once you get in your cabin. Bring extras along for return flight.

Archived