What do you do with your stuff?

goLC

We have a cabin on SOS that I understand has no safe, like we had on Fantasy last year. What do you do with your valuables if you don't have a safe? Looking for suggestions, please! TIA

Jane

Yes, it's a security issue. For example, last year on Fantasy we left our passports, credit cards, and cash in our room safe. It was easy to get to if we needed it, but would have been hard for someone to take. I don't want to pack that stuff around wtih us everywhere!

If we used the boxes at the purser's desk, is it a pain to get stuff out? I'd think it wouldn't be very handy... Maybe locking in our luggage is the best bet, but it doesn't seem very safe to me....

Yes, it's a security issue. For example, last year on Fantasy we left our passports, credit cards, and cash in our room safe. It was easy to get to if we needed it, but would have been hard for someone to take. I don't want to pack that stuff around wtih us everywhere!

If we used the boxes at the purser's desk, is it a pain to get stuff out? I'd think it wouldn't be very handy... Maybe locking in our luggage is the best bet, but it doesn't seem very safe to me....

Why not? If you really believe that your cabin steward is going to steal your suitcase, then perhaps cruising is not for you. I do not mean for that to sound harsh, but I cannot conceive of taking a trip where you would expect such bad behavior from the staff hired to care for you.

You also need to consider the time involved. It takes time for someone to locate the right suitcase, unlock it, find what they're looking for, take the item(s), close, re-lock, return suitcase to original position. Your cabin steward isn't going to risk his job for a few bucks and anyone else isn't going to risk the time.

That said, why not utilize both options? Keep some cash & the things you want quick access to and put the things you don't need while cruising (or often) in a box at the pursers desk?

we didn't have a safe on our Sovereign cruise... and that was after the re-model...

we just locked the stuff in our suitcase and shoved it under the bed... we don't carry anything more valuable than a bit of cash, credit card, and our passports... no high-end jewelry to worry about, for example...

You should be fine doing this... I think if you are carrying a large sum of cash and high-end jewelry, you should consider a box for peace of mind... otherwise, I feel totally comfortable locking the other stuff in my suitcase...

The others are right... the staff isn't your concern when it comes to theft... they would be the first suspects if something went missing from your room and knowing this I simply can't imagine them risking their jobs in that way... they are there to take care of you...

Get a pacsafe travel safe:

travel_safe_100_clip_image002.jpg

We use ours in hotel rooms, on snorkel trips (lock to any part of the boat), on the beach (hook to lounge chair or up in the umbrella), in my car when I leave the top down I lock my i-pod and gps in the safe and attach it to the "OMG" bar!)

here's the site:

http://www.corporatetravelsafety.com/travel_safe_100.html

Every cruise I have been on with my husband, we put everything in the safe (my husband would put toothpaste in a safe, though, he is so paranoid :) ). I have been on the Sovereign with my mother and once with a group of 7 friends. I don't even remember it coming up. We just threw our passports, money in a pocket of a suitcase, no lock or anything. I have never felt that my things were anything but safe. Although, I have watched a few episodes of the Love Boat where there was a theif in their midst.... :D

I also wouldn't worry about your cabin steward. My only concern would be if s/he had to go down the hall to get something and left your door open - then a passing guest might develop sticky fingers if something were left out in plain view (although I've noticed that the cabins stewards on Monarch tend to keep the bathroom door open to block the view of the cabin).

I think putting your valuables out of sight is the most important thing - the door isn't open long enough for somebody to go through all of your drawers, cabinets, shelves, etc.

Just remember where you've hidden the stuff so you don't panic when you can't find your passport on disembarkation day!:eek:

I apologize if some took offense at my question; I simply wanted to know what people do with their valuables. Even if it is just $500 in cash and a credit card or two and a passport.... to me, those are pretty valuable. I asked because I thought perhaps I hadn't thought of an option that was obvious to everyone else. To suggest that cruising is not for me because of this wasn't very nice. True, I've only been on one cruise, but I loved it, thus the upcoming one!

Beachbum, thanks for the pacsafe link and suggestion... that sounds like a good investment for lots of situations! I appreciate it!

Golc - Please don't take offense - some people just come across as "Cranky".:eek:

I like the pacsafe gadget also but was wondering if anyone know if they have safes in the cabins on the Enchantment. I looked at the web site but didn't see it mentioned or maybe I missed it??? Thanks!

Thanks, SanibelGal...I've ordered the pacsafe... I think it will be useful for many adventures! I can use it at Coco Cay when we're on the wave runners...I'm so excited!

Oops.... since I've already ordered the one that comes with 3 keys, will any combination padlock work? Or should I wait 'til it comes and see what "fits?" If I did that, then all 4 of us could put our valuables in it at Coco Cay, and if we all 4 know the combination, don't have to look for each other to get into it. Great idea, Thanks!

We have a cabin on SOS that I understand has no safe, like we had on Fantasy last year. What do you do with your valuables if you don't have a safe? Looking for suggestions, please! TIA

Jane

I do know that at least the JS category has a safe.

Archived