Traditional Dining or Flexible Dining???

Catrin

Would you opt for the new flexible seating at dinner?  

318 members have voted

1. 1. Would you opt for the new flexible seating at dinner?

• I would choose Traditional Seating
    • I would choose Flexible Seating

We normally go with traditional, latest seating. Although on Princess, it was personal choice, but after our first evening, we liked the waiters so much that we called first thing in the morning and reserved that same table the rest of the nights. And, was able to make the reservations for different times, too (8pm, 8:15pm, 8:30pm, etc).

I like the traditional dining best. While on Triumph in San Juan we had that one night of anytime dining. I did not like it. (the 2 ladies that got seated with our group was very nice) I like sitting at the same table with the same waiters. My DH and I also went to the breakfast in the dining room several times...mainly for some alone time. The first time in there they started to seat us with others and I asked for a table for 2. (I hope that I didn't insult anyone but we did go there for alone time.) I hope that all of the ships don't go to the anytime dining.

Now I am not saying swap back and forth every other night. However, if you are trying to tell me there will be no allowance made to accommodate the situation… well, think whatever you must to keep yourself happy.

http://carnival-news.com/2008/05/09/new-flexible-dining-option-to-be-tested-on-carnival-legend-beginning-june-29/

Please note in the article it says whatever your choice is, it will be in effect for the whole cruise.

Now if you are asking if you can get away with it....probably. But I think what they are trying to avoid is people that choose traditional....then go over and try anytime and like it and never go back to the traditional dining room. Thus making it unfair to the people that could not get into traditional because it was too full.

It will say on your S&S card whether you have assigned seating or anytime. If they were smart they would ask to see you card when you enter the anytime dining;)

Unless you have actually tried a flexible type dining you really have nothing to compare. If you are traveling in a group that is large enough to have a table alone, it is one thing, but I really feel like most people find eating with strangers a very strained thing, and something that they are most uncomfortable doing. They tolerate it but are happy to be able to leave the table as soon as they are finished.

While a number of CC members think they develop a relationship with their servers, they really don't. The servers make copious notes about likes and dislikes and just follow their notes. If the servers rotated tables nightly the same items would appear after the first night. As far as friends made over dinner, there is no doubt in my mind that it does happen, but it is much less common than some would have you believe.

Unless you have a party of more than 6 it is rare to wait for a table ever during flex dining. The waits that I have seen are because the hostess cannot move fast enough, not because the tables are not ready. I also find that I get much better service and higher quality food with flexible dining.

People who prefer traditional are soon going to be faced with some difficult decisions IMO. I think that all the mass market lines will do away with traditional dining within the next 36 months and I also think that any semblemce of formal nights will also be gone in that same time frame. It has already happened on over 50% of the upscale lines and if it works there you can be sure that it will work on the mass market lines.

I don't care about the waiter "learning my preferences". I'd rather have him wait and listen to what I want to order. Just because I have cappucino and chocolate melting cake the first night, or even the first two nights, doesn't mean I want it every night. They shouldn't "assume" and start bringing things before you order them. :rolleyes:

I don't care about the waiter "learning my preferences". I'd rather have him wait and listen to what I want to order. Just because I have cappucino and chocolate melting cake the first night, or even the first two nights, doesn't mean I want it every night. They shouldn't "assume" and start bringing things before you order them. :rolleyes:

This is what makes being a waiter difficult if you dont set the tone early on. Just let them know you want to be ask for things, rather than have them brought out automatically.

Some people would find the waiter incompetent if they ordered a coke the first 2 nights and one wasnt automatically brought out the third night.

Communication is the key to a great dining experience, since they cant read minds.

I vote traditional.

I would probably really enjoy anytime if it really worked exactly like breakfast/lunch meaning that you show up, and they immediately seat you with others. I think it would be fun to meet more people that way. However, the first time I had to wait even a couple of minutes or (gasp) make reservations, I would be pretty unhappy. I don't enjoy having to make reservations and/or wait at restaurants on land, and that is part of the reason why I enjoy cruising. It is just one of the many annoyances of regular life we can avoid on a cruise...

You know you are asking most who have never tried it and don't want change. So I can pretty much tell you the traditional will win.

Now put this poll on a board that already has the choice and you will see a different outcome;)

Well, I have tried it and I did not care for it. We were cruising with 2 other couples so it was not like we did not have people we knew to talk to during dinner. Lots of people would show up at the same time and have to wait in line in for a long time to be seated. This does not happen with traditional dining. With the open dining you have to plan ahead and make decisions in advance as to when, where, and what time each day. The traditional way you just have to show up at the appointed time. To me, the traditional way was less stressful and less effort, with no long periods of waiting in line.

We prefer traditional dining. Like so many others have said, we enjoy meeting new people and really getting to know them during the course of the cruise.

Are some of the people quirky? Sure! But that's what makes them memorable!

D.

Jim & I were on HAL's Maasdam early May with "anytime" dining... Probably because we were in a suite, it didn't become any concern. The concierge called us daily and asked if she could make a reservation anywhere and at what time? We always had first choice AND, when we arrived at the dining room (if that was our choice that evening) we even asked for and got the same table. We particularly enjoyed that table as it was waaaaay aft right in the window. I have requested the same situation for next Mary. Don't know what to expect on Oceania and I can't recall what it was in the past.

I want to get to know my wait staff and tablemates and I especially like it when my wait staff starts to learn my preferences and I don't have to always ask for things (e.g. lemon slices for my water, decaf cappuccino, etc).

I agree for the same reasons

they make the cruise experience more personable!!

and very enjoyable

and I love dressing up for dinner as well !!

Its the only time I get to do it ...

We like traditional. We had open dining on the Victory ( only for one night while we were docked in Boston.) Hubster and I felt like we were missing a part of our evening by not having the same table. We loved having open breakfast and lunch, but to us, there is just something special about the same waiters. We did develope a friendship with our very first server. She is wonderful person and an excellent server. We keep in touch by email. If we had open dining we would have never met her.

We only want the traditional dining, late seating and a table to ourselves. This is one of the main reasons that we cruise, and we enjoy getting to know our waitstaff, and knowing that we will have the same staff each day. Just our preference, but still love to see people dress for dinner each night, and we will continue to do so.

Thanks for all your feedback!

It will be interesting to hear the feedback once the "test" begins on the Legend.

I am still sticking with the fact that Dinner in the Dining Room is such a big part of the entire cruise experience... and we love the routine and short term relationships we form with the staff and people sitting around us.

Catrin

Flex all the way. I personally don't care who my server is as long as the service is efficient and my meal is served hot. I love to eat when it fits my schedule - not someone else's. Now DH feels just the opposite.....

The option of 'anytime' or 'traditional' ABSOLUTELY WILL become permanent fleetwide. Carnival's "test" is a sham. They already have years of experience with it thru Princess. And this may p.o. Princess cruisers, but the demo of Princess cruisers is essentially the same as Carnival cruisers. And it will work pretty much like this poll, 60-65% traditional/35 40% anytime. Platinum cruisers will be able to get traditional while new cruisers will be told traditional is sold out.

Why would they do this when they know it doesn't really work?

For the same reason they did away with FORMAL NIGHT even tho EVERY poll on this board and EVERY SAILING on every ship showed 70% or more adherence to formal night dress code?

Lowest common denominator....

They want to be able to sell a cruise ticket to any ignorant yahoo that has the money.

Just more of the dumbing down of America.

Dan

Archived