Pros And Cons Of Inaugural Cruises

As you can see from my signature area, DH and I are looking to go on the Oasis for her inaugural cruise. I admit to having mixed feelings, though. Part of me says it is smarter to wait until some of the potential glitches have been worked out. Another part of me (having gone through two norovirus experiences) looks forward to a virgin cruise before the bug hits.

I'd be interested in comments--both pro and con--about inaugural cruises. With Oasis coming on the scene, this might become a valuable thread.

As you can see from my signature area, DH and I are looking to go on the Oasis for her inaugural cruise. I admit to having mixed feelings, though. Part of me says it is smarter to wait until some of the potential glitches have been worked out. Another part of me (having gone through two norovirus experiences) looks forward to a virgin cruise before the bug hits.

I'd be interested in comments--both pro and con--about inaugural cruises. With Oasis coming on the scene, this might become a valuable thread.

Congrats, must be neat to be first to break her in :D And sorry to hear you were so unlucky to experience a visit of Nora twice.

I think your concern about norovirus and being safer on a new ship is missplaced. This is a sensitive thing for cruise company PR. Yes, an older ship might have the bug hiding somewhere that finally gets it transfered into the heavy traffic areas. These days the cruise lines are pretty good about keeping things clean. Nothing like being in the press to ruin your reputation. You'll easily be at risk on a new ship if any one crewmember or one sick guest transfers it to the main dining area and it won't matter if the ship is new or on it's one thousandth voyage.

Personally I think doing a ship in its first season would be neat as it is new, but I don't think the maiden voyage even with all the fan fare is worth the long list of suprises. Just like a virgin :D , it's special to be first , but nothing shakes out the hidden issues like a few drives around the block. With the pressure to generate revenue I really doubt that ships get the full shake down that surface all the little things that could and will get missed without full use. A new ship in a new line is even more interesting engineering discussion. In principle all the scenarios have been reviewed but does anyone really know how the plumbing will work with a full load of folks all using them at once is one fun thougt :eek: What if a a bunch of the elevators or some other important engineering marvel needs multiple tune ups as they see heavy usage for the first time. Not saying it will happen, but in my line of work "murphy" always visits!

Does anyone here have real experience on maiden voyages and things. I can think there has got to be some good stories out; cabin eletrical/plumbing, or better?

Don't worry, I'm sure hiccups or not it'll be a blast, as its the first time and that is always special ;)

Remember that there will be probably plenty of people onboard before the inaugural - RCI will likely have several pre-inaugural sailings that won't fill the ship to capacity but will still be 2/3 to 3/4 full. So there's no guarantee that one of those passengers won't be bringing the gift of noro onboard and have it incubated just in time for the first batch of paying cruisers.

Your cheery thought for the day.:)

Remember that there will be probably plenty of people onboard before the inaugural - RCI will likely have several pre-inaugural sailings that won't fill the ship to capacity but will still be 2/3 to 3/4 full. So there's no guarantee that one of those passengers won't be bringing the gift of noro onboard and have it incubated just in time for the first batch of paying cruisers.

Your cheery thought for the day.:)

Oh you're just full of good thoughts today!;) But you make a valid point.

Archived