tendering in Grand Cayman question

Hi, my family will be on Constellation in Feb stopping in GC. My question is..what are the tenders like? I am curious because we will have our 2 kids and my 80+ grandmother wtih us. Are they pretty easy to get into? How does it work? 5 cruises, and we have never tendered!

Thanks for any info you can give me!

Kim

You will probably be in one of the covered life boats. They are very sea worthy and should be no problem getting on and off. There will be staff on hand to help with that. If the weather/waves would be too rough, the Captain makes the decision when to skip the stop for fear of injuries tendering in. Don't worry. Should be easy enough for everyone.

Generally, at arrival to the port you are given a number/time if you need to get to shore for an excursion. There will be an announcement. After everyone who needs to or wants to be on land early is gone, there is open boarding and you can leave whenever there's a tender available. (usually every 15 min or so) Once you are ready to come back to the ship, you just wait on the pier for the tender to take you back. They'll tell you when the last one will be leaving the port. Don't be late!! HA Have a great trip!

p.s. I have seen private tenders used also. But again, no dangers to be worried about.

When we were in GC last month, none of the ships in port that day used their lifeboats; they all used private tenders (similar to the one in the picture below). I felt very safe on the boat we took in to town, and on the one we took back to the ship. (And unlike Belize, they anchor fairly close to shore, so it's a quick trip!) The crews on these boats took great care in getting everyone onboard safely!

300415823_tbKDf-M.jpg

You’ve brought back memories of my March cruise on the Century. When we arrived at Grand Cayman, the sea was extremely rough — so rough, the captain informed us that many ships were being turned away. Luckily for us, he said, we weren’t among them and that tendering would proceed. Needless to say, we were overjoyed at not having to miss a port of call and eagerly made our way to the tenders. Believe me, it was the most unnerving experience I’ve ever had on a cruise. I consider myself relatively fit (even though I’m pushing 50!), but when I saw the size of the swells and how the tender was heaving up and down and smashing against the side of the ship, well, I began having second thoughts. The crew, however, were great. There were three of them to assist us, and they expertly waited until just the right moment to get us aboard the tender. Still, all of us were drenched by the blowing waves and quite a few children were crying in fear. The short ride to shore was no picnic either.

When we were in GC last month, none of the ships in port that day used their lifeboats; they all used private tenders (similar to the one in the picture below). I felt very safe on the boat we took in to town, and on the one we took back to the ship. (And unlike Belize, they anchor fairly close to shore, so it's a quick trip!) The crews on these boats took great care in getting everyone onboard safely!

300415823_tbKDf-M.jpg

Hi Jenbo,

Wish they would tell us in advance if they were using private boats or ship's life boats for tendering. Do you happen to have a picture of the dock in Gran Caymen? I use a wheelchair fulltime and skipped going ashore on GC after hearing the receiving dock was the difficulty. No biggie on our Zenith cruise. I spent my time snorting umbrella drinks through my nose while reading Good Omens. I did make the mistake of kicking off my shoes in that sun. By the time I decided I'd better find the DH my feet were a lovely shade of scarlet that required a very noticable change of shoes for formal night that evening. Anyhoo.....next time I thought tendering might be safer than the aft sun and a great book.

I use scooters and wheelchairs (not full time MS). It will depend on the sea at the time. They will get you on board but you must inform them the day before that you want to go ashore. There is a lift on the ship but not on shore. They will lift you over the stairs when required. Make sure you know where they can grab/hold you for your own comfort and safty. I know one time they allowed anyone who could walk but those confined to wheelchairs were not allowed (the lifeboat was bobbing a bit).

When we were in GC last month, none of the ships in port that day used their lifeboats; they all used private tenders ...

...Wish they would tell us in advance if they were using private boats or ship's life boats for tendering....

It could be just my experience and not true all the time, but both times we've been to Grand Cayman on Celebrity ships they've used their own tenders (select lifeboats from the ship used for this purpose as well) at Grand Cayman while we've seen other lines using the private tenders. Jenbo57 - I notice that the trip you've mentioned was on a different line so that might have something to do with it. Was one of the other ships you saw using the private tenders a Celebrity ship?

Once when we were there the waves were fairly rough and the tenders were rocking around quite a bit, especially at the tender docks at the port on shore. It was difficult for some people to get in and out and one man fell and hurt himself getting in the boat as it shifted just as he was stepping inside. I have seen them giving extra assistance at times for elderly and handicapped, so if it is rough do make sure the staff (or even the supervising officer always nearby) helping people into, or out of, the tender are aware that your elderly mother might need some assistance. While I've seen them giving some people extra attention they also are focused on getting people in and out at a good pace and might not notice that someone needs extra help unless brought to their attention.

What would happen if the seas are reasonably calm in the morning but they get rougher as the day progresses? Are people ever stranded ashore because it is too dangerous to tender them BACK to the ship?

What would happen if the seas are reasonably calm in the morning but they get rougher as the day progresses? Are people ever stranded ashore because it is too dangerous to tender them BACK to the ship?

The next ship in port will pick you up and drop you off in Haiti!

Kim, I'm glad to see you've got yourselves booked on a cruise for next year and that your grandmother is coming along. I'm sorry we won't be sailing with you, but maybe sometime in the future....please give our regards to Jim and the kids.

Jo-Ann

Hi Jo-Ann,

Gramma is really excited about the trip...she really deserves it after her past year. I sure we will manage to cruise again with you and Bob. Think of us in Europe, I wish we were going with you! Do you have any plans to come to Boston? It is harder now that your son is not here, I know. When is Jordan due home?

I'll talk to yu soon, I'll e-mail you my phone number.

Kim

Hi Jenbo,

Wish they would tell us in advance if they were using private boats or ship's life boats for tendering. Do you happen to have a picture of the dock in Gran Caymen? I use a wheelchair fulltime and skipped going ashore on GC after hearing the receiving dock was the difficulty. No biggie on our Zenith cruise. I spent my time snorting umbrella drinks through my nose while reading Good Omens. I did make the mistake of kicking off my shoes in that sun. By the time I decided I'd better find the DH my feet were a lovely shade of scarlet that required a very noticable change of shoes for formal night that evening. Anyhoo.....next time I thought tendering might be safer than the aft sun and a great book.

Sue,

I just went back through all of my pictures, and I didn't take any of the pier in GC! Unusual for me, because I usually take pictures of things that even I later look at and think, "huh?" I think I was so excited about going out to Stingray City that I wasn't paying much attention to the dock situation. I don't remember that it was particularly difficult getting off/on the tenders, though. (But after doing four ports in four days, they all kind of blend together a month and a half later!) I do remember that Belize was a little bit challenging for some, only because the water was a bit choppy that morning.

Your feet, then, matched my husband's head! He is the sun worshipper, I am not! He'll spend hours laying in the sun on the lido deck while I read in the shade on our balcony. (I just discovered Bill Bryson; read two of his books this cruise!) It seems to work for us...we celebrated our 28th anniversary on this trip! ;)

Jenbo57 - I notice that the trip you've mentioned was on a different line so that might have something to do with it. Was one of the other ships you saw using the private tenders a Celebrity ship?

No Celebrity ships...another Carnival ship and quite possibly the Freedom of the Seas (we seemed to be following one another all over the Western Caribbean)! They were running quite a fleet of tenders that day.

Hi Jenbo,

I use a wheelchair fulltime and skipped going ashore on GC after hearing the receiving dock was the difficulty. .

No worries My son is in a wheelchair and we had no problem at all as far as on shore. I cant tell you how they do the wheelchairs as far as gettig on the tender because I carried Zack on board and they folded up the wheelchair for him andthen unfolded when we got to the dock

I did see them helping on a wheelchair and they just kind of pick it up with the person in it and carry it down the stairs.

Guest carlogesualdo
Hi Jenbo,

Wish they would tell us in advance if they were using private boats or ship's life boats for tendering. Do you happen to have a picture of the dock in Gran Cayman? I use a wheelchair full-time and skipped going ashore on GC after hearing the receiving dock was the difficulty. No biggie on our Zenith cruise. I spent my time snorting umbrella drinks through my nose while reading Good Omens. I did make the mistake of kicking off my shoes in that sun. By the time I decided I'd better find the DH my feet were a lovely shade of scarlet that required a very noticeable change of shoes for formal night that evening. Anyhoo.....next time I thought tendering might be safer than the aft sun and a great book.

There's a good chance they may use a combination of lifeboats and private tenders to get everyone ashore and back. No pictures of the dock here, though. It didn't seem like it was that bad, but I didn't analyze it in terms of getting a wheelchair off a tender and onto dry land. Cayman has been doing some massive rebuilding since the 2004 hurricane season. I have no idea if the cruise docks had to have any work done.

We were on a land vacation in Cabo San Lucas a couple of years ago and this very thing happened.

We were sitting on the beach with our binnoculars watching as the tenders were trying to get pasengers back onto the ship. I KNOW some people on those tenders HAD to be getting very sick because those tenders were pitching like crazy, plus the diesel fumes! (They might have also had a few umbrella drinks in Cabo too!)

They finally gave up and took the passengers back to land and waited about 3 hours for the seas to calm down. As much as I love cruising, I was surely happy to be on land......

In some ports (Santorini for one) you have to use the port tenders. I think it is kind of like a union thing.

Sue,

I just went back through all of my pictures, and I didn't take any of the pier in GC! Unusual for me, because I usually take pictures of things that even I later look at and think, "huh?" I think I was so excited about going out to Stingray City that I wasn't paying much attention to the dock situation. I don't remember that it was particularly difficult getting off/on the tenders, though. (But after doing four ports in four days, they all kind of blend together a month and a half later!) I do remember that Belize was a little bit challenging for some, only because the water was a bit choppy that morning.

Your feet, then, matched my husband's head! He is the sun worshipper, I am not! He'll spend hours laying in the sun on the lido deck while I read in the shade on our balcony. (I just discovered Bill Bryson; read two of his books this cruise!) It seems to work for us...we celebrated our 28th anniversary on this trip! ;)

Thanks Carlos and Texas. CaptData that cruise was one long smooth. LOL Jenbo, my DH is definitely not a sun worshipper. I buy him SPF50 for just normal activities. I tend to tan easily and just wasn't thinking. I had lotion on face, neck and arms but hadn't planned on sliding my shoes off. He fell asleep in our cabin reading and I lost track of time too. Next cruise I made sure I had lotion all over and he still hauled me off our aft balcony when my legs started getting pink after like 20 minutes off Coquimbo. Seems one of my newer meds is the culprit. This Fall's cruise reading material will be school books. Hmm, we'll be celebrating 24 during his retirement cruise next year. ;-)

Galaxy used their own life boats when we visited Santorini. And the crew was not happy even with the very calm seas.

Kim: When Jane & I visited GC on our first cruise we were on private tenders from the ship to shore & had no problems. To bad you couldn't join us on the Solstice. You & Jim should check out the Connie cruise in Feb of 2010-14 days out of Miami. We intende to check out prices when we are on the Mercury in a couple of weeks to Alaska. I think you gave me you address but I can't find it could you e-mail it to me. My e-mail address should be on the paper I gave you with our address.

HI Alfred!

I will e-mail you for the info...Alaska is right around the corner, you and Jane must be so excited! As soon as Solstice does a 10+ nighter, we will be on it. I can't convince the family to do anything shorter, Feb sounds good to me. Let me know how the prices are looking hwen you get back. I will e-mail you so you have my address.

Take care, and hopefully we will crusie again soon..Lets try to do a 2-8-08 reunion sometime.

Kim

Archived