Caribbean Princess Engine Problems

David21

I just wanted to let everyone know since critic critic is always so helpful.

My daughter is on her honeymoon and she just emailed me now that they

didn't get to Bermuda until 2PM and sailed out at 5:30. They are having

major engine problems. She said everyone is upset that they only had

three hours in Bermuda and they aren't doing anything about it.

Everyone was looking forward to Bermuda the must. She's been there 5 times but her new husband has never been there. So she took him fast

to Horseshoe bay so he can see it. She said the three hours went fast.

Otherwise she said the cruise has been awesome. People are great, food is perfect and weather has been hot and sunny everyday. It's just the engine. They have been going slow the whole time and she said they probably will get in late to Brooklyn since they left Bermuda at 5:30.

Unbelievable, but I just wanted to let the cruisers going on July 1 what I heard from her. Like I said they are both having a great time but she said

passengers are very upset as I am sure alot of them never been to Bermuda and that wasn't much time at all. Hey you are on a cruise!

Dave

David, I'm really confused. Earlier today you reported they got to Bermuda at 9 a.m. and that the engine was fixed at San Juan. Now you report that they arrived at 2 p.m. and the engine wasn't fixed. Can you help me understand the discrepancy in your reports? :confused:

Yes I am sorry for the confusion - In a previous email she said the engine problem was fixed in San Juan however they found out later that the problem was worse then the captain thought and it wasn't fixed that's all she knows. The 9:00 a.m time was a type from a friends email. Sorry for the mistake. But I am POSITIVE what I am saying:

The engine problem has not been fixed it's a bigger problem.

The arrive in Bermuda at 2:00 p.m. and left at 5:30 p.m.

I just got the information wrong and so misinformation.

I am just trying to help out everyone has cruise critic has always been

helpful to me and I always do a LIVE REPORT when I sail which is usually

4-5 times a year.

If I here more from her I will let you know.

She did say passengers are looking for some kind of credit.

I think they should just give some OBC maybe.

They did make it to all the ports and like I said she was happy they

got to Horseshoe Bay but obvisouly they probably was there for an hour.

They took a taxi there.

Dave

I was suppose to pick her up Tuesday but I told her to take a taxi home

since I do not know what time they woudl get in. I can't believe that they would be arriving on time do you think so? I feel bad making them

take a taxi but we live right outside the Lincoln Tunnel on the Hudson River.

She did say passengers are looking for some kind of credit.

I think they should just give some OBC maybe.

They did make it to all the ports and like I said she was happy they

got to Horseshoe Bay but obvisouly they probably was there for an hour.

They took a taxi there.

I was suppose to pick her up Tuesday but I told her to take a taxi home

since I do not know what time they woudl get in. I can't believe that they would be arriving on time do you think so? I feel bad making them

take a taxi but we live right outside the Lincoln Tunnel on the Hudson River.

The maritime law (dating from the 19th century) offers little protection, and you cruise contract clearly notes that a cruise line has the right to miss any or all ports, and drop you off anywhere they like.

The cruise ship personnel may attempt to force a settlement offer on her by giving her OBC.

She would also be entitled to additional compensation for the taxi fare.

If she does take a taxi tell her to get a receipt from the cab service.

Sounds like the Caribbean Princess is limping along, trying to get all the booked cruises completed before dry dock. I think Princess is 1) trying to keep on budget by keeping the CB up and cruising and 2) trying to not disappoint people who have reservations pre dry dock on the books. It's a Catch 22. In the meantime prior to dry dock, IMHO, I think Princess needs to offer major compensation to anyone who has problems during the pre dry dock time period. Dream on eh?

Reminds me of what happened to the Grand Princess back on April 1st when it blew a tubocharger. I had to limp back to Fort Lauderdale and was repaired during turnaround. I hope they can get CB fixed quickly so that it can resume normal operations.

We're suppose to leave on July 1. I've lost my drive to finish packing. Don't know even know if it's necessary to finish.:( I hope that Princess advises us soon :confused:

Sanz,

Come join our roll call! Very nice bunch of people! And, we've gotten a few new people join in the past week.

I'm also on the July 1 cruise. They've made changes in our itinerary already. I don't mind checking out Tortola instead of going to St. Martin. I just hope we make it to our ports!

And, that the a/c is working!

For me, being on the cruise ship itself is the draw. I'm planning on having a great time, no matter what!

We were on the CB at the end of May and one night when we were leaving Grand Turk the engine or engines were having trouble.We were in an aft cabin and could here them trying to get the engine started and it would not turn over.We then went to dinner and the ship started moving again.We were just a mile or so off of Grand Turk when this whole thing started.That night I saw a few upper level officers walking around and I asked them what was the problem and they just laughed.They knew something was wrong but did not want to say.Needless to say, I don't find any of this engine trouble a surprise.

:mad: Do you know if it will be on time we leave tomorrow.

Just wish princess would tell us the truth. Spoke with customer service

yesterday and they say they have know knowledge of engine problems.

That is completely unacceptable when passengers that are aboard now are stating the problem is with the engine and generator.

Sounds like the Caribbean Princess is limping along, trying to get all the booked cruises completed before dry dock. I think Princess is 1) trying to keep on budget by keeping the CB up and cruising and 2) trying to not disappoint people who have reservations pre dry dock on the books. It's a Catch 22. In the meantime prior to dry dock, IMHO, I think Princess needs to offer major compensation to anyone who has problems during the pre dry dock time period. Dream on eh?
A couple of years ago, Grand Princess developed engine problems a week or two before we were due to board. When we arrived on board we found a note in our cabin stating the the itinerary would be changed and that we would get an OBC for our "inconvenience".

I really think that that Princess has taken into consideration the problems on the CB when they made the new schedule. I also feeel it is going to be an ongoing problem that will not be totally addressed until the drydock, evident by the fact they also changed the July 28th itinerary. It would not surprise me if the ship docked a little early tomorrow to give them extra time to get the current passengers off and us on. Remember departure is now 1 hour earlier then originally planned.

We can speculate all we want, but unfortunatley you will never get a straight answer from Princess.

Until we sail tomorrow.....

Alan

I really think that that Princess has taken into consideration the problems on the CB when they made the new schedule. I also feeel it is going to be an ongoing problem that will not be totally addressed until the drydock, evident by the fact they also changed the July 28th itinerary. It would not surprise me if the ship docked a little early tomorrow to give them extra time to get the current passengers off and us on. Remember departure is now 1 hour earlier then originally planned.

We can speculate all we want, but unfortunatley you will never get a straight answer from Princess.

Until we sail tomorrow.....

Alan

Have they change the July 10th and the July 19th schedules or itineraries? Or only the July 1 and the July 28th?

To everyone leaving tomorrow, Bon Voyage:D

Just be fortunate that you are on a ship when an engine fails and not on the plane:eek: . No one can foresee engine problems, it is a mechanical issue, just like when your car breaks down and you had no clue about it. No sense getting all bent over for missing a port or a shortened time in port, yelling at all the crew members wanting a refund. There is no perfect holiday so just deal with it and make the best of it!!

Just be fortunate that you are on a ship when an engine fails and not on the plane:eek: . No one can foresee engine problems, it is a mechanical issue, just like when your car breaks down and you had no clue about it. No sense getting all bent over for missing a port or a shortened time in port, yelling at all the crew members wanting a refund. There is no perfect holiday so just deal with it and make the best of it!!

I dont think poeple would be so upset, but Princess has known about this problem for awhile. (This isnt the first cruise this has happened to on the CB) I read another about poster who said it happend some time back in June leaveing Grand Turks. Just a thought but maybe thats why people are upset. As for me, Im looking forward to my cruise in the morning. A cruise is a cruise after all.

We had the same situation on HAL Oosterdam last year, one of the azipods was not working correctly. They waited until repositioning and then put a new one in. We had reduced port times. I think they did give us an OBC, which they didn't really need to do - we did visit all ports. Other than the shortened port times, the cruise was still great. I just feel sorry for all the people at Princess who are now scrambling to make schedule changes. At least they found another stop (Tortola) that could handle that many passengers on such short notice. I'm sure you will still have a good time on your cruise.

I was on the May 26 CB cruise and there were certainly no engine problems then.

I wonder if the other poster who suggested that there was a problem off Grand Turk realizes that often a pilot is on board to "direct" the ship until well away from the port, at which point they disembark. It could be the brief "pause" he noted was due to that....:confused:

:mad: Do you know if it will be on time we leave tomorrow.

Just wish princess would tell us the truth. Spoke with customer service

yesterday and they say they have know knowledge of engine problems.

That is completely unacceptable when passengers that are aboard now are stating the problem is with the engine and generator.

Tell the truth???? :confused:

Princess does not plan these engine problems.

As for the CSR area we all know what happens if you call them. :rolleyes:

Archived