Caribbean Princess Engine Problems

David21

I fail to see the logic as to why everyone is trying to contact Princess for information and then getting pissed off that they are not told the truth.

Now here is the failed logic.

1> you know the truth because CC people have told you first hand the problem

2> You do not believe the CC people and then get pissed off that Princess doesn't tell you the truth but you don't believe the CC people so its not true but it is true, dog chasing tail logic

3> your seeking something for free as soon as someone confirms the CC peoples findings

4> if not seeking something for free then why not accept what the CC people have all confirmed of the true issues and move on?

5> goto 1>

In case you have not noticed.....Large Corporations do not issue statements through their Customer Service Personnel........they issue them through Public Notices.....usually posted on their website.

.......and they do not make public announcements until they have definitive information.

So why are you expecting a Customer Service Rep to tell you all the facts..........

But if you want a statement.........here it is.......

We are having engine problems......don't know why.....we are trying to fix it......don't know when it will be fixed.....but we are doing the best we can.....so you can have a great cruise with your hard earned money.......:rolleyes:

Wow, thanks for the insight........ I now feel totaly enlightened......... How lucky that they have enough definitive information to make a public announcement to passengers that itinerary has been changed...............

...Don't forget when you are screaming with frustration at the poor lad or lass at the Princess call center, chances are they have never set foot on a ship...any ship, let alone Princess...and they are working from cue cards supplied by their managers. When genset faults etc happen they are treated like mushrooms...you know...kept in dark and fed on...well you get the picture.

They can only tell you what they are told to say...usually something under the multitask banner of 'operational reasons'.

So as much as you are getting hot under the collar about not being given any information, reasons etc etc etc for CB or any ship that is having problems...there really is no point taking it out on the person at the call center cos they know about as much as you do...and that won't be alot.

It is absolutely wrong that passengers have to find out why their ship is cutting, swapping ports etc from a discussion board such as this, but that is how things are at the moment and for the foreseeable future. Bad business practice...yes, but its all we have til such time as the lines...not just Princess but currently Voyages of Discovery who are being incredibly bad at the moment over an dead engine...eventually get their corporate acts together and remember that we who pay them good money need to be kept in the loop at all times...and the poor blighters getting it in the neck in the call centers from angry clients also need to be kept fully imformed too.

However, personally, I think that is wishful thinking as whilst there are sites like this, the lines have no need to say a word cos the sites usually let slip the information anyway, thus releasing the lines of their responsibility.

I called Princess re July 28 cruise on CB was told because of the weather we are not going to St Maarten .GIVE me a break weather 1 month in advance NO I DON"T THINK so!!!

These changes really screw up my vacation plans .We wanted to snorkel in all ports now due to short stays it will not be possible and it's too late to cancel .We could have done this cruise on another ship .Basically it is nothing more then a crossing with little port time to get a feel of caribbean islands .Am I the only one who feels cheated???

WE still have not been advised by Princess only CC about theses changes.

'Quote:'' I think there is an awful lot of speculation and panicking here given the little we know! I still maintain that there were no engine problems on the 5/26 cruise, we hit all ports and were on time for all. Someone from the cruise after has also posted the same. I really don't think it's some big conspiracy on Princess's part. Vibrations occur from time to time.....I noticed it last year (2007) when we had an aft balcony.''

Unfortunately, it was an engine problem that we had on that cruise but like I said, did not bother us, and should not bother any future cruiser on the CB. Things like that happen, and Princess is very concerned about safety.

Hi all !

Just wondering if any recent CB pax can report whether the Captain said anything re all this engine stuff at the Captain's Welcome first formal night? Nothing like getting info straight from the horse's (sorry, Captain!) mouth!

Bob

I called Princess re July 28 cruise on CB was told because of the weather we are not going to St Maarten .GIVE me a break weather 1 month in advance NO I DON"T THINK so!!!

These changes really screw up my vacation plans .We wanted to snorkel in all ports now due to short stays it will not be possible and it's too late to cancel .We could have done this cruise on another ship .Basically it is nothing more then a crossing with little port time to get a feel of caribbean islands .Am I the only one who feels cheated???

WE still have not been advised by Princess only CC about theses changes.

Cheated - maybe - but nothing you can do about it. The cruiseline has the right to change the itinerary based on conditions of the ship, ports, weather, safety, etc. It is in the cruise contract. That is the risk you take when going on a cruise. With that being said, I would want to have the safest passage possible. We have had ports cancelled due to unforseen conditions, and you have to roll with them. I am very worried about our upcoming repo cruise to San Juan. But there is nothing I can do about it.

Remember - it is a vacation - any day on a crusie ship, on a vacation, is better than a day at home or at work.

'Quote:'' I think there is an awful lot of speculation and panicking here given the little we know! I still maintain that there were no engine problems on the 5/26 cruise, we hit all ports and were on time for all. Someone from the cruise after has also posted the same. I really don't think it's some big conspiracy on Princess's part. Vibrations occur from time to time.....I noticed it last year (2007) when we had an aft balcony.''

Unfortunately, it was an engine problem that we had on that cruise but like I said, did not bother us, and should not bother any future cruiser on the CB. Things like that happen, and Princess is very concerned about safety.

Zaza, I was responding to the posts suggesting that the CB had an engine problem that they had been "hiding" since early May! Not doubting at all that there was a genuine problem with the engine/generator on the most recent cruise.

We have sailed many times that the ports have been changed or skipped completely last minute. That is industry wide, not just Princess. Nothing you can do about it but smile, relax and have a great time anyway.

In April we took a large group of friends and our motorcycles (24 bikes in all) on-board a RCCL sailing that was to stop in Bermuda....one of the main reasons we booked this cruise. Had a medical emergency and had to turn back to the eastern coast so the helicopter could reach the ship. Were we disappointed...you bet but just think of all the money Bermuda lost that day. And, the disappointment of the 200 Bermuda resident bikers that were meeting us to tour and spend the day with us! NO compensation for the lost port, not even a "we are sorry". Just part of the cruising experience.

Did the cruise line owe us anything...no, did they owe us an explanation, no. Did they conspire to hide the reason from us no. Did they do this on purpose, no. Read your cruise contract.

As far as missing the snorkeling in St. Maaten...it wasn't that great so no big loss. If having long stays at any of the islands is a biggie for you then I suggest you do land vacations instead of the cruises. You have to be flexible when cruising.

Princess will not knowingly put anyone in danger. That is what is important. If you slow down some or have to re-route, as long as you are safe the rest in immaterial.

Cheated - maybe - but nothing you can do about it. The cruiseline has the right to change the itinerary based on conditions of the ship, ports, weather, safety, etc. It is in the cruise contract. That is the risk you take when going on a cruise. With that being said, I would want to have the safest passage possible. We have had ports cancelled due to unforseen conditions, and you have to roll with them. I am very worried about our upcoming repo cruise to San Juan. But there is nothing I can do about it.

Remember - it is a vacation - any day on a crusie ship, on a vacation, is better than a day at home or at work.

Yes it is true that in the contract they can and do make changes.

However, they’re also required to keep a public service vessel in good working condition.

The ship had been having engine problems during the last few cruises.

Because of this most of the excursions are now undoable due to the schedule change.

I booked my cruise because Caribbean Princess was going to undergo a $6 million renovation.

I was looking forward to all the new additions. With the higher fare, I took the upgrading into consideration.

Then Princess decides to hold off the renovation because of the massive revenue loss during that time and scheduled 4 day sailings.

Now with the operational difficulties (if that is really the case :rolleyes: ) has shorten the stays in port.

This has left me a little disappointed in Princess and feel, as a gesture of goodwill should offer compensation.

I know that this will dampen any future bookings on Princess. We have been on over thirty cruises, and there are enough cruise lines to choose from. So, if Princess wants to ignore me or other fellow cruisers, I can give my money to those companies that appreciate me.

However, they’re also required to keep a public service vessel in good working condition.

Because of this most of the excursions are now undoable due to the schedule change.

I booked my cruise because Caribbean Princess was going to undergo a $6 million renovation.

I was looking forward to all the new additions. With the higher fare, I took the upgrading into consideration.

Then Princess decides to hold off the renovation because of the massive revenue loss during that time and scheduled 4 day sailings.

Now with the operational difficulties (if that is really the case :rolleyes: ) has shorten the stays in port.

This has left me a little disappointed in Princess and feel, as a gesture of goodwill should offer compensation.

IMHO, you are spot on Sandytoes! I agree 100%.

I want to say up front here, we LOVE Princess and it is ...... or until now, has always been our first choice, Cruise Line.

However like Sandy here, I have to agree Totally! We choose this cruise, with the slightly higher price, based on the upgrades that were to be done.

So the first disappointment was there, yet we love the ship so we stayed with it. We were on the recent June 22nd sailing with all of the problems. Another issue that isn't being talked about is the traffick gridlock in San Juan!

There was a bridge out causing MAJOR traffic issues and up to 3 HOUR delays on some excurrions :eek: Some excursions simply turned around and went back to the ship. It seems the bridge has been out for 2 weeks. The result was that ship passengers spent 3 hours of their limited time in SJ sitting on excursion busses.

The 'Talk' on the ship was that Princess has been aware of this for weeks. However I want to STRESS that this was just talk, i have know idea how valid it was.

I still loved the cruise....after all, it was still a CRUISE :D

Anne

Before castigating Princess (Carnival) management, perhaps some of the posters who are economic and business gurus might want to review the fact that Princess Cruise lines are owned by Carnival and Carnival is a public company owned by foilks just like you and me.

Before spreading the condemnation, it may be well to understand that bringing a new ship into any of the fleets involves an intitial investment now of $750,000,000 to $1, 000,000.000 (that is 3/4 to 1 Billion dollars with a B).

While most of us only look at a portion of the costs of running a line, there are many we do not see, incuding massive insurance, ships agents, local staff, crew, management, headquarters, food, fuel, mainenence, dockage, pilots, tugs, and on and on.

Any public company must turn a profit and none of the cruise companies are considered by financial experts to be profitable in the short or mid-range. You might want to check to see that the stock price of all of the major cruise lines is now at about 1/2 of is recent highs.

Cruise lines, like any business can fail. That is how Carnival (Princess) got the Pacific, Royal, and Tahitian Princess ships.

Folks, the Cruise business is just that--a business. If you believe it is a good business buy some stock--it is at an all time low now.

As costs escalate, as you can expect additional charges. That is just the way it is in any business.

Thanks Anne & JWJ

IMHO, you are spot on Sandytoes! I agree 100%.

However like Sandy here, I have to agree Totally! We choose this cruise, with the slightly higher price, based on the upgrades that were to be done.

So the first disappointment was there, yet we love the ship so we stayed with it. We were on the recent June 22nd sailing with all of the problems. Another issue that isn't being talked about is the traffick gridlock in San Juan!

There was a bridge out causing MAJOR traffic issues and up to 3 HOUR delays on some excurrions :eek: Some excursions simply turned around and went back to the ship. It seems the bridge has been out for 2 weeks. The result was that ship passengers spent 3 hours of their limited time in SJ sitting on excursion busses.

The 'Talk' on the ship was that Princess has been aware of this for weeks. However I want to STRESS that this was just talk, i have know idea how valid it was.

Anne- Thanks for the Info in San Juan. Makes it even more interesting being we'll arrive at 2pm. :rolleyes: Last time we were in San Juan we were warned about the business traffic and told to be near the pier by 3pm.

On past cruises, as soon as the ship pulls into port- I'm off heading to some destination - beach, store, sight-seeing place. Then I'm back mid-afternoon. To rest, relax by the pool before dinner.

Now, coming into port in the mid-afternoon.- well the morning's shot!!! :rolleyes:

Who wants to get off the ship at 2ish and deal with traffic?

~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~

I don't get it....:rolleyes: What does this have to do with CB?

Economic Reality.

That was really nice,I hope they do the same for 7/10:D we will be shorted an hour from each port,I really hope I can do the shore excursions!

i don't think they r going to give anyone else a credit since they are telling u up front about the change.. i think the last one was just a goodwill, they really did not need to

i don't think they r going to give anyone else a credit since they are telling u up front about the change.. i think the last one was just a goodwill, they really did not need to

Are you serious?I dont think it's fair to spend all that money for a cruise and get your itinerary together to have to change it at the last minute,out of all the excursion princess offers the ONE we really really wanted to we cant and it like"what ever SO" thats so jacked up!:mad:

That was really nice,I hope they do the same for 7/10:D we will be shorted an hour from each port,I really hope I can do the shore excursions!

Being the 7\1 cruise knew about the change in port times before the cruise, I am wondering if they will receive OBC. The passengers on the 6\22 didn't know about the changes until they were on board. I think that is the reason they received OBC.

I am going to wait until the posters on the 7\1 cruise before I write Princess.

As for the excursions, the change in time really did hurt all my plans. Right out the window......:(..:mad:

Are you serious?I dont think it's fair to spend all that money for a cruise and get your itinerary together to have to change it at the last minute,out of all the excursion princess offers the ONE we really really wanted to we cant and it like"what ever SO" thats so jacked up!:mad:

Sometimes it just can't be helped. When a ship has some sort of problem that can not be repaired easily, they can't pull it into the nearest repair shop. So instead of disappointing thousands of passengers, they change the itineary. The cruise contract covers this totally and they have the right to change ports, port times or miss ports without offering any compensation whatsoever.

I would suggest you read the contract, so you will be fully aware of your rights or lack of them. ;)

Being the 7\1 cruise knew about the change in port times before the cruise, I am wondering if they will receive OBC. The passengers on the 6\22 didn't know about the changes until they were on board. I think that is the reason they received OBC.

They may have known about the changes before the cruise, but it was too late to cancel with no penalty. Bascially, a good part of the reason for taking a cruise (port time) was eliminated. No problem for those who just love being on a ship at sea, but a big disappointment to those who selected the cruise because of the ports and what could be done at them.

Yes, I have been on cruises where a port stay was shortened or eliminated due to valid operational reasons, but this is a case of every port being affected.

Archived