Stateroom advice

MICK48DC

we are looking to book a verandah stateroom , HAL appears to charge higher prices for identical staterooms dependent on deck height , why ?? , whats the advantage of being on deck 7 v deck 4 ??? , service, view ??

we are looking to book a verandah stateroom , HAL appears to charge higher prices for identical staterooms dependent on deck height , why ?? , whats the advantage of being on deck 7 v deck 4 ??? , service, view ??

View. :)

Good question. We'd prefer a lower deck because if the seas are rough, there's less motion on the lower decks. It's all a matter of personal preference.:D

Some people think that “higher is better”. Just like hotels charge more for higher floors and/or put the suites up there. Other people like to be up closer to the Lido buffet, pool, spa, gym and children’s facilities.

Others like to be down lower for a smoother sail or to be closer to the main pubic rooms.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCC - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ’09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ‘07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

I have often wondered the same thing. I am sure they must have reason...or at least think they do...but I'll be damned if I can figure it out.

I think NCL is the, "King of Cabin Pricing". They make absolutely no sense at all. On their ships you can almost have two cabins side-by-each and have different prices!

Like someone else said, we try to book cabins mid-ships and near the top. Why? Just because that is where we like them.

On some ships, you have to make sure you're aware of where the lifeboats are as well--can hamper the downward view a little. We like middle middle, but we're fairly flexible. As mentioned, some decks have different sized verandahs as well--when you narrow down the cruise/ship you want, ask or search here for information on specifics--we've found some great information here. Some people have websites for the purpose of comparing balcony sizes on various ships & decks--really helpful for us when we're getting ready to book a cruise:D

Just came back from a cruise on the Oosterdam to Alaska. I'm pretty sure that the veranda staterooms on level 4 had the lifeboats right outside their rooms, but not sure.

We were in 7007, so close to the front that the light on our balcony was turned off--permanently--so as not to interfere with the navigational stuff going on in the bridge. We were the third stateroom in. The first and second veranda rooms have partially obstructed views because of the bridge and a huge spotlight. At least I considered them obstructed views. I don't know if they were priced less or not.

We were very happy with our room notwithstanding the light issue. It gets very windy out there!

On the Oosterdam, VE category staterooms are on Deck 5, directly above the lifeboats. They don't interfere with the view out to see - they are about six feet beneath the bottom of your veranda - but looking straight down from the rail, all you see is the top of the lifeboats. If you also happen to choose a cabin that is above the larger lifeboats they use for tenders (aft of the midship elevator), you'll probably get an early wake-up call in ports where tendering is required. Having said that, they are the most affordable veranda category if you really want or need a midship location. We weren't at all bothered by the lifeboats.....

I think NCL is the, "King of Cabin Pricing". They make absolutely no sense at all. On their ships you can almost have two cabins side-by-each and have different prices!

Like someone else said, we try to book cabins mid-ships and near the top. Why? Just because that is where we like them.

Not almost , I booked a cabin for $200. less than the cabin next door:cool: on NCL.

Here is my theory. Back when ships were the major transport for immigrants, the wealthy were in staterooms higher up on the ship, and steerage was way down low. There has since been the idea that the higher up you are, the more wealthy you are. If people are willing to pay for this, the cruise lines will charge more.

Personally, I like getting a stateroom on a lower deck, and I have a policy of never ever taking the elevator. That way, I get lots of built in exercise, and can eat a bit more.

Archived