Islip to Brooklyn Pier

Because I have free Southwest Airline Tickets, I must fly into ISLIP. We are flying in from El Paso, TX. We have booked a New England/ Canada cruise that leaves out of Brooklyn. Is it possible to take the LIRR to Manhatten and then a car service to the pier. In checking with car services from the airport to the pier, it appears to be quite expensive. I have done some research and there seems to be mixed reviews on whether this is a doable option. We have plenty of time to get to the pier as we are flying in the day before. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Because I have free Southwest Airline Tickets, I must fly into ISLIP. We are flying in from El Paso, TX. We have booked a New England/ Canada cruise that leaves out of Brooklyn. Is it possible to take the LIRR to Manhatten and then a car service to the pier. In checking with car services from the airport to the pier, it appears to be quite expensive. I have done some research and there seems to be mixed reviews on whether this is a doable option. We have plenty of time to get to the pier as we are flying in the day before. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Take the Hampton Jitney. You don't even want to try to go on the LIRR with luggage. You will have to take a taxi to get on the bus into Manhattan, but you would also have to take a taxi to get to the LIRR. You have to take the South Fork Line. http://www.hamptonjitney.com/cgi-bin/nav.cgi?page=home.html

Car service into Manhattan from Islip will cost $100.00+.

Take the Hampton Jitney. You don't even want to try to go on the LIRR with luggage. You will have to take a taxi to get on the bus into Manhattan, but you would also have to take a taxi to get to the LIRR. You have to take the South Fork Line. http://www.hamptonjitney.com/cgi-bin/nav.cgi?page=home.html

Car service into Manhattan from Islip will cost $100.00+.

As a regular user of the LIRR, I see no problem with bringing baggage on the trains as long as you travel during off peak. In fact, many people bring baggage on board, especially with the airtrain link at Jamaica to JFK. That said, if you are not spendng the night in Manhattan, you should take the LIRR directly to Flatbush, Brooklyn, and then a cab from there. Flatbush is a major station of the LIRR. If you are interested in this option, you can call the LIRR and they will assist you in the logistics of getting from Islip to Flatbush. http://www.mta.nyc.ny.us/lirr/

As a regular user of the LIRR, I see no problem with bringing baggage on the trains as long as you travel during off peak. In fact, many people bring baggage on board, especially with the airtrain link at Jamaica to JFK. [/url]

You live in Long Island. I fly to NYC monthly for work. The LIRR may be a daunting experience with luggage for someone from El Paso. I stand by my post. Take the Hampton Jitney. Once in the taxi, your luggage is taken care of for you until you arrive Manhattan. New Yorkers/East Coasters may not flinch about getting on and off the LIRR with cruise luggage. I have business accounts at Exit 60 and Exit 34, LIE. I hate to ride the train with more than a briefcase. I had to take two file boxes with me one time. NEVER again.

You live in Long Island. I fly to NYC monthly for work. The LIRR may be a daunting experience with luggage for someone from El Paso. I stand by my post. Take the Hampton Jitney. Once in the taxi, your luggage is taken care of for you until you arrive Manhattan. New Yorkers/East Coasters may not flinch about getting on and off the LIRR with cruise luggage. I have business accounts at Exit 60 and Exit 34, LIE. I hate to ride the train with more than a briefcase. I had to take two file boxes with me one time. NEVER again.

and the train schedule sucks too...

and the train schedule sucks too...

why do you say that? which train do you utilize? It sure beats being stuck in traffic at the midtown tunnel, or stuck in Hamptons traffic.:eek: Or subway. The OP is flying into Islip. What sense is it to use up her savings on car fare? She asked about the LIRR, it is a doable option if she wants to save money.

why do you say that? which train do you utilize? It sure beats being stuck in traffic at the midtown tunnel, or stuck in Hamptons traffic.:eek: Or subway. The OP is flying into Islip. What sense is it to use up her savings on car fare? She asked about the LIRR, it is a doable option if she wants to save money.

I tried to reverse commute a few times from Islip. the trains were few and far between. The times suck. My opinion. You can take the train. Most of the time mid day the traffic isn't that bad. Also while I refrained from my comment have you ever tried to get a cab from Atlantic terminal? I suggest having a car service's telephone number and calling them when you get in if you take the train. Here is a typical pm schedule many of the trains require 2 changes.

Departing Schedule

Thursday, 07/03/2008

Depart Arrive

Transfer Leaves

Islip Flatbush Avenue

1:55 PM 3:27 PM

Babylon

Jamaica 2:10 PM

3:07 PM Off Peak

2:57 PM 4:25 PM

Jamaica

4:05 PM

Off Peak

3:50 PM 5:14 PM

Babylon

Jamaica 4:05 PM

4:54 PM Off Peak

5:02 PM 6:22 PM

Jamaica

6:04 PM

Off Peak

5:48 PM 7:19 PM

Babylon

Jamaica 6:06 PM

7:01 PM Off Peak

:)Thank you all for your replies. I thought a little bit more info may help. Our cruise is from Sunday to Sunday. We will fly in Saturday night and spend the night at the Long Island Hilton Garden Inn. The Hilton has a shuttle service to the LIRR. I thought that it was a direct route to Manhatten and then I would arrange for a car service from that terminal to Red Hook(Brooklyn). We will return on Sunday but then spend the night at the Hilton and fly home on Monday. Sunday sounds like a better day to be on the LIRR with luggage. If I did take the Hampton Jitney how close does that get me to Red Hook. I emailed them two days ago and they still have not replied. Again I appreciate your help. We have done many cruises but none from the Northeast and as you can see I am not familiar with that area at all.

I am assuming that you are staying at the Hilton Garden Inn near the airport. There are no Hampton Jitney stops near there for the Brooklyn service.

The LIRR is usually not crowded on Sundays and you should be okay as long as you don't mind carrying your luggage around. There will be no one to assist you with your bags.

The Flattbush Ave. stop in Brooklyn is closer to the pier. However, you will have to change trains at the Jamaica station and this will be a hassle with all the luggage.

I would take a direct train to Penn Station and then a cab to the Brooklyn pier.

Cruizingmama, we are also from Texas and are regulars on SWA.

In May, for a QM2 cruise, here's what we did:

Flew SAT to ISP on a weekday. Arrived early evening after rush hour. Took the airport's regular shuttle to the LIRR station (Ronkonkoma), bought tickets at the machine, and boarded the train 5 mins before departure. (Next one was in about an hour, had we missed this one.)

Rode into Manhattan (Penn Station, no train changes) and took a cab from there to our hotel on the lower east side. Spent 2 nights; morning of the cruise, took a taxi to Red Hook (bring directions; our cabbie did not know where it was at all).

Post-cruise: had reserved a rental car at the Brooklyn Enterprise location. Took a cab from ship to Enterprise (they took this cost off our rental). Drove to Long Island and stayed a night. Returned the car to the slightly off-airport Enterprise office (much more pricey to return AT airport). (They could then take you to your Hilton, which would shuttle you to ISP.)

We had no trouble taking our bags on the LIRR, as it was after rush hour and there was plenty of room. We did pack light, (well, two medium rolling bags and a large hanging bag), and are able to handle our own bags going up stairs at Penn Station.

HTH,

Jan

If you are going to take a car service, why not have them pick you up at the Jamaica station or in Brooklyn instead of going all the way into Manhattan? You are going west of the pier and than having to go back East.

The suggestion of going to Brooklyn and taking a cab is really the easiest way. For your return, I would have a car service waiting for you at the cruise ship terminal - the cab lines can be long.

Smeyer, the trains run at least once an hour - while not as convenient as the trains in the City, you simply need to time your arrival so you aren't waiting forever. And on a weekend, the trains aren't over full and the overhead racks are available to store luggage.

Those of us who live on LI are well used to the train schedule and it is certainly not impossible.

Since OP is staying at a hotel with a shuttle to the train station, this is not a daunting task.

For the record, the cost of a one-way, off peak fare from Islip to Flatbush Avenue is $9.75, if you purchase on the web it would cost $9.26. If you are a senior citizen it would cost $6.75 or 6.41. The train leaves Islip every hour. Depending on the train, you would have to transfer either once or twice, which is very easy. All you need to do is get off the train and cross the tracks. Even with the two transfers Islip to Flatbush Avenue in less than an hour and a half. There is no way to drive from Islip to Brooklyn in less than an hour and a half, not even figuring in the cost of the car service. . .It is not up to us to project our personal opinions onto others' situations. The OP wished information to get from Islip to Brooklyn. People take the train and luggage ALL the time. What is the difference of wheeling your luggage onto the LIRR and putting it into the overhead, than taking a plane and wheeling your luggage and putting it into the overhead? Or taking Amtrak? With the price of gasoline people need to find cost effective alternatives to driving. . .taking the train is one way. Of course flying into JFK or LGA is the recommended option, but in the OPs case, Islip is the airport of choice.

What is the difference of wheeling your luggage onto the LIRR and putting it into the overhead, than taking a plane and wheeling your luggage and putting it into the overhead? Or taking Amtrak? With the price of gasoline people need to find cost effective alternatives to driving. . .taking the train is one way. Of course flying into JFK or LGA is the recommended option, but in the OPs case, Islip is the airport of choice.

Because most people aren't taking a cruise with just carry on size luggage, which is what you are advocating. The one poster who did it SPECIFICALLY stated two carryons and a hanging bag. That is doable.

But most people will have AT LEAST a carryon PLUS a 26-28" full size suitcase weighing 50 pounds. And flying SW, you may have TWO full size suitcases. No way are you going to manhandle that on the LIRR WITHOUT a LOT of hassle.

Again, we don't know how comfortable the OP is taking trains, changing trains, etc. And staying overnight around Islip changes the equation somewhat. But I will state again-IF the OP has more than carryon size luggage, forget the LIRR.

And as someone who takes the LIRR frequently, even large luggage isn't a huge problem especially on a weekend.

I see people doing it all the time and I've done it myself.

Again, we know nothing about the OP. But I do know that I take new employees from the Midwest/West Coast into NYC almost every month. They are often shocked by the experience. The people, the traffic, the crowded conditions. Getting on a subway or train is totally foreign to them. There AREN'T local trains/subways in their home areas. So reading a train schedule, trying to move LARGE luggage from train to train is a DAUNTING experience. And these guys are over the road, cross country truck drivers very used to UNUSUAL situations-not your average person.

You truly must consider what the OP's normal experience is.

I thank you all for your input. The info has been a tremondous help. I am going to be a brave girl and take the LIRR to Penn and then arrange a car service from Penn to the pier. I am traveling light and use to handling my own suitcase. Look out NY here I come!!!

I thank you all for your input. The info has been a tremondous help. I am going to be a brave girl and take the LIRR to Penn and then arrange a car service from Penn to the pier. I am traveling light and use to handling my own suitcase. Look out NY here I come!!!

You CAN do it! :D Let us know how you make out.

Go for it!!!! Have fun!!!!

• 1 month later...

We are also traveling from Texas to ISLIP on SWA, and considering the same travel plans to the pier. Your post did not list a cruise departure date, so not sure if you have sailed yet or not. Just wondering how your LIRR experience worked out. Regards, Sky

• 3 weeks later...
Cruizingmama, we are also from Texas and are regulars on SWA.

In May, for a QM2 cruise, here's what we did:

Flew SAT to ISP on a weekday. Arrived early evening after rush hour. Took the airport's regular shuttle to the LIRR station (Ronkonkoma), bought tickets at the machine, and boarded the train 5 mins before departure. (Next one was in about an hour, had we missed this one.)

Sue, I think (hope!) the OP also knows it's Ronkonkoma, and it's kind of you to point out a possible point of confusion. :) I know another poster did mention Islip Flatbush Ave., which isn't the station one would use coming from ISP (MacArthur Airport), you're so right.

Looking forward to hearing how Cruizingmama and Skyking's cruises went!

Regards,

Jan

• 2 months later...

I found this thread helpful before our recent 10/23/08 Princess cruise from Redhook, and I just want to share my experience. We landed at Islip late on the 22nd and stayed at the airport La Quinta - clean, comfortable and reasonable. Missed their free shuttle, which stops running at 11 pm and took a cab for $10. The next morning, after the comp breakfast, we took the La Quinta free shuttle to the LIRR station, arriving about 10 am. This was, maybe, a 10 minute ride. Picked up tickets at the window for $9.75 each and jumped on one of the hourly off peak trains direct to Penn Station. We had two large rolling suitcases and a carry on back pack each. Many other passengers with rolling bags placed them at the front of the passenger car, across from the open wheelchair area, in a small alcove area. They then sat in rows close to their suitcases, keeping an eye on them. I elected to put both of our large bags (45 lbs each according to the airline scales) on the luggage rack directly over our seats. No trouble at all, and I'm sure a conductor or other passenger would assist someone if necessary. The train was fairly empty when we boarded and it filled up considerably as we neared Manhatten, but it never filled completely. Getting out at Penn Station was easy, and I was amazed at the food, news stands and shopping all around me - and the general buzz in the station. We picked up some bottled water and motion sickness pills and headed outside to the taxi stand. I did ask a friendly cop which exit brought us to the taxi line. We were in a cab in minutes and the driver understood when I said Brooklyn Redhook cruise terminal, via the Battery Tunnel. There was a lot of traffic and the cab ride took about 30 minutes, and cost $35. (I noted that we drove right past the Manhatten cruise terminal, which seemed like it was walking distance from Penn Station.) We were on the Sea Princess by 1 pm.

My advice - don't fear Islip, the LIRR, carrying bags, Penn Station or the cab ride. Thanks to the posters who made this transfer easy and a lot of fun.

I found this thread helpful before our recent 10/23/08 Princess cruise from Redhook, and I just want to share my experience. We landed at Islip late on the 22nd and stayed at the airport La Quinta - clean, comfortable and reasonable. Missed their free shuttle, which stops running at 11 pm and took a cab for $10. The next morning, after the comp breakfast, we took the La Quinta free shuttle to the LIRR station, arriving about 10 am. This was, maybe, a 10 minute ride. Picked up tickets at the window for $9.75 each and jumped on one of the hourly off peak trains direct to Penn Station. We had two large rolling suitcases and a carry on back pack each. Many other passengers with rolling bags placed them at the front of the passenger car, across from the open wheelchair area, in a small alcove area. They then sat in rows close to their suitcases, keeping an eye on them. I elected to put both of our large bags (45 lbs each according to the airline scales) on the luggage rack directly over our seats. No trouble at all, and I'm sure a conductor or other passenger would assist someone if necessary. The train was fairly empty when we boarded and it filled up considerably as we neared Manhatten, but it never filled completely. Getting out at Penn Station was easy, and I was amazed at the food, news stands and shopping all around me - and the general buzz in the station. We picked up some bottled water and motion sickness pills and headed outside to the taxi stand. I did ask a friendly cop which exit brought us to the taxi line. We were in a cab in minutes and the driver understood when I said Brooklyn Redhook cruise terminal, via the Battery Tunnel. There was a lot of traffic and the cab ride took about 30 minutes, and cost $35. (I noted that we drove right past the Manhatten cruise terminal, which seemed like it was walking distance from Penn Station.) We were on the Sea Princess by 1 pm.

My advice - don't fear Islip, the LIRR, carrying bags, Penn Station or the cab ride. Thanks to the posters who made this transfer easy and a lot of fun.

Thank you for posting back your experiences. I am glad everything went smoothly and you found the LIRR a "doable" experience. I hope people will now consider it for the JFK Airtrain transfer to LIRR at Jamaica to Penn run.

• 2 weeks later...

In March of 2007, at the age of 65, I flew into JFK from Brazil after a 9 week vacation. I had a large bag and a carry-on. I took the AirTrain, transferred to the LIRR and got to Manhattan for $8! I recommend that way.

I don't know about going to Manhattan from LI, and going back to LI. Seems like the long way around, but IF you do it that way...you still have another option. Call the taxi which is not in Manhattan, but can come to get you for 1/2 the price of the other taxis. We stumbled upon this taxi service with the advice of a local. When our cruise returned, there were long lines for the taxis which were $50 to Manhattan. I called the local taxi, they were there in 5 minutes and took us to Manhattan for $22 (don't forget about a tip for either taxi)

I think the name is "Eastern" The number is 718-499-6227. You won't be sorry. Good luck.

Maybe you can call them from where you are when you get off the plane. Ask for a quote!

• 3 months later...

We live in Islip-- the limos will take you to Red Hook (did that for QM2) & also to Manhattan pier (did that for Connie)

But seems they don't do Bayonne--We won't be doing a train & "shlepping"--so will probably drive or cancel the cruise-- It may well be easier to fly from Islip to FLL & take a cab to the port

Are there any cruise line busses anymore from LI?

Archived