Might be cancelling

If I were to cruise of of San Juan, I would probably cancel as well.

Consider driving to a port (even if it's a 2 day drive). You are a family, so driving is only the cost of gas, and maybe a hotel night.

Then cancel your cruise, and book one from Florida.

We drive to port. We are about 10-12 hours from Galveston, NO and Mobile so we just drive to port. Of course the cheapest cruises are out of FL but that adds another day onto our drive. If the price is right we'd drive there too.

No way we can afford to fly. We'd have to give up vacations if flying was the only option.

Wow I would cancel too if I was leaving from San Juan. We deffinately can't afford it so we choose to fly into Florida which is more reasonable. I do like the itinerarys in SJ but just too much money.

Personally I would just move my cruise to another one that is leaving out a closer port. I can't imagine the dissapointment of cancelling :(

Just wondering how many out there might be cancelling their cruise b/c airfares are just to high. We're booked on a cruise next March out of San Juan. There are five in the family, having a hard time thinking about spending over $2,500 on flights! :mad:

Where do you live?

I would do what others have said cancel it and book one from a port that you can drive to. Myself & DH are looking at ports closer to us than PC...but we are not cancelling Glory in Sept. (Heard the other night on our local news that gas will be $4.50 by the end of this year and $7.00 by 2010 :mad: ) How I do hope that they are wrong!!!

I'm losing my job in Oct and was booked on HAL Eurodam. Already booked flights using FF miles so, cancelled Eurodam, booked Liberty, saved $500. Changed hotels to lower priced alternatives but I will still cruise. Im gonna need the R&R to get my head back into job seeking mode after 22 years!;)

I'm in Minnesota. Just flying to Florida is really expensive right now. We have some time so I'm holding out! :D

Yeah, that is a haul. Could you tack on a day each way and drive to Chicago? I see flights from there to SJU next March for less than $300 RT. That would save over $1,000 for 5 of you. I'd explore all options before cancelling, that cruise from San Juan is wonderful, and if you can spend a day or two in San Juan before or after its even better.

DH and I went on a cruise from Miami on the Triumph in May. I checked airfare today as we are looking at going on a cruise in Sept. for my birthday....:D I am not stuck on any certain itinerary....just a carnival ship and a good deal....a good balcony or better I hope. The same flight is now $200 cheaper. :confused:

I am checking the prices for cruises and flights daily...it's mind boggling.

I'm in Minnesota. Just flying to Florida is really expensive right now. We have some time so I'm holding out! :D

I think that I would look into driving it...get a cheap motel half way there. I think that it would be a lot cheaper than flying. That is if you can take the extra time off work or you would have to do a shorter cruise. :(

If you are good about paying credit cards off, now is the time to get an airline card for future travel. Heck, just putting gas on it will get you 2 RT tickets in 6 months...LOL!!! Just pay it off every month.

Just wondering how many out there might be cancelling their cruise b/c airfares are just to high. We're booked on a cruise next March out of San Juan. There are five in the family, having a hard time thinking about spending over $2,500 on flights! :mad:

Maybe you could cancel your cruise and book one that leaves from the US.

We are a family of 5 cruising over Christmas from San Juan. We love the itinerary so are really looking forward to this cruise but you are right - airfare is sky high! Right now we have Carnival air booked which is reasonable but we were denied a deviation to fly a day early. Too nervous to fly in the winter from the midwest that far on the day of the cruise so looking daily for a break in air prices!

Unfortunately for my family our upcoming cruise next year may be our last due to the cost of airfare. Prices on tickets from Colorado to ports that serve the Caribbean are getting way to high and driving to the port is really not an option for us. Although, we already have our tickets for next year and we paid $30 less per person than we did for our cruise in 2007 and we waited it out in 2007 to see if the prices would drop but they never did.

I'm definitely concerned about it. Our next cruise isn't until Feb. 2010. At least we're not bringing the kids this time so we will only have to buy airfare for 2. It will probably be doable but we would definitely have to reconsider if the kids were coming with us. Driving wouldn't really be an option because it's Chicago to San Diego. We could drive to Florida if we had to tho.

If you are good about paying credit cards off, now is the time to get an airline card for future travel. Heck, just putting gas on it will get you 2 RT tickets in 6 months...LOL!!! Just pay it off every month.

We get a companion fare once a year with ours cc and we use it quite a bit to get the miles. I don't use it for gas because I get 5% rebate on gas using amex. Between the two I usually never pay for tickets. We also route our trips so if they ask you to give up your seat for free tickets we can do it and still arrive where we are going just a few hours later. Before I get yelled at we booked our cruise to arrive the morning of the day before. ;)

I'm definitely concerned about it. Our next cruise isn't until Feb. 2010. At least we're not bringing the kids this time so we will only have to buy airfare for 2. It will probably be doable but we would definitely have to reconsider if the kids were coming with us. Driving wouldn't really be an option because it's Chicago to San Diego. We could drive to Florida if we had to tho.

I'm concerned too! We are going to Hawaii 12 day cruise Oct 6 and I might have to cancel because of the airflights. I don't want to cancel but my DH thinks we should because airflights are to high.:(

Archived