Might be cancelling

Hope you don't have to cancel your cruise. We love to cruise but the airfares are way out of line. We are going on the Miracle in April out of NY and we are taking Amtrak. We are lucky that we are close to NY, NJ and Baltimore ports. Now we can only hope that cruise fares don't become out of reach for the middle class. I would find a cruise closer to home and check into driving or some sort of mass transit. Amtrak is still allowing each passenger to check 3 bags and 2 carry ons.

Just wondering how many out there might be cancelling their cruise b/c airfares are just to high. We're booked on a cruise next March out of San Juan. There are five in the family, having a hard time thinking about spending over $2,500 on flights! :mad:

You don't say where you live but why not look into finding a cruise leaving from a port closer. Even if you had to drive say 12 hours to get to the port, that would save you lots of money and is still do-able. If you can find one then you just have your pvp or TA change your cruise. We just did this. We were planning to fly to Alaska with our grandson. The total trip was going to cost us a mint. Instead I changed the plan, booked 2 cruises that we could drive to from 2 different parts of the country. TA had it switched in a matter of minutes.

In the past we have driven to the ports. This time we are going to try Amtrak. Gas would cost us $450.00 round trip at the current prices and Amtrak is only $360 round trip for the four of us. And it only adds 4 hours to the trip (assuming all goes as scheduled).

I am finding that for either one or two people it is no more expensive to fly than it is to drive. We are driving more often not because fo costs issues, but because of the limits on taking liquids on the plane. Much easier to put the liquor in the trunk than to try to pack it in luggage.

We recently cancelled our Med cruise on Freedom beecause of the air fares and the exchange rates on the Euro.

We have to fly from the West Coast, and it was just too much...more in fact than the cost of the cruise!!

We're sticking pretty much to repositions...first out of Vancouver....then west coast home ports to Mexico, South America and Hawaii.

We have booked a reposition on HAL for September to replace the Med cruise....we'll get 36 cruise days, vs 12 on the Freedom, plus 14 ports, excursions, and air fare home for about $1500US more than the Med cruise!

We're so thankful that we live in San Diego! :D

Yeah, you get to cruise to Mexico, or Mexico or Mexico- yuck!

We drove down last December to SD for a 7 day, our 3rd Mexico ruise, but how many times can you do the typical three (Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto) without getting bored? Those in FL have the caribbean, which has better beaches and cleaner ports. In the past, we prefered paying for airfare and flying to FL rather than driving down to CA to see the slummy side of Mexico.

how many times can you do the typical three (Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto) without getting bored?

A hundred or more?

We cruise because <guess what> we like to cruise! We don't care where we go, and sometimes don't even get off the ship! Now, how can that possibly be boring!? :)

A hundred or more?

We cruise because <guess what> we like to cruise! We don't care where we go, and sometimes don't even get off the ship! Now, how can that possibly be boring!? :)

I agree! We also love to cruise and not as interested in where we are headed. Staying on the ship during stops is relaxing and great fun.:D

We drove down last December to SD for a 7 day, our 3rd Mexico ruise, but how many times can you do the typical three (Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto) without getting bored? Those in FL have the caribbean, which has better beaches and cleaner ports. In the past, we prefered paying for airfare and flying to FL rather than driving down to CA to see the slummy side of Mexico.

We did a 12-day...Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Acapulco, Loreto and more and it was one of the best cruises ever...could be because it was the longest :) I didn't think I would like it because I live for the turquoise water of the Caribbean but it was wonderful. Not slummy.

Interesting .. I am always thinking .. gosh people only cruise the Carib .. I truly don't care if I ever get back there .. not my cup of tea .. but I could go to mexico once a year .. and there ARE other ports.

Just wondering how many out there might be cancelling their cruise b/c airfares are just to high. We're booked on a cruise next March out of San Juan. There are five in the family, having a hard time thinking about spending over $2,500 on flights! :mad:

Guess it all depends on what you usually have to pay for flights. To me, that's not worth cancelling my cruise for. We are flying out of Toronto to SJU next March and the flight for TWO is $1700. Now that hurt! It's more than we're paying for the cruise.

We are a family of 5 cruising over Christmas from San Juan. We love the itinerary so are really looking forward to this cruise but you are right - airfare is sky high! Right now we have Carnival air booked which is reasonable but we were denied a deviation to fly a day early. Too nervous to fly in the winter from the midwest that far on the day of the cruise so looking daily for a break in air prices!

What do you mean "denied deviation"....I thought it you paid the deviation fee - and any difference in the fare - YOU could decide when you fly :confused: .

I'm losing my job in Oct and was booked on HAL Eurodam. Already booked flights using FF miles so, cancelled Eurodam, booked Liberty, saved $500. Changed hotels to lower priced alternatives but I will still cruise. Im gonna need the R&R to get my head back into job seeking mode after 22 years!;)

So sorry about you losing your job after 22 years. Am glad you still budgeted for your cruise.

We bought our airfare for next April cruise already. United-Day before added baggage fees went into place. Sad thing is what we paid to go from Colorado to LAX is more then we paid to go to Florida last October for our Liberty cruise.

We to are 12 hours from Galveston but their prices are so much higher then out of Florida. Would love to drive with the gas prices but one equals out the other for us.

$2500 airfare I would probably have to cancel as well. That is another cruise.

We are looking very careful now on which ports we embark from. Gas is expensive but still cheaper than air for now.

I know the airlines are having to do what it takes to stay afloat and I believe they are going to hike the prices to vacation destinations.

Guest carlogesualdo
So far airfare out of Newark to San Juan is cheaper then to Florida.....Then again the Cruises out of Nj and Ny are about $250.00 more ....I'll pay to Fly and Enjoy my Vacation......

I think I'd book one out of Bayonne and skip the airfare altogether, unless for some wild reason the combination of air and cruise from Florida was less than cruising from somewhere closer to home...

I too cancelled my San Juan departure cruise for 11/08 due to high airfares from San Diego. But, I rebooked the same cruise in March 09 because I found the airfares were better. Not sure why or if it was just because I had pushed the date out further and was able to get a bigger discount as a result? You might look at another date if your heart is set on that itinerary.

$2500 airfare I would probably have to cancel as well. That is another cruise.

We are looking very careful now on which ports we embark from. Gas is expensive but still cheaper than air for now.

I know the airlines are having to do what it takes to stay afloat and I believe they are going to hike the prices to vacation destinations.

If they do that too much people will stop flying for fun, if they haven't already :( Since with the baggage restrictions they are already encouraging us not to fly to vacations and only for short trips. Why not charge people to carry on and free to check bags?

That said, I am very nervous about next summer. I like to vacation with my sister but she is from Arizona and I'm from Ohio...it's not feasible any way but flying.

We're keeping our Legend booked because Tampa is driving distance from us, about 7 hours.

We did have the Spirit booked for June of 09. The cruise left Anchorage and finished up in Vancouver. The air was outrageous and i refused to pay it. It would without a doubt have been more or at least as much as the cruise.

We decided to cancel it and try RCI, rount trip from and back to Seattle. Air right now for a month or two before that sail date is about $480. The RT from Atlanta to Anchorage and out of Vancouver was going to run us about $900 +

Instead of cancelling it just try to find something within your reach as far as driving distance, we did and it worked out very well.

We decided to cancel it and try RCI, rount trip from and back to Seattle. Air right now for a month or two before that sail date is about $480. The RT from Atlanta to Anchorage and out of Vancouver was going to run us about $900 +

When we did that cruise we got a Carnival transfer from the dock in Vancouver to the Seattle airport. I don't remember the cost, but it was very reasonable, and the airfare from Seattle was much less than from Vancouver.

I have to book for 5 of us when we cruise. I try to drive as much as I can to the port. I looked at air from NJ to Tampa for January. Its $1,314 for 5 of us round trip. I can drive it for around $200 each way. We are going to drive. If it were just my wife and I we would fly.

Archived