CB problems....How long has it been going on?

Kathy130

I'm sailing on the 7/19 cruise, my first one with Princess. After reading some of the threads about the current engine problems, I'm curious as to how long it's been going on. Did May cruisers face it? All of June? I understand no one knows the exact problem and that it might not be fixed until drydock in January.

I'm sailing on the 7/19 cruise, my first one with Princess. After reading some of the threads about the current engine problems, I'm curious as to how long it's been going on. Did May cruisers face it? All of June? I understand no one knows the exact problem and that it might not be fixed until drydock in January.

Guess it started with the last cruise? We cruised 5/17 and it was near perfect!:)

We were on the 5/26 cruise and there were no problems. Made all ports on time (despite leaving late from NY) and never heard of any other problems like "hot spots" on board.

Not sure what the "that you were aware of???" comment is supposed to mean. If no cruise passengers were aware of it, then it can't really be termed a "problem" can it?

several CC people on the 6/13 cruise noted there were engine issues leaving grand turk.

Of course all these people's postings are internal to several posts since then. Since that would take a lot of reading to find them, it is probably best to forget it was said and get back to the sky is falling theories. (sarcasm)

I would ignore the CC post in this post again stating there were issues on the 6/13 cruise.(you guessed it sarcasm again)

Any more news this evening? I read more on another thread of concerns from people on the 7/10 cruise, whether or not the current problem would be a much bigger problem in a potential hurricane.

Wow, no offense, but you really seem determined to worry about this!

It's been reported that CB is still able to make 20 knots. If I'm not mistaken 25 knots is about her top speed, and it's unlikely that she makes that very often.

As to the storm, it's extremely doubtful that the ship would be put into a position where she would have to "outrun" the storm. From an online Q&A about cruising and hurricanes:

"Although hurricanes can be quite large and even span may miles, they are very localized storms. Outside the perimeter of the storm the skies are clear and the seas can be surprisingly calm. And even though the winds inside the storm move at incredible speeds, the storms themselves move across the ocean quite slowly on a relatively predictable path and can be tracked for days. The National Hurricane Center in Miami uses highly sophisticated equipment to anticipate the storm’s movement, plus, cruise ships also have state-of-the-art technology to monitor weather conditions. Using this data, it’s easy for the cruise line to make decisions about re-routing the ship’s itinerary."

http://www.cruisecheap.com/hurricanes.asp

Wow, no offense, but you really seem determined to worry about this!

It's been reported that CB is still able to make 20 knots. If I'm not mistaken 25 knots is about her top speed, and it's unlikely that she makes that very often.

As to the storm, it's extremely doubtful that the ship would be put into a position where she would have to "outrun" the storm. From an online Q&A about cruising and hurricanes:

"Although hurricanes can be quite large and even span may miles, they are very localized storms. Outside the perimeter of the storm the skies are clear and the seas can be surprisingly calm. And even though the winds inside the storm move at incredible speeds, the storms themselves move across the ocean quite slowly on a relatively predictable path and can be tracked for days. The National Hurricane Center in Miami uses highly sophisticated equipment to anticipate the storm’s movement, plus, cruise ships also have state-of-the-art technology to monitor weather conditions. Using this data, it’s easy for the cruise line to make decisions about re-routing the ship’s itinerary."

http://www.cruisecheap.com/hurricanes.asp

Seems that there are quite a few upcoming cruisers that are determined to let this situation ruin their cruise before even boarding. :rolleyes:

Seems that there are quite a few upcoming cruisers that are determined to let this situation ruin their cruise before even boarding. :rolleyes:

One thing we have learned over the years. When you book a cruise in the Caribbean during hurricane season, you need to just sit back and stop worrying. The cruise line will take care of you and worrying can't change a thing. You just have to 'go with the flow' and see what happens, as this is something you aren't going to be able to do anything about no matter how much worry effort you put into it. ;)

Well, in the case of my brother, who is a first time cruiser scheduled to sail on the CB on 7/10, it isn't so much that he is letting the situation ruin his cruise, he's nervous.

Think about it from a cruise newbie perspective; you've never been on a ship and then within the last two weeks you read reports of "everyone getting sick", rough seas, an engine/generator down, poor air conditioning, and now a potential hurricane . . .

Well, in the case of my brother, who is a first time cruiser scheduled to sail on the CB on 7/10, it isn't so much that he is letting the situation ruin his cruise, he's nervous.

Think about it from a cruise newbie perspective; you've never been on a ship and then within the last two weeks you read reports of "everyone getting sick", rough seas, an engine/generator down, poor air conditioning, and now a potential hurricane . . .

I sympathize with your brother, I really do. But can't understand why someone who was that afraid of being seasick would book their first cruise during hurricane season????

For all we know it might not be an engine problem.

Starting July 1st Britain Pilots and ships' captains have been ordered to go slow, train drivers have been asked to switch off engines and coast downhill and bus companies are training staff to drive more smoothly in order to cut costs.

Ships typically operate at relatively slow speeds in order to conserve fuel.

I can sympathize. We took our first cruise the day after Hurricane Katrina finished spinning through the FLL area (they had literally just reopened up the airport for flights the day before the cruise, even though most residents and businesses -including hotels- didn't have power). Many passengers among us -including us- felt guilty upon our return for even having arrived safely and having been KEPT safe on the Zuiderdam once we learned what happened once Katrina spun back onto the mainland. If the planes flew the night before during the tail end of a high-category hurricane, HAL also had our best interests in mind the next day. Nonetheless, it was -and IS- natural to be concerned, especially if there are no clear answers from the operator, leading to much speculation.

This situation, while admittedly worrisome to us, is nowhere near what we were thinking back then. If indeed the engine(s) are faulty, I'll trust that Princess wouldn't sacrifice 3000+ pax' safety for making money. If it's uncomfortable in our cabin, we'll summon someone for a repair and keep our fingers crossed. If we miss a port, well... there's no excuse for us not having read the fine print on the contract we signed off on back in March when booking it. But, if the problems result in no food... yeah, someone's going to head overboard. ;)

This is not just a newbie thing, there are veteran cruisers that obscess more then this, however like I said it is OK to worry but come on- if it bothers him that much he probably needs to stay on land.

As I have said many times, take what you read here with a grain of salt.

It is like watching the news reading the newspaper everyday, nothing but negitive reports death/war/plumeting economy etc etc etc.

Weigh the good with the bad. In this case the good far outweighs the bad. :rolleyes:

Princess runs a safe operation.

We are on the CB in August and our itinerary has already been changed, so whatever the cause, Princess is planning on it being around for a while. Although we will still enjoy our cruise, we are disappointed our port time has been cut. We had a choice of other cruises and selected this cruise based largely on the itinerary.

If I found that Princess was making a conscious decision to cut port time in order to save fuel costs, I would be disappointed. I paid a fair price for the trip. I understand the itinerary can be changed for good reason, but cost cutting doesn't fit into my definition of good reason - especially once we have already paid a fuel surcharge.

I know everyone doesn't agree, but this is just my 2 cents. We'll still have fun, but we may have chosen differently if this itinerary had been published originally.

Netta7

We are on the CB in August and our itinerary has already been changed, so whatever the cause, Princess is planning on it being around for a while. Although we will still enjoy our cruise, we are disappointed our port time has been cut. We had a choice of other cruises and selected this cruise based largely on the itinerary.

If I found that Princess was making a conscious decision to cut port time in order to save fuel costs, I would be disappointed. I paid a fair price for the trip. I understand the itinerary can be changed for good reason, but cost cutting doesn't fit into my definition of good reason - especially once we have already paid a fuel surcharge.

I know everyone doesn't agree, but this is just my 2 cents. We'll still have fun, but we may have chosen differently if this itinerary had been published originally.

Netta7 -

I couldn’t have said it better myself!

We are looking forward to our cruise and will do everything we can to make sure we have a good time.

Princess changes the times we are in port and does not give a specific reason. They know the drill, with their current strategy, very few are going to cancel and lose their money. The only way to make an immediate point is to go to the purser and remove the gratuities. (operational decision on our part) If enough people do that they will get the message. At the end of the cruise, pay cash to those that truly deserve it.

Old San Juan closes three hours after getting into port. It takes at least an hour to get the passengers off. That leaves two hours. Corporate America will never change. Real people or good companies are not so vague with information. If I could get my money back I would. I will not sail with another Carnival company again.

Princess changes the times we are in port and does not give a specific reason. They know the drill, with their current strategy, very few are going to cancel and lose their money. The only way to make an immediate point is to go to the purser and remove the gratuities. (operational decision on our part) If enough people do that they will get the message. At the end of the cruise, pay cash to those that truly deserve it.

Old San Juan closes three hours after getting into port. It takes at least an hour to get the passengers off. That leaves two hours. Corporate America will never change. Real people or good companies are not so vague with information. If I could get my money back I would. I will not sail with another Carnival company again.

I am not quite sure how this would help the situation? Why punish hard working employees who have nothing to do with a decision made by corporate?:confused:

This just AMAZES ME ! this is the same post, word for word, that you copy & pasted from your post over on the Thread 'Caribbean Princess July 10 - The Prequel' when MANY people over there disagreed with you, you got in a huff and posted "End of Discussion" and ran over here and reposted it :mad:

Looking for a new audience? :rolleyes:

This will make three posts in a row on this thread from people who have actually been on the ship within the last two weeks. Therefore I think we are fair judges of the ship and her condition.....

Mechanicals happen. Cruise ships are big and complex vessels. Everyone quit your damn whining! And then go take your conspiracy theories somewhere else, preferably Celebrity (and then go cruise on one of their ships with the POD propulsion systems)...

Some Cheese to go with your Whine....

Archived