Top two cruise lines (in your opinion) for Alaska?

Paleochick

My dh and I have cruised several times, but never to Alaska, and usually with kids. My in-laws (both pushing 65) have suddenly decided that they want to take a cruise to Alaska (including a stay in Denali) next month! Because we've cruised before, they have asked us to help them find a) a deal, and b) a great ship/package. Ugh! Please help me. When I go through this process for myself, it takes months and months on Cruise Critic. They are considering 10 days. They love great food.

Which cruise line/port-package do you recommend?

Thank you so much!

Just off a Princess Cruise tour-5 nights on land, 7 cruising Southbound Inside Passage on the Coral Princess-would highly recommend this. Very organized tour, nice lodges, great tour guides, lovely ship, etc. Princess also has an on-board naturalist on the cruise who narrates when ship is at glaciers. A great addition-we learned SO much.

Based on what I read on these boards, I narrowed my search to Princess or Holland America, as having the on-board naturalist was a priority for us.

Good luck!

I just got back from a HAL cruise on the Volendam. It was our first cruise. I had narrowed it down to HAL and Princess because of my research on these boards. Many said these two do Alaska the best. As I have mentioned before, I loved the cruise route the Volendam took. I had a Princess map and the route its ships take was a bit different from the Volendam. The HAL and PRincess ships that depart from Vancouver start off the same along Vancouver Island, however, then they split off. The Volendam went through a much more scenic area. It was called the "small craft" route. I really did not think we would be going through there. The Volendam is a smaller ship (1440) passengers, so I guess that is why it was able to take that route. I thought that route was only for ships of the Cruise West size.

I have no food comparison for you except comments I heard from other passengers. Those who had been on Princess cruises loved the food on the Volendam. I ran into quite a few who said the food on Princess was not very good. They were loving their experience on the Volendam. I ran into one woman who said the food on Celebrity was better. All I can say is that we (five of us traveled together) did thoroughly enjoy this cruise and the food. I am vegetarian and they had a nice option each day for me. The others in my group loved their steaks, pork dishes, fish dishes, etc. Never heard a complaint on any of the food.

Be aware that you might have trouble booking the "best" since you want it for next month. People generally book Alaska far in advance. Also, be sure to check on the availability of flights (and the $$$). I did HAL last year, but am doing Princess this year - based on the land part of the tour - doing the Copper River 6 night land tour out of Anchorage. Be sure to find a tour that offers enough time to do the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali - don't go THAT far and settle of the Natural History Tour.

Be sure to find a tour that offers enough time to do the Tundra Wilderness Tour in Denali - don't go THAT far and settle of the Natural History Tour.

Very Good point. The NHT only goes 17 miles into the park. We only saw a caribou in that 17 miles. The NHT seems to stop a lot at the turnoffs to give the people the "History" part of the tour. They also see video that anyone can see. Definitely pick a land tour that gives you two nights in Denali, or minimally the Tundra Wilderness Tour.

Be aware that you might have trouble booking the "best" since you want it for next month. People generally book Alaska far in advance. Also, be sure to check on the availability of flights (and the $$$).

Tourism is way down in Alaska this year according to our shuttle bus driver. My guess is there will be some good deals and availability. I know that for our cruise, the only options showing available the last two months were for cruise tours. They were really trying to fill those up rather than book cabins for just the cruise.

Great food?? - Go with Regent Seven Seas!! Spectacular, as well as the service.

Food and service are important to a good cruising experience. However, with Alaska the priority should be itinerary and what you can do in ports. (IMHO) I went for those and had a great Alaska experience. Maybe I am the minority, but I went to Alaska for Alaska, not for a cruise experience.

Two words - Holland America. Think it will suit all your needs, and the itineraries it offers are varied and appealing to all. Been seeing some great prices for cruises within the next month or so, find one you want and pounce on it! Oh, and enjoy yourselves! Alaska is spectacular! You won't be sorry!

If ports are important - and while Glacier Bay is technically not a port - it is something that is not to be missed.

We really do enjoy the Princess experience, and they do Alaska very well. They have a very wide array of shore excursion options - if your prefer to do ship sponsored tours rather than indepent touring. Something for everyone, so it makes planning very easy.

Also, with a port intensive, scenery intensive itinerary there is a lot to be said for Anytime Dining which is available on Princess, and on a "last minute" booking, probably the only remaining dining option that is available. We much prefer anytime dining to fixed seating - so it would not be a hardship on us.

I am a serious foodie. My step-son has said I am the best cook ever - gosh, I love that kid!:) I find the food on Princess very good (not excellent, but I don't think most cruise lines are going to get a true excellent on cuisine these days) the vast majority of the time. They usually have 5 dinner entrees on the menu, and also have "always available" entrees if none of the nightly features appeal. If you find yourself booking Princess for your parents, do a search and you will find threads that talk about the favorite foods on Princess - they will be very helpful as guidance for foodie people.

This info is just MHO - but I would truly recommend Princess for Alaska.:D

I go to Alaska to see Alaska, but the OP mentioned the in-laws loved great food, thus the mentioning of Regent. I think anyone who goes, on whichever cruiseline they choose, cannot help but to fall in love with the scenery and wildlife. It is truly amazing!!! The total cruise experience just adds to everything, which is why Regent is always my choice.

Archived