Air Canada cancels our direct flight

cruzincanuck

I booked our flights in early May. Got a great price considering the subsequent fuel surcharges however now Air Canada has cancelled our direct flight from Montreal to Miami. We now have to go via Toronto in mid winter. I now have to hope that the weather cooperates both in Montreal and Toronto.

Has anyone else noticed changes to their own reservations? Any chance that we would be switched back to a direct flight if AC schedules one?

I noticed that there are direct flights to Fort Lauderdale. In your opinion, am I entitled to change my destination to FLL without any additional cost?

A question for on Tronto airport : Since Montreal to Toronto is a domestic flight, will we have to get our luggage to check in again as I believe we will pass US immigration in Toronto? (We have 2 hours between flights)

I plan to call Air Canada however any past experiences or advice would be appreciated.

I booked our flights in early May. Got a great price considering the subsequent fuel surcharges however now Air Canada has cancelled our direct flight from Montreal to Miami. We now have to go via Toronto in mid winter. I now have to hope that the weather cooperates both in Montreal and Toronto.

Has anyone else noticed changes to their own reservations? Any chance that we would be switched back to a direct flight if AC schedules one? Keep your original booking information and immediately call AC if you see a direct flight scheduled although I doubt they will re-introduce a flight for this winter at this time.

I noticed that there are direct flights to Fort Lauderdale. In your opinion, am I entitled to change my destination to FLL without any additional cost? I would call AC and see what they will do for you; I suspect that they would charge you the difference in cost.

A question for on Tronto airport : Since Montreal to Toronto is a domestic flight, will we have to get our luggage to check in again as I believe we will pass US immigration in Toronto? (We have 2 hours between flights)

Yes, you will have to go thru US Immigration in TO and will need to pick up your bags first and then drop them off on the connecting flights belt after you leave the Immigration area. DO make sure your bags are tagged for your final destination when you check in in Montreal.

I plan to call Air Canada however any past experiences or advice would be appreciated.

Calling AC is your best bet but if you don't feel comfortable with the response you get then don't make any changes (all changes cost money) and call again later to see if you get an agent with some better solutions.

Hope it works out for you. Going thru TO in the winter leaves more potential for delays; do hope you are going in the day ahead of your cruise.

Kathy:)

Most airlines will waive penalty if the schedule changes are drastically different from the original one.

MIA and FLL are considered Co-Terminals by many airlines. Therefore, it is definitely worth calling AC to request this change. Have the specific flight information with you and call to request being put on that particular flight.

Good Luck.

I agree with DanJ, however, if you happen to get an agent who is not helpful, don't make a change and call again until you find someone who will go the extra mile. Good luck.......................

If you can't get your flights changed and do have to do this, yes, you do have to collect your luggage off the carousel and then go thru US customs. We have to do this from Winnipeg and if at all possible I avoid it. Last trip we had about 1.5 hrs and nearly missed the plane.

Good luck and I hope you can get back to your direct flight..

I try to avoid going through Toronto, it is a pain to collect your bags. and I don't like the airport. Air Canada has now cancelled the direct Ottawa to FLL route so will be avoiding Air Canada in the future. If we fly United, Delta, USAir or Northwest we can go through US customs in Ottawa, the airport is not very busy and very convenient but we have to change at one of the US airports.

Thanks all for the advice. Just called Air Canada and I have 2 options: full reimbursement or I can change to the FLL route but I must pay the difference between the cost of the FLL segment and what I paid in May + fuel surcharges ($211.00i in total) extra per passenger, Not quite the answer I was expecting

So I will see if I can direct flights for less with another carrier and see if I can transfer my flight cancellation insurance.

So I will see if I can direct flights for less with another carrier and see if I can transfer my flight cancellation insurance.

Be sure to use the correct terminology....you want a NON-STOP flight. A "direct flight" may have intermediate stops, but with no change of flight number. If you want a non-stop, your only option from YUL to MIA is on American. You've already found the only non-stop YUL to FLL; the AC flight that will cost you more.

Otherwise, you will be making a stop/connection somewhere along the line. Take your choice....to MIA it's either United through ORD or IAD, Delta through JFK or ATL, US Airways through PHL or CLT, Northwest through DTW, or Continental through EWR. Any airports you particularly like?? (At least with UA or US, you could credit the miles to Aeroplan).

I try to avoid going through Toronto, it is a pain to collect your bags. and I don't like the airport. Air Canada has now cancelled the direct Ottawa to FLL route so will be avoiding Air Canada in the future. If we fly United, Delta, USAir or Northwest we can go through US customs in Ottawa, the airport is not very busy and very convenient but we have to change at one of the US airports.

Sad isn't it -- the country's capital and we can't "get there from here" w/out the freakin' connections via TO!! Ottawa builds a new airport, w/US Customs etc., and good old AC doesn't want to play!

For my Jewel cruise last Dec, the direct Ott-FLL wasn't offered yet as I was a week earlier than when they put it on. Had to fly Ott - TO - FLL. Like others, had about 1 1/2 from arrival to departure --- they don't tell you though that you have to walk a gazillion miles to get to the US departure/pick-up bag area. Then I still had to wait approx. 15 more minutes for my bag to arrive on the carousel. What I found very strange, was that there was No One around (like security or any type of airport personnel if you had any question). Bag comes off, head to Customs, then toss your bag into some black hole and hope it goes where you're going!

This time, I asked RCCL for a US carrier so I could clear in Ottawa en-route to Tampa. That too has now become a nightmare with them cancelling flights or changing times. (Originally was to fly Ottawa - Cleveland - Tampa but Continental has cancelled flights to/from Ottawa/Cleveland. Now via Newark and within 2 days the flight from Newark to Tampa has moved from 9 to almost 11.

AC cancelling their Ottawa/Orlando this fall also doesn't make sense - they always seem booked to capacity.

Sorry for the rant!

Sad isn't it -- the country's capital and we can't "get there from here" w/out the freakin' connections via TO!! Ottawa builds a new airport, w/US Customs etc., and good old AC doesn't want to play!

For my Jewel cruise last Dec, the direct Ott-FLL wasn't offered yet as I was a week earlier than when they put it on. Had to fly Ott - TO - FLL. Like others, had about 1 1/2 from arrival to departure --- they don't tell you though that you have to walk a gazillion miles to get to the US departure/pick-up bag area. Then I still had to wait approx. 15 more minutes for my bag to arrive on the carousel. What I found very strange, was that there was No One around (like security or any type of airport personnel if you had any question). Bag comes off, head to Customs, then toss your bag into some black hole and hope it goes where you're going!

This time, I asked RCCL for a US carrier so I could clear in Ottawa en-route to Tampa. That too has now become a nightmare with them cancelling flights or changing times. (Originally was to fly Ottawa - Cleveland - Tampa but Continental has cancelled flights to/from Ottawa/Cleveland. Now via Newark and within 2 days the flight from Newark to Tampa has moved from 9 to almost 11.

AC cancelling their Ottawa/Orlando this fall also doesn't make sense - they always seem booked to capacity.

Sorry for the rant!

I am so with you!!! We fly to Florida every winter to go to Naples so usually went with a US carrier and used a limo/taxi service to get to our home ($70). Decided after a couple of years it would be cheaper to rent a car. Then decided why not take a direct flight to FLL, rent the car and drive to Naples... saving us over 3 hours in transit. Left Ottawa for FLL (so pleased with ourselves); suppose to land at 6:30......... plane was diverted to Tampa, finally landed in FLL at 10:00 and reached our home close to midnight. Our only chance at a direct flight and Murphy's law hit!

Fingers crossed that Ottawa still has the non-stop flight to Frankfurt next summer.

Kathy

Sorry for the rant!

It's not booked to capacity that matters now, it's how much those people are willing to pay. All airlines are finding that people flying to Florida aren't willing to pay for it. A recent article on Air Canada's route cuts said that a typical 3 hour flight in an A320 now costs them about $230 per person for fuel alone. Wages, maintenance, cost of aircraft financing, taxes and fees, let alone any expected profit margin are all on top of that.

When you are talking almost $500 in fuel for a round trip flight, how full is that plane going to be when they need to charge $1000 round trip to Florida? They'd rather park the plane and lay off staff than fly it at a loss now, if they don't have routes to re-deploy on that will make the money.

It's not booked to capacity that matters now, it's how much those people are willing to pay. All airlines are finding that people flying to Florida aren't willing to pay for it. A recent article on Air Canada's route cuts said that a typical 3 hour flight in an A320 now costs them about $230 per person for fuel alone. Wages, maintenance, cost of aircraft financing, taxes and fees, let alone any expected profit margin are all on top of that.

When you are talking almost $500 in fuel for a round trip flight, how full is that plane going to be when they need to charge $1000 round trip to Florida? They'd rather park the plane and lay off staff than fly it at a loss now, if they don't have routes to re-deploy on that will make the money.

Nice point Dan -- with that formula ($230/passenger for any 3 hour flight) then where will they still fly to? They won't be making money on any flight -- even domestic. But my point was more -- why are the cancelling the Direct Flights from Ottawa to Orlanda; Montreal to Miami and routing us all to Toronto? What makes it "cheaper" -- extra fuel for a connecting flight, extra crew, extra maintenance -- for them to fly the Direct flights out of Toronto?

Hey, I'm not willing to pay close to $1300 on AC to fly direct to Vancouver for my Alaska cruise next year. A couple coming from London, UK is booked (Air Canada) and has already done their air -- the cost for one ticket was just over 475pounds, at a 2 to 1 ratio that's approx. $950Cdn -- go figure.

Thanks all for the advice. Just called Air Canada and I have 2 options: full reimbursement or I can change to the FLL route but I must pay the difference between the cost of the FLL segment and what I paid in May + fuel surcharges ($211.00i in total) extra per passenger, Not quite the answer I was expecting

Why not try driving or busing to Burlington Vermont and taking a flight with one stop for $375 USD return?

We're driving to Seattle from Vancouver this November and saving $1000 each on our flight to Fort Lauderdale.

But my point was more -- why are the cancelling the Direct Flights from Ottawa to Orlanda; Montreal to Miami and routing us all to Toronto? What makes it "cheaper" -- extra fuel for a connecting flight, extra crew, extra maintenance -- for them to fly the Direct flights out of Toronto?

Because that flight from Toronto is going regardless so instead of sending planes to Florida from Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto, now they just have to send the one from Toronto. There's no extra cost at all, they're not adding extra flights from Toronto, just keeping the one's that they have.

Well I cancelled my booking with Air Canada and will now be flying with American Airlines. They have a direct flight from Montreal to Miami return with decent flight times. The plus side is that I also saved $310.00 off our 2 fares including trip insurance.

Now I can only hope that American Airlines keeps changes to a minimum.

Well I cancelled my booking with Air Canada and will now be flying with American Airlines. They have a direct flight from Montreal to Miami return with decent flight times. The plus side is that I also saved $310.00 off our 2 fares including trip insurance.

Monitor your flights at least weekly by pulling up your reservation at least weekly. I recommend you sign up for their frequent flyer program (if you haven't already) and adding that number to your reservation as it will increase the likelihood of you getting an immediate email if there is a schedule change. One thing I do like about AA's website, is if you pull up a reservation and there has been a schedule change, they put a huge notification in bold red letters at the top telling you that there has been a schedule change on your itinerary.

As WRP96 said, watch those flights like a hawk

Because that flight from Toronto is going regardless so instead of sending planes to Florida from Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto, now they just have to send the one from Toronto. There's no extra cost at all, they're not adding extra flights from Toronto, just keeping the one's that they have.

Bingo, it's all about reducing capacity, because of this simple formula:

Less Flights = Higher Demand = Higher Prices

the flights from Toronto to Montreal are flying anyways, the flights from Toronto to Ottawa are flying anyways, and the flights from Toronto to Anywhere are flying anyways. It's not costing them any extra to make you connect in Toronto..... but they're saving money cause they don't need to run the flights from Ottawa or Montreal to Florida. Plus it also indirectly helps the competition because the airlines like American and WestJet flying the routes from Montreal to Florida will sell more tickets, which helps the entire airline industry as a whole, increasing consumer confidence in the financial situation of the airlines, making them more likely to spend on tickets.

I understand, but if it is "all about trying to recover costs and make money" the whole thing about it costs XXX to fly a plane 3 hours, etc., etc. doesn't make sense if those planes from TO aren't full -- regardless if it is a 12 month of the year plane. Yes, the flights in question for Ottawa and Montreal maybe seasonal based, but they're not empty. Most likely these travellers are not going to fly a round-about route to get from Ottawa or Montreal to Miami, FLL, or Tampa -- especially in the winter months. You can still face weather problems w/out the TO factor, but your chances are significantly higher if you're not flying from OT or MTL to TO (where there might only be one AC flight a day to Miami, FLL or Tampa so if you're stranded or late you're toast) If you fly a US carrier, you normally get to their hub (if not direct) which possibly gives you a lot more options if you're late). Is there a risk flying w/a US-based carrier? Sure there is, especially now. But as the OP has posted, saving money, and better flight times is sometimes worth the gamble. Sometimes it's just all about the convenience -- clear customs in your own airport, bag and you go on their way. If you have to connect, you just keep going on your way. You don't have to check your bag, claim your bag, walk, wait, wait, wait, claim your bag, check your bag, go to your gate and hope like crazy you made it in time.

Bingo, it's all about reducing capacity, because of this simple formula:

Less Flights = Higher Demand = Higher Prices

the flights from Toronto to Montreal are flying anyways, the flights from Toronto to Ottawa are flying anyways, and the flights from Toronto to Anywhere are flying anyways. It's not costing them any extra to make you connect in Toronto..... but they're saving money cause they don't need to run the flights from Ottawa or Montreal to Florida. Plus it also indirectly helps the competition because the airlines like American and WestJet flying the routes from Montreal to Florida will sell more tickets, which helps the entire airline industry as a whole, increasing consumer confidence in the financial situation of the airlines, making them more likely to spend on tickets.

For the most part, I'll let someone else comment on this, I will say for How Long? How Long do you think AC will continue to fly To to Mtl or vice versa "anyways" or from To to Ott "anyways" before they start cancelling some of these flights too? WestJet -- only flies to Tampa from Ot or Mtl.

For the most part, I'll let someone else comment on this, I will say for How Long? How Long do you think AC will continue to fly To to Mtl or vice versa "anyways" or from To to Ott "anyways" before they start cancelling some of these flights too? WestJet -- only flies to Tampa from Ot or Mtl.

AC will be flying the YYZ-YUL run until Quebec decides to leave the Confederation....and maybe after that as well. Those are the two largest business centers (or centres) of Canada, and the demand is there. The need for frequency is there as well.

As for WestJet, they fly from YOW and YUL for one reason. They don't chose to go head to head with AC out of YYZ on the route to TPA. Simple case of having their own niche and avoiding the fortress hub at YYZ whenever possible. In a similar vein, you don't see Southwest at Atlanta or Charlotte or Minneapolis or Memphis, do you??

For those of you living in Montreal/Ottawa corridor, this airport may be more to your liking.

Yes I've already checked into this - direct Plattsburgh NY to Fort Lauderdale and FREE Parking at Plattsburgh airport! We are just waiting for the winter schedule to be published.

Archived