Itinerary to NYC from FL?

Mooguy

I have often wondered why no line offers a 7 or 8 night sailing out of a Florida port that would go to NYC for a 24-36 hour stop and then on to Canada or a quick stop in the Bahamas. Could possibly make another quick stop along the East coast too.

I think about four or five years back NCL or one of them had a single cruise that did this and it sold out quickly. Think about how many Floridians would love to go to NYC and catch a play or see the sights but do not want to fly or spend the big $$$ for the NYC hotels.

I have often wondered why no line offers a 7 or 8 night sailing out of a Florida port that would go to NYC for a 24-36 hour stop and then on to Canada or a quick stop in the Bahamas. Could possibly make another quick stop along the East coast too.

I think about four or five years back NCL or one of them had a single cruise that did this and it sold out quickly. Think about how many Floridians would love to go to NYC and catch a play or see the sights but do not want to fly or spend the big $$$ for the NYC hotels.

It takes 42 hours at full speed to make this run between Florida the Miami Fort lauderdale, west palm(where the population sites are) and NY City. Its another day at least to Canada, So you have 6 full days just at sea to make it from Florida to Canada, so that is pretty much out for a 7-8 day cruise with any reasonable stops at all- not 36 hours in NYC. You are probably right they could do it with a stop in the Bahamas. NCL does it with a stop in Port Canaveral and the Bahamas and NY and makes a lot of money on the shore excrusions which they probably wouldn't get in NYC(people would make their own arrangements), but I don't think the demand is there. Poeple tend to go to warmenr climes....

The US Flagged Ferry from NY to Florida and return(with cars) failed as well.....

Well I don't think this could be a year round intenary or even a seasonal one but I think it would add a liitle interest to things if they through it in once a year maybe. NCL and maybe even MSC & Costa do a cruise to Bermuda out of Ft. Lauderdale every so often.

I am thinking the one that went to NYC a few years back left out of Port Canaveral.

Unfortunately, neither the Bahamas nor Canada are considered to be distant, foreign ports. As such, the proposed itinerary would still be considered a violation of existing cabotage laws.

Unfortunately, neither the Bahamas nor Canada are considered to be distant, foreign ports. As such, the proposed itinerary would still be considered a violation of existing cabotage laws.

I think that is wrong. Many Alaska cruises stop in Victoria for a short few hours to get around this. This itenary has beeen done in the past too.

Probably the way to do it would be 7 days northbound and then 7 days southbound with stop either way in bermuda or Canada.

Problem is whether there is a big enough market and fuel consumption.

Probably the way to do it would be 7 days northbound and then 7 days southbound with stop either way in bermuda or Canada.

Problem is whether there is a big enough market and fuel consumption.

To have a one-way cruise it would have to end in Canada. You wouldn't be able to board in Florida and end the cruise in NY unless you visit a distant foreign port without violating the PVSA. The nearest distant foreign ports are the ABC islands or South America.

Foreign flagged cruise ships (nearly all cruise ships) cannot carry passengers from one US city to another. The cruise you are talking about would have to be one way. It could go from Miami to a Canadian port, such as Halifax or Montreal. However, then there would be little time to stop in any ports.

I think that is wrong. Many Alaska cruises stop in Victoria for a short few hours to get around this. This itenary has beeen done in the past too.

As long as they begin and end in the same US port(with at least one foreign port in between) or end or begin in Canada its OK.... I think the OP was asking about a round trip not a one way....

If you just want to sail from NYC to FLL there are smaller cruise lines that do it using the intracoastal waterway. American Cruise Line is one, American Caribbean Cruise Line another. Very small ships with few passengers, all older folk. They stop in ports not visited by other cruise ships, like Savannah. EM

If you just want to sail from NYC to FLL there are smaller cruise lines that do it using the intracoastal waterway. American Cruise Line is one, American Caribbean Cruise Line another. Very small ships with few passengers, all older folk. They stop in ports not visited by other cruise ships, like Savannah. EM

Read the original post. Thanks for the information though.

Archived