domestic flights in Australia

pinguinjo

In November we will be in Australia and need two domestic flights, one before and one after our cruise to the Great Barrier Reef. I asked my travelagent to book this flights, but the prices are much higher than when I do it myself on the internet. We have to pay the travelagent also a fee of euro 35 p.p.

I told her that I would do it myself and then she warned me to take extra time because it can be possible that they (Virgin or Qantas) put you on another flight, even on another day. Is this true? We want to fly from Melbourne to Sydney on November 11th in the morning. Our ship departs at 8.30 pm.

Do you think we have to take a flight on November 10th? Which company is the best to fly with, Virgin or Qantas? Thanks. Joyce

Have you considered Jetstar, they are a low cost reliable airline. My daughter is going to Uni in Australia and uses Jetstar quite a bit for internal flights. On our last trip to Australia we used VirginBlue to Cairns from Sydney, we made our own booking on-line and the prices were really good.

I asked my travelagent to book this flights, but the prices are much higher than when I do it myself on the internet. We have to pay the travelagent also a fee of euro 35 p.p.
You are better off doing it yourself on the Internet, directly with the airlines concerned. The reason is that the cheapest fares are only available for sale within Australia and the South Pacific. If your local travel agent books for you, they can only book a fare which can be sold in your locality (Europe in your case), and will not include the cheapest fares. But if you book directly with the airline on their website, this counts as a sale within Australia so you can get the cheaper fares. There should be no problem using a non-Australian credit card to book either with Qantas or with Virgin Blue - I have done both.
I told her that I would do it myself and then she warned me to take extra time because it can be possible that they (Virgin or Qantas) put you on another flight, even on another day. Is this true?
No, except in extraordinary circumstances (eg very bad weather meaning that lots of flights are cancelled).

And it would be no different if your travel agent booked it for you.

If your travel agent is telling you this to try to get you to book the more expensive ticket through them rather than booking it yourself on the Internet, you need a new travel agent. You do not need a travel agent who is deliberately lying to you.

We want to fly from Melbourne to Sydney on November 11th in the morning. Our ship departs at 8.30 pm.

Do you think we have to take a flight on November 10th?

In my view, no. 11 November is a Tuesday. On weekdays, Qantas has a flight every 30 minutes during most of the day, and more frequent flights than that (ie every 15 minutes) at peak hours. Although one could never rule out a dire emergency, eg one of the airports being closed for 24 hours because of an accident, things would have to get that disastrously bad to stop you getting to the ship in time for an 8.30 pm sailing on the same day.
Which company is the best to fly with, Virgin or Qantas?
Personally, I would choose Qantas if the price was similar. There is always some refreshment served during the flight, whereas Virgin Blue is buy-on-board. But frankly, it's a short bus trip whichever company you fly with.

Have you considered Jetstar, they are a low cost reliable airline.
In comparison to Qantas and Virgin Blue, Jetstar can be a pretty miserable experience.

But if pinguinjo is really needing a flight from Melbourne to Sydney, then it's academic really, because Jetstar doesn't fly that route.

Jetstar does fly from Avalon to Sydney, but Avalon is quite a long way from Melbourne.

I would advise either Qantas or Virgin Blue. Both airlines are reliable - Jetstar mostly uses Avalon airport (55 km south west of Melbourne) but does have some flights (one a day) from Tullamarine International Terminal to Sydney. If you do not check in at least 30 minutes before the scheduled departure time you will (definitely - no buts) lose your booking and this may mean purchasing another ticket as the cheap ones are non refundable, so I would not generally advise them.

Virgin Blue is generally cheaper than Qantas - you do have to purchase any snacks on it but the quality of Qantas food is somewhat underwhelming on these short flights. The flights to Sydney are very regular so it is fine to fly on the day of the cruise. Leave yourself enough time to get from the airport to the passenger terminal. Taxi is easiest and not very expensive. Sydney is a great city so if you are nervous, a day spent there is not wasted.

The 11th November is Remembrance Day here so there may be a minute's silence at 11 am to signify the end of WW1, but it is not a public holiday and everything will be operating as usual.

Jetstar mostly uses Avalon airport (55 km south west of Melbourne) but does have some flights (one a day) from Tullamarine International Terminal to Sydney.
I had a closer look: you're right, there are some Melbourne to Sydney flights, but actually it's only two a week. Otherwise, it's all Avalon to Sydney.

My mistake -the days I looked at there were one a day to Sydney - I must have got the days that did have the flights! Anyway, I agree; I would not suggest them. Presumably they are the flights either coming in from O'S and going on to Sydney or going on, as international flights are not allowed to take domestic passengers.

In November we will be in Australia and need two domestic flights, one before and one after our cruise to the Great Barrier Reef. I asked my travelagent to book this flights, but the prices are much higher than when I do it myself on the internet. We have to pay the travelagent also a fee of euro 35 p.p.

I told her that I would do it myself and then she warned me to take extra time because it can be possible that they (Virgin or Qantas) put you on another flight, even on another day. Is this true? We want to fly from Melbourne to Sydney on November 11th in the morning. Our ship departs at 8.30 pm.

Do you think we have to take a flight on November 10th? Which company is the best to fly with, Virgin or Qantas? Thanks. Joyce

Are you flying Qantas to and from Australia? If so, they do have a program called the Aussie Air Pass that allows you to add domestic segments at a great value. If not, use Qantas or Virgin Blue. As stated by another poster, the MEL - SYD flights are all day about every 30 minutes or so. That's what we are using later this week. I booked them all from home online and got the best web fare. Just be sure to be there or make your changes at least 24 hours ahead if you book the low cost non-refundable fares. I also found that QF had a better baggage allowance than Virgin and we have been able to take earlier flights on QF when they had space available. The check-in agents were very friendly and helpful. When my daughter's suitcase ended up in Cairns instead of Melbourne, they quickly identified the error and had the bag at our room by 9 AM the next morning. While it is never fun to lose a bag, this happened on a connecting flight through Brisbane, and as I said, they promptly corrected at their cost with the courier delivery service.

The airlines do add a nominal credit card fee so try to book your flights together and you may save a couple of dollars as well. Good luck and enjoy your holiday and cruise.

If so, they do have a program called the Aussie Air Pass that allows you to add domestic segments at a great value.
This is a good idea to look at, but IIRC it won't necessarily be better than buying the domestics separately. At sale times (for notification of which it's worth signing up for emails from the airlines) Melbourne to Sydney can often be had for about AUD 100 all-inclusive - though it may be a little more now after the latest round of fuel surcharge increases.

Joyce, something else to consider (if you are patient!!!) and I'm not sure about the time difference but everyday between 12midday and 1 pm Virgin Blue has a "happy hour" this is when I am often able to get cheaper flights eg I booked a flight Syd-Brisbane for $59 on the weekend which is a good saving particularly when purchasing 4 tickets! They have around 8-12 or so specials which can be any destination (they fly to) and time period so it really is a little luck but may be worth your while looking at ...... I would also sign up to receive emails from Jetstar, Qantas and Virgin - that way you will also get their regular specials - although I do agree with other posters re travelling from Avalon - depending upon your transport may cost you quite a bit more in taxi fares!

Jane

Thanks so much to all of you. We fly with Malaysia Airlines, not with Qantas. So I can't use the Aussie Air pass. I will book with Qantas or Virgin Blue. The last one is cheaper, I noticed. But it is a good idea to be a little patient and try to get special prices. I will sign up for the e-mails!

Time difference is 8 hours to Melbourne, so it will be 4.00 am in our country. Maybe when I can't sleep one night!

Thanks again. Joyce:)

The last one is cheaper, I noticed.
At the moment, I can see about AUD 20 difference, after you take into account the credit card fees ($117+6.60 on Qantas, $99+3.00 on Virgin Blue).

Don't forget to assess for yourself whether the difference in service levels between them is worth $20. You could easily lose a decent part of the difference by having to spend money on in-flight refreshment on Virgin Blue, for example.

Unless you are travelling light, you should compare the luggage entitlements, as the airlines have different charges for heavier/extra luggage.

I could find the luggage entitlement for Qantas. This will be one piece of 20 kg and I hope we can carry handluggage too. For Virgin I couldn't find the entitlement. We are flying from Europe and we can carry only 20 kg in one suitcase, so 20 kg has to be enough. Do you know how much we can carry with Virgin? If Qantas is better, 20 AUD more won't be any problem ofcourse.

At the moment, I can see about AUD 20 difference, after you take into account the credit card fees ($117+6.60 on Qantas, $99+3.00 on Virgin Blue).

Don't forget to assess for yourself whether the difference in service levels between them is worth $20. You could easily lose a decent part of the difference by having to spend money on in-flight refreshment on Virgin Blue, for example.

Thanks. Do you think Qantas is much better in service? 20 AUD isn't a problem.

Hand luggage, Qantas

http://www.qantas.com.au/info/flying/beforeYouTravel/baggageCarryOn#jump0

Hand luggage, Virgin

http://www.virginblue.com.au/Personal/Flightinfo/Baggagedangerousgoods/Baggage/Baggageallowanceexcessbaggage/index.htm

Luggage wise you'll be fine with either Qantas or Virgin. It is only if you have excess baggage that Qantas is better, as it charges a flat rate for the extra piece, versus Virgin charges a higher weight rate.

I don't think Qantas service is better than Virgin. I am a frequent flyer member of both airlines and find both excellent, especially compared to some overseas airlines. Qantas provides a light snack, which I like, but it is not worth an extra $20 pp. When the prices are closer, Qantas is my first preference.

I could find the luggage entitlement for Qantas. This will be one piece of 20 kg and I hope we can carry handluggage too. For Virgin I couldn't find the entitlement. We are flying from Europe and we can carry only 20 kg in one suitcase, so 20 kg has to be enough. Do you know how much we can carry with Virgin? If Qantas is better, 20 AUD more won't be any problem ofcourse.

http://www.virginblue.com.au/Personal/Flightinfo/Baggagedangerousgoods/Baggage/Baggageallowanceexcessbaggage/index.htm

Thanks. Do you think Qantas is much better in service? 20 AUD isn't a problem.

Then personally I would fly with Qantas - snack, inflight entertainment and frequent flyer points:)

Jane

Just a point about the happy hour when flights are on at a big discount. Not all flights to all places are posted on any one day's happy hour, there are usually only a few and the flight dates are well into the future. If you are interested in these flights you will need to check each day looking for when the Sydney Melbourne flights come up.

This was today's "offering" (the formatting hasn't copied but will give you an idea!):

hh_clock.gif

hh_header.gif

Hobart to Adelaide$69^Brisbane to Townsville$79Albury to Gold Coast$85Sydney to Townsville$85Hobart to Townsville$135Canberra to Sunshine Coast$139Melbourne to Townsville$149Canberra to Port Macquarie$159Sydney to Apia (Samoa)$279Brisbane to Apia (Samoa)$299Melbourne to Apia (Samoa)$299Please Note - You must click on the fare details above to access Happy Hour fares. Travel Period: 14/10/2008 - 11/12/2008. ^Direct Flights Only. All fares are subject to availability, are quoted in $AUD and include Taxes and Charges.

For Virgin I couldn't find the entitlement.
Virgin's allowance is 20 kg, compared to Qantas' allowance of 1 piece at 32 kg.

The technical allowance is important, but in working which airline is better value, the attitude to small excesses is also important. What I don't know is how strict Virgin is about how they treat excess baggage.

So, for example, you might eventually find that you're actually 2-3 kg over your 20 kg allowance, but don't get charged on your international flights because the airline exercises discretion - this is very common. You'd be fine on Qantas domestic also, because you're within the allowance - and you don't even have to think about being absolutely strict with your limit.

But if Virgin charges strictly, immediately you exceed 20 kg, then you'd in for an extra $20 straight away (the charge for the first 10 kg of excess) - and then bang goes the money you've saved on the air fare.

Maybe the regular Virgin Blue passengers will know more about this.

Do you think Qantas is much better in service? 20 AUD isn't a problem.
I wouldn't say "much" better, but personally I think that I would normally pay $20 for it, if I were just comparing the two airlines as a an ordinary passenger. I particularly dislike having to pay again for food and drink once I'm onboard, and if I were carrying luggage, I would ascribe some value simply to not having to even think about whether I was going to be over the limit - whether or not I am.

I put it in that way because my actual choice is driven also by receiving frequent flyer privileges and simultaneously earning them, and I have to try to disregard them when putting myself into the shoes of an ordinary passenger.

I too agree that if there is only $20 difference, you may as well travel on the full service QANTAS. If you travel between 12noon and 2pm, you receive lunch and 6pm-8pm HOT dinner. QANTAS also offer free beer and wine after 4pm weekdays as part of their cityflyer service. All other times is a snack, so plan carefully.

It is only a 1 1/2hr flight so it may not matter and there are plenty of food outlets at the domestic airports here (although you'll pay expensive prices).

Be careful if you book a domestic leg of an international flight with QANTAS or Jetstar as they have stricter check-in times (close 1hr prior).

I was looking at a recent "on time performance" of the 3 main airlines and QANTAS was ahead in on-time arrivals by about 2% so really not a lot of difference.

Just remember most internet fares are non-changeable/refundable etc etc.

Happy planning!!

Be careful if you book a domestic leg of an international flight with QANTAS or Jetstar as they have stricter check-in times (close 1hr prior).
oh that's right - had forgotten that - if it is a domestic leg of an international flight you will then leave/arrive from the international terminal!

Archived