classifications of cruise lines

I have seen cruise lines described as mass market, premium, or luxury lines. Does anyone know where celebrity, princess, and msc fall in this classification process?

I have seen cruise lines described as mass market, premium, or luxury lines. Does anyone know where celebrity, princess, and msc fall in this classification process?

MASS MARKET...

NCL, Royal, Carnival, MSC, Costa

PREMIUM

Celebrity, Princess, Holland America

LUXURY

Oceania, Azamara, Windstar, Regent, Seabourn, Cunard, Crystal, SilverSea

Niche

Disney, Cruise West,

MASS MARKET...

NCL, Royal, Carnival, MSC, Costa

PREMIUM

Celebrity, Princess, Holland America

LUXURY

Oceania, Azamara, Windstar, Regent, Seabourn, Cunard, Crystal, SilverSea

Niche

Disney, Cruise West,

I would not say that Oceania , Azamara & Windstar are Luxury more of upper premium or deluxe

I sail Princess and once in awhile Celebrity and I would say that they are mass market, ma be a premium line but they are still mass market.

marilyn

Certain cruise lines seem to move from one classification to another , depending on who is doing the rating. I have seen Royal Caribbean listed as both Mass Market and Premium. Same for Princess and Celebrity.

The Chuck Hawks guy is wrong. He writes a lot of words but to put Princess in the same category as Silversea, Crystal or Regent is completely uninformed.

Celebrity, Princess HAL, --All Mass Market along with Costa, NCL, Royal Caribbean and Carnival, among others.

Oceana, Azamara, a couple others are Premium

Seabourne, Crystal, Silversea, Regent and a couple of very small lines could be put in the Luxury category.

The simplest way to seperate this out is by price. Pick your itinerary and then check what the various cruise lines offer.

For the Carribean I think you can find it falls into three buckets

Lower Price = Mass market

Medium Price = Premium

Expensive = Luxury

YMMV and for many what is offered say on Disney or Crystal for the extra $$$ may actually not end resulting in more enjoyable cruise for the Carinval or RCI repeaters. There is nothing wrong with the mass marketers they certainly offer something of value that is appreciated and enjoyed by many including me :D

The Chuck Hawks guy is wrong. He writes a lot of words but to put Princess in the same category as Silversea, Crystal or Regent is completely uninformed.

Celebrity, Princess HAL, --All Mass Market along with Costa, NCL, Royal Caribbean and Carnival, among others.

Seabourne, Crystal, Silversea, Regent and a couple of very small lines could be put in the Luxury category.

In my opinion, you've nailed it..........!!!

Some cruise lines -- e.g., Celebrity & HAL -- may advertise themselves (by themselves) as premium lines; however, "mass market" categorizes them best.

I too think that you nailed it. There are some on the higher end of mass market, but not truly premium.

MAC

I sail Princess and once in awhile Celebrity and I would say that they are mass market, ma be a premium line but they are still mass market.

marilyn

I know Celebrity and HAL both classify themselves as premuim lines.

Princess? At one time but no more-Princess is between Carnival and HAL. Princess is NOT a premuim line.

I will get some flames, but cannot resist taking a stab at this question. After cruising on more than 50 different ships or 11 cruise lines we have been known to have opinions. The cruise lines all try to classify themselves, but much of that is marketing. And, we have met many cruisers who also try to classify their favorite cruise line, but than we find out that is the only cruise line they have ever cruised. So here is my take. Almost all the major cruise lines that are discussed here including RCI, HA, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, Azamara (really part of Celebrity), Oceania, etc. fall into a category I would call mass market. Some are a little better than others, but in the end they are all mass market, charge for most amenities on-board, etc etc. Than there are the real permium lines which would include such companies as Silverseas, Seabourn, Regent 7 Seas, and a couple of others that are basically all-inclusive (you generally dont pay for drinks, tips, etc) and have excellent gourmet restaurants. Most of these Premium lines charge $500 - $1000 per passenger day (and more), as opposed to the mass market where you will pay $70 - $250 per passenger day. The one line I could never categorize is Crystal. In many ways they are Premium, but since they still have tipping, charge for drinks, and have 2 seating dining, they just do not quite fit the mold. The thing about Crystal is you get relatively large ship cruising with large cabins, and a very high passenger - space ratio which means you never have to worry about finding a deck chair, wait in lines to eat, etc.

Now I will add some comments about Celebrity and Azamara (Oceania would also fit this category). Celebrity markets itself as RCIs Premium Brand, but we honestly do not think that shoe fits. In fact, we have been on some RCI cruises that we felt were better than any of our Celebrity cruises. As to Azamara, we really like this product. They have taken 2 smaller ships (the same type Renaissance ships used by Oceania and Princess) and tried to make them slightly more high-end than Celebrity. Based on our 18 day cruise on the Journey, we think they suceeded to a great degree. Food on Azamara was very good, and their alternative restaurants were both excellent with Aqualina being as good as anything we have had at sea (including Crystal). The cost of these alternatives is only $5 (that is so silly they should just eliminate the charge), but they are capacity controlled so you do need to get reservations. But, as much as we enjoyed Azamara it would not meet our criteria of a Premium Line. Some might say that Azamara and Oceania should be in their own class (perhaps called Deluxe), but these lines are really for those that want to be on smaller ships that are a bit more personal for a reasonable price.

It occurs to me that I avoided mentioning NCL, and that was quite deliberate. Some might call them budget, some would call them mass market. With that line, I just cannot offer an opinion other than its a line we now avoid.

Hank

I will get some flames, but cannot resist taking a stab at this question. After cruising on more than 50 different ships or 11 cruise lines we have been known to have opinions. The cruise lines all try to classify themselves, but much of that is marketing. And, we have met many cruisers who also try to classify their favorite cruise line, but than we find out that is the only cruise line they have ever cruised. So here is my take. Almost all the major cruise lines that are discussed here including RCI, HA, Celebrity, Princess, Carnival, Azamara (really part of Celebrity), Oceania, etc. fall into a category I would call mass market. Some are a little better than others, but in the end they are all mass market, charge for most amenities on-board, etc etc. Than there are the real permium lines which would include such companies as Silverseas, Seabourn, Regent 7 Seas, and a couple of others that are basically all-inclusive (you generally dont pay for drinks, tips, etc) and have excellent gourmet restaurants. Most of these Premium lines charge $500 - $1000 per passenger day (and more), as opposed to the mass market where you will pay $70 - $250 per passenger day. The one line I could never categorize is Crystal. In many ways they are Premium, but since they still have tipping, charge for drinks, and have 2 seating dining, they just do not quite fit the mold. The thing about Crystal is you get relatively large ship cruising with large cabins, and a very high passenger - space ratio which means you never have to worry about finding a deck chair, wait in lines to eat, etc.

Now I will add some comments about Celebrity and Azamara (Oceania would also fit this category). Celebrity markets itself as RCIs Premium Brand, but we honestly do not think that shoe fits. In fact, we have been on some RCI cruises that we felt were better than any of our Celebrity cruises. As to Azamara, we really like this product. They have taken 2 smaller ships (the same type Renaissance ships used by Oceania and Princess) and tried to make them slightly more high-end than Celebrity. Based on our 18 day cruise on the Journey, we think they suceeded to a great degree. Food on Azamara was very good, and their alternative restaurants were both excellent with Aqualina being as good as anything we have had at sea (including Crystal). The cost of these alternatives is only $5 (that is so silly they should just eliminate the charge), but they are capacity controlled so you do need to get reservations. But, as much as we enjoyed Azamara it would not meet our criteria of a Premium Line. Some might say that Azamara and Oceania should be in their own class (perhaps called Deluxe), but these lines are really for those that want to be on smaller ships that are a bit more personal for a reasonable price.

It occurs to me that I avoided mentioning NCL, and that was quite deliberate. Some might call them budget, some would call them mass market. With that line, I just cannot offer an opinion other than its a line we now avoid.

Hank

Looks like in the end price is the final differentiator!

Wallmart/Target = mass market and affordable by most

Nordstroms/Macys = premium and less affordable by most

Sacks = high end and least affordable to most

Not to say at all you can't get a good experience from Target or "your favorite mass market cruiseline here"

Archived