Harwich to Heathrow transportation?

What type of transportation is available to get from Harwich after the cruise to Heathrow airport. I know I can get cruiseline transfers. But that will be my last choice. Thank you all for your advice.

Isabella

Train station right next to the ship takes you to Liverpool Street Station in London. Once there, you can transfer, by various methods, to Heathrow. It means you need to get across town but this is fairly simple on the Underground although you may wish to consider the amount of luggage you are taking. You can get the Underground directly to Paddington from where you can take the direct rain to Heathrow (all terminals). Alternatively, you can change on the Underground to take a line to Heathrow although this may take longer. Post your preferences, based on budget and luggage for further info.

Train station right next to the ship takes you to Liverpool Street Station in London. Once there, you can transfer, by various methods, to Heathrow. It means you need to get across town but this is fairly simple on the Underground although you may wish to consider the amount of luggage you are taking. You can get the Underground directly to Paddington from where you can take the direct rain to Heathrow (all terminals). Alternatively, you can change on the Underground to take a line to Heathrow although this may take longer. Post your preferences, based on budget and luggage for further info.

Thank you very much. I was hoping for something direct from the cruise terminal to Heathrow. I guess not. We will have at the most 2 - 25 in ( medium) suitcases and 2 med carryons for both of us.

I have done that train journey with similar luggage and managed it OK. You will undoubtedly find taxis at the port any of whom will be willing to take you all the way to Heathrow. It is a long way. Even the train takes 90 minutes just to London. Have a look at this site for pre-booked transfers:-

http://www.adlg.co.uk/harwich_stansted.htm

It seems you can get a car for about $300. By way of comparison, trains, underground, Heathrow Express, etc. are likely to cost about $80 each.

We took the train from Heathrow to Harwich when we arrived and it was no problem since we were spending the night pre-cruise. On the return, the time was a bit tighter and we would have had to change trains at Liverpool Street station and then again on the Tube out to Heathrow. So, we arranged transportation with First Choice Minibus. They were excellent and had the lowest prices. We got a group of 12 together from CC and shared a ride. They were there on time, avoided the traffic and we beat the cruise ship buses to the airport.

Thank you very much. I was hoping for something direct from the cruise terminal to Heathrow. I guess not. We will have at the most 2 - 25 in ( medium) suitcases and 2 med carryons for both of us.

Isabella,

The best and most direct way is to have a chauffeur driven car pick you up at Harwich and drive you straight to Heathrow.No carrying bags ,no hassle.You are on vacation after all.

This is the email for the company that I use in the UK

bookings@jb-chauffeurs.com

I almost always take private transportation from the ship back to the airport. But not on that Harwich trip. It is very far and quite expensive by taxi...unless you have 3 or 4 people traveling. So last May we just took the crusie transfers. Very painless and well organized. We were checked in at Heathrow by 11:00AM.

Our driver was Darren Parsons of Adelphi Executive Hire http://www.adelphiexecutivehire.co.uk/. Not only did he arrive early for both the LHR to Harwich and return trips, but he provided us with a safe, comfortable trip and enjoyable company along the way. All this at a more reasonable cost than the four of us would have paid for the RCCL bus.

Other "cruise critics" have also used his services since I first posted (July '06) and have also been quite happy. Give him an email.

P.S. We already have him scheduled again for 2009!

We used Adelphi (Darren) last month between Heathrow & our hotel in Harwich. He was delightful to deal with; e-mailing often to keep in touch before & a follow up after our cruise. There were 3 of us w/ a good bit of luggage. He came in a mini van; charged us 150 GBP (cash). It was a smooth, easy & worry free transfer.

We did a lot of research before making our choice; & what a good choice it was. Harwich (pronounced HAIR-itch, by the way) is a tiny town; & the Pier Hotel is an ideal respite for a short one night pre-cruise visit. Our room was in the small building next door; & it was charming. The public areas are rich w/ antiques while our rooms were decorated (Scandinavian style) contemporary. The floors creak when you walk; no A/C (windows open w/ no screens); very nice modern bathrooms. This all adds to the charm of the property. Their "front sidewalk" restaurant is a fun place to take in the scenery & watch the busy (industrial port) traffic. Their 2nd floor formal restaurant had fabulous food. Once I got over "sticker shock" (blame it on the poor US exchange rate), the dinner was well worth the price. I believe their menus for both restaurants are on their website. There are quite a few small pubs & restaurants close by for such a small (I'd guess 1 sq. mile total) area. The small pier across the street has a visitor's center, fish market & a few little cafes. Very quaint. Wish we'd had more time to eat in places other than the hotel. It was a very short cab ride to the passenger cruise terminal.

FYI, I know I spotted a Premier Travel Inn halfway between the the little town area & the pier; but location is a little "lackluster". But it would provide an option should the Pier have no rooms available.

More like "HA-rich" ("HA" as in "happy").

Works for me.......

I was pronouncing it like it's spelled until I was matter of factly corrected by a rather surly Passport officer at LHR. Then I heard other passengers pronounce it like I had been all through the cruise. Just wanted to give everyone a head's up before they committed a faux pas.

Thanks, for the reply about Darren. The reason I asked is because he is asking for payment now or at least half-payment, which is non-refundable, for Sept. 2009. I just feel a bit uncomfortable with that since a lot could happen between now and Sept. 2009 and we would be out a chunk of money. He's a very nice guy to deal with, but I don't know about the non-refundable deposit.

Thanks, for the reply about Darren. The reason I asked is because he is asking for payment now or at least half-payment, which is non-refundable, for Sept. 2009. I just feel a bit uncomfortable with that since a lot could happen between now and Sept. 2009 and we would be out a chunk of money. He's a very nice guy to deal with, but I don't know about the non-refundable deposit.

I am totally baffled by this. I made the reservations by e-mail probably 6-7 months in advance; & nothing was ever said about a credit card number or any type of deposit. If it were me, I'd ask him why the deposit is nonrefundable, especially at such an off peak time. And if you are so inclined to tell a little white lie....mention that you have swapped e-mails w/ Becky from Naples, FL & "she never mentioned anything about a deposit". And see what happens.

I did notify Darren and told him that I felt uncomfortable about giving him a non-refundable deposit at this early date. I told him we had not even made airline reservations yet. He said he would pencil me in for next Sept. He said the reason he is asking for a deposit now is because he has had cancellations in the past and lost work. However, a full non-refundable, or even half, is not a good work practice if you ask me. We've been to Europe and had many drivers, just recently in fact, and none of our drivers asked for a deposit, so maybe I will try to find another driver? I'm sure there are other companies that offer transport to Harwich.

Does anyone know how long it would take a private van to get from Central London to Harwich on a Saturday?

How long would it take by private van to get from Harwich to Heathrow on a Saturday?

Of course the amount of time is assuming there are no major accidents on the road.

Trying to decide if I left Central London hotel at 1 PM, whether I would make a 5:00 PM ship departure.

Thanks in advance.

Does anyone know how long it would take a private van to get from Central London to Harwich on a Saturday?

How long would it take by private van to get from Harwich to Heathrow on a Saturday?

Of course the amount of time is assuming there are no major accidents on the road.

Trying to decide if I left Central London hotel at 1 PM, whether I would make a 5:00 PM ship departure.

Thanks in advance.

I have do the Harwich - Heathrow run a few times each year. On a Saturday, I'd say a good run would be about 2 hours 15 minutes or a little over, but I'd allow 3 hours for contingencies.

From Central London it should be slightly quicker depending on where your hotel is. If you have a hotel in the Kensington area its going to take at least 30 minutes longer than a hotel by Tower Bridge

We took Hal transfer and from what we experienced the transfer would be far better than struggling with luggage on the train or the tube. Yes it is a long ride , but you don't have to do it, just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Archived