wine

Scorpiorose

oh :o - what is the cost for alcohol bottles compared to what it costs in the duty free? Is it say "huge" "moderate" "sameish"?

I would say a moderate mark up from what your local liquor store might charge--for us it's not enough difference to mess with trying to smuggle it--I really don't want the clothes in our luggage to be drenched in alcohol;)

There's a price list on HAL's website, on the *gifts* order form

but, we do bring our own wine onboard. We purchase it in Ft. Lauderdale before we board and bring it on with our carry-on luggage.

so....you can pre order alcohol to your cabin before you leave? Great! That would be the way to go!

absolutely. You can order whatever bar setup you wish and they'll have it waiting in your stateroom--sweet, eh?:D

There's a price list on HAL's website, on the *gifts* order form

One problem on the HAL site is that they don't offer many brand choices (or price range) of any type of liquor except Vodka. There used to be a 1/2 dozen choices of Gin, Rye, Scotch, Tequila, etc, but most disappeared 5 or 6 months ago. You might get more choices by calling Ship Services 800-541-1576, but I don't know that for certain.

The download-able/fax-able Gift Order form does not list any hard liquors.

On my Mexican Riviera cruise I pre-ordered a bottle of Bacardi white rum. It was a litre bottle and cost $35 US. This was definately cheaper than I could have bought a bottle of the same for in a local liquor store. For those that might think this expensive (not Canadians--LOL), just think it is as the equivalant of purchsing approximately 6 drinks onboard. I picked up various mixes in San Diego and justed put a luggage tag on it and it was delivered to my cabin. I did order this by calling ships services, they had a much wider selection of brands than posted online.

Also ordered a Bon Voyage bottle of champage for $21 and change. It is supposed to come with streamers and balloons but ours didn't. on the bright side though, as this was purchased through HAL we were free to take it where we wanted to on the ship. We enjoyed it in the Crow's Nest.

Hope this helps and enjoy your cruise.

Rochelle

can you post where you found this? My info still says no beer--just wine, pop and water can be brought on board

I had a note in my VA room on the Zuiderdam in May that beer is ok, hard liquor not, I heard teh same with people on the Noordam

The soda card is $20.70 (including the 15% service charge) for "20 glasses". It is no bargain IMO because a "glass" is about 1/2 can, and it may be the flat 2nd half can left from the last customer. Better to just just buy sodas by the can for $2 plus 15% s.c.

Just because you were allowed to bring beer onto one cruise of the Zuiderdam does NOT necessarily mean it is now "ok" on all ships on all cruises. There has not been any official change in fleet-wide policy yet.

OK on 2 ships, Zuiderdam and Noordam, I guess they have their own 'rules'

Sir PMP--You are the only one who has ever posted about receiving this notice about bringing beer on board, no one has seen a scan of the note or heard any other reports about it, and it's not on the HAL website or in anyone's boarding information. Can't blame us for being a little skeptical.

We pack a case or two of wine and drop it off with the rest of our luggage on the pier. We will bring a bottle or two in our carry-on so we can have drinks on the balcony while watching everyone board (if our cabin is on the boarding side of the ship:D ) For our next cruise, we're going to try the Signature Cocktail card. And the wine card (for dinners) And we might try ordering a bottle of liquor and then bringing some mixers on board with us or picking them up in ports. We're still discussing our "alcohol plan":p .

Sir PMP--You are the only one who has ever posted about receiving this notice about bringing beer on board, no one has seen a scan of the note or heard any other reports about it, and it's not on the HAL website or in anyone's boarding information. Can't blame us for being a little skeptical.

We pack a case or two of wine and drop it off with the rest of our luggage on the pier. We will bring a bottle or two in our carry-on so we can have drinks on the balcony while watching everyone board (if our cabin is on the boarding side of the ship:D ) For our next cruise, we're going to try the Signature Cocktail card. And the wine card (for dinners) And we might try ordering a bottle of liquor and then bringing some mixers on board with us or picking them up in ports. We're still discussing our "alcohol plan":p .

I am bringing a case of wine with me and since so many of you are skeptical, I 'll check out the ship's rule and get my beer later, all I know is that I did a 24 day cruise from venice to barcelona end of april on the Zuiderdam and I brought (other passengers too) almost everyday beer on board and they went straight through the security without a hitch...

I reread the "Know before Your Booklet" that I still have from our last cruise.

And it doesn't mention anything about beer!!

No wonder we are all confused!!

I know it's not on their website, but things can change, I had no problem,and I heard the same from people on the Noordam, maybe there is a change coming, I have complained enough to Seattle that it really is discrimination, wine ok, beer no, why?

[quote name='Scorpiorose']wow - are things really that different ship to ship?[/quote]Unfortunately, yes - there are wide inconsistencies from ship to ship. Another example: some ships allow the wine cards to be used in the Pinnacle Grill, and some do not.
[quote name='Scorpiorose']
jtl513 - thanks for that number, I'll call and see what can be done to order prior. Just Vodka you say? We like Gin.....Run.....hum, I'll have to think about that one![/quote]No, I said - or meant to say - that there's only a wide choice of brands and prices in Vodka. There is [B]one[/B] kind of Scotch, [B]one[/B] kind of Tequila, 5 kinds of Rye, [B]one[/B] Bourbon & Coke package (no brand specified), [B]one[/B] Rum & Coke package (no brand specified), and [B]one[/B] Gin & Tonic package (no brand specified).

[quote name='Sir PMP']I know it's not on their website, but things can change, I had no problem,and I heard the same from people on the Noordam, maybe there is a change coming, I have complained enough to Seattle that it really is discrimination, wine ok, beer no, why?[/quote]
Hi:
I asked ship services about bringing beer onboard..here is their reply:

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial]You are allowed to bring wine, champagne, soda and bottled water onboard. Beer and hard alcohol are not allowed.[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial]Ship Services[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial]Holland[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial] America Line[/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial]1 800 541 1576 [/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hi Scorpiorose, If you are going on the Eurodam cruise (11/22/08) why don't you get on the Roll call for that trip. The Roll Call is a thread for people on a particular cruise. :)

[url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=621006[/url]

[quote name='Windseek']Are we restricted to our cabins with the wine that we bring on board, or can we sit out on the deck and watch the sun go down?[/quote]

The "intent", as I understand it, is that any wine you bring on board is to be consumed in your cabin or is subject to a corkage fee if you consume it elsewhere. If you take opened wine from your cabin to enjoy on a public deck, you might be charged a corkage fee, especially if you ask for wine glasses or an ice bucket (bringing attention to what is going on). I haven't tried it, as I use wines purchased on board.

[quote name='Windseek']Are we restricted to our cabins with the wine that we bring on board, or can we sit out on the deck and watch the sun go down?[/quote]

Well the DW and I have been known to carry an existing glass out of the stateroom but I certainly would not feel comfortable toting a bottle out on deck. JMO

Some problems refered to on the thread are due to the problem:confused: /fact that wine has developed a Mystic over the years, with [I]experts, tasters, publications[I][/I][/I] that enhance the apeal of the product. Beer has been held back due to the fact the brewers have been working all year brewing it!:cool: Wine lovers have been able, with varying degrees of sucess, to be able to bring their favorite brands on board, while beer lovers have had little luck (according to the posts I have read) being even able to get HAL to put a few premium beers on board.:eek:
[COLOR="Red"]Beer needs more PR:D [/COLOR]

Archived