best post-rush time to board AOS?

Hello all - We're regular RCCL cruisers, but are sailing AOS (Aruba route) for the first time with a large group of friends in August. Just about every review I read talks about showing up at the ship between 10 and 12 to board (and in fact I usually arrive fairly early), but nobody talks about arriving later. Is there a "sweet spot" after the initial rush has died down when you can just kind of waltz on? Some of us are Diamond so aren't so worried about the lines, but others are first-timers and we don't want them standing out in the August heat for too long.

Also, some of the group want to tour San Juan in the early afternoon and arrive to the ship a bit later. If all-aboard is at 5:30, does that effectively mean you have to check in by 4 or 4:30? Does anyone know when checkin actually closes?

Thanks!

I just got back Sunday from the AOS Aruba route and we arrived at the cruise terminal between 3:00-3:30pm. We also wanted to tour San Juan before getting on the ship. It only took us about 10-15 min to go through check-in before we got on the ship. It went very smooth, probably the easiest of all the cruises I've been on! Enjoy your cruise!

I would like to know the answer to this, too. We'll have two small children with us and it would be best for us to avoid extensive waiting in line.

We were on the AOS 6/22. SJU is a bit different than other US ports in that people seem to arrive in small groups all the time during the day. Aside from the initial "rush" at 11am, there really isn't a long wait, especially if you have all your paperwork filled out and have printed out your set sail pass. We arrived @ 11:30am and were on board by Noon. It was by far the easiest check in I have ever been in.( and yes I remember the days before computers and the internet when it took 2 hrs to process)

We sailed on 6/22/08 also. We were in line at 11:00 and we were onboard by 11:45. It was fast and smooth!!!! They began letting people in the building about 11:25.

Please note that when you get there, there will be several lines side-by-side (separated by metal railings). The line closest to the buildings is the line for people who have checked their bags. The line next to that one was the first place to go so that you could get your bags checked in. The last line (closest to the street) was for people who had just gotten off the ship who were waiting for taxis. Ask your taxi driver or the porter as soon as you get there if you are confused.

Also, at this time of the morning, it was actually cool standing in the line. One family actually brought McD's to eat while they were waiting! I thought that was funny!!

Karen in Kentucky

Hello all - We're regular RCCL cruisers, but are sailing AOS (Aruba route) for the first time with a large group of friends in August. Just about every review I read talks about showing up at the ship between 10 and 12 to board (and in fact I usually arrive fairly early), but nobody talks about arriving later. Is there a "sweet spot" after the initial rush has died down when you can just kind of waltz on? Some of us are Diamond so aren't so worried about the lines, but others are first-timers and we don't want them standing out in the August heat for too long.

Also, some of the group want to tour San Juan in the early afternoon and arrive to the ship a bit later. If all-aboard is at 5:30, does that effectively mean you have to check in by 4 or 4:30? Does anyone know when checkin actually closes?

Thanks!

I am also am on the August AOS cruise that leaves Port at 8:30pm. We would like to see San Juan. Does anyone know what time we have to be on the ship?

Archived