Beer - Go -No Go?

Sailor Gal

I believe that beer is still a no-go in the HAL rule book. But I also believe that rules get overlooked by some crew in some locations on some ships at some times.

We made a transatlantic crossing with Celebrity not long ago when the rule was 2 bottles of wine per cabin. I boarded with 4 cases (carried on)...no questions asked.

Company policy is that beer and hard liquor cannot be brought on to the ship. Enforcement is spotty at best but they can make you leave it at the dock. I have seen them do that.

I believe that beer is still a no-go in the HAL rule book. But I also believe that rules get overlooked by some crew in some locations on some ships at some times.
Sir PMP has said on other posts that he was expressly permitted to bring beer onboard, receiving a letter to that effect in his cabin. Maybe that was a test run of some sort. We all waiting to see if this becomes the policy fleet-wide.

(BTW I have openly brought hard liquor on board, on two different ships, to take home as gifts, and have not had it taken from me.)

Sir PMP has said on other posts that he was expressly permitted to bring beer onboard, receiving a letter to that effect in his cabin. Maybe that was a test run of some sort. We all waiting to see if this becomes the policy fleet-wide.

(BTW I have openly brought hard liquor on board, on two different ships, to take home as gifts, and have not had it taken from me.)

I don't sent cases of beer to the ship, because the cost of that would be more than buying a bucket on the ship, a case of wine yes, that makes sense, I just like to buy a couple of local beers where ever I am, Croatia, Greece,etc. and I was able to do that on my last cruise which I appreciated.

See the next to last reply that was on my thread about wine:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=806438&page=3

The answer about beer - NO

Yes, that is still the official policy. But apparently Captains and Hotel Managers and Food & Beverage Managers have a pretty wide latitude on deviating from official policy. You MAY find on your cruise that BYO beer is permitted expressly, or allowed through non-enforcement of the rules.

So if I show up at the gate with a 6 pack and say "you can't bring that on board" I may be forced to just drink them right there! :)
I heard a story once on CC where a guy passed out beers to people behind him in line, and they had a little impromptu party!

Does anyone know if you can bring beer onboard like you can wine, soda and champagne?

Hi:

I asked ship services about bringing beer onboard..here is their reply:

You are allowed to bring wine, champagne, soda and bottled water onboard. Beer and hard alcohol are not allowed.

Ship Services

Holland America Line

1 800 541 1576

Hi:

I asked ship services about bringing beer onboard..here is their reply:

You are allowed to bring wine, champagne, soda and bottled water onboard. Beer and hard alcohol are not allowed.

Ship Services

Holland America Line

1 800 541 1576

That is incorrect, my paper said no Hard Liquor allowed.

Tell us more about this paper, or "note" as you described it in another post. Was it addressed to you individually as opposed to everyone on the ship? What I'm getting at here: was an exception made for you specifically because, as you said on another thread, "I have complained enough to Seattle that it really is discrimination, wine ok, beer no, why?"

I have a feeling that you're just not telling us the whole story.

And you are the only one that has seen that paper. Perhaps someone played a prank on you?

with the price the cruise line charges for bottled water in the room,

water will be the next casulty on the bring onboard list.

water is just another profit center.

Rich:cool: :cool:

You say potato and I say potahto...the bottom line is you can't

bring it on!

with the price the cruise line charges for bottled water in the room,

water will be the next casulty on the bring onboard list.

water is just another profit center.

Rich:cool: :cool:

The water coming out of the tap in your cabin is just as good as - if not better than - most of the water you can buy in a bottle. And HAL gives it away for FREE. :D

Archived