PRINSENDAM - Cappucino - still free?

hellosailer

IIRC there is still a Java Café on the Prinsendam. It’s a lovely room with comfy leather chairs & a big-screen TV just off the Explorer’s Lounge. You can also access it thru glass doors off the Library. But no matter what it’s called – the cappuccino and other coffee concoctions are no longer free :(

We were on the last cruise prior to the drydock last fall. The Java cafe staff told us that following the drydock, they would be charging as they do on the other ships.

We'll be onboard on 7/17 for 21 days and will miss that little treat for sure. We did take advantage of it last fall, particularly since our cabin was just beyond that area a bit!!

MightyQuinn, you are 100% correct - thanks for clearing that up. I just checked HAL's website and the space on Prinsendam is still indeed the Java cafe.

It was a regular haunt for us on the 2007 Eastbound transatlantic. Cappucinos in the morning and espresso in the afternoon (no charge back then). What a treat!

MightyQuinn, you are 100% correct - thanks for clearing that up. I just checked HAL's website and the space on Prinsendam is still indeed the Java cafe. It was a regular haunt for us on the 2007 Eastbound transatlantic. Cappucinos in the morning and espresso in the afternoon (no charge back then). What a treat!

Yup - we recently got off the Prinsendam & the Java Cafe was a fave hang-out for us as well. We thought it was perhaps the coziest room on the ship. Bummer about the up-charges but it's all still good.

One of these days, we 'gotta' try Prinsendam. Everything about her sounds wonderful. We've tried a few times to find a cruise on her but the dates or whatever didn't work out quite right. 'Gotta' keep trying. :)

sail7seas,

Yes, you do have to try the Prinsendam if you do indeed like what little is left of more "traditional" cruising.

I'm about to embark on my 4th cruise and my husband's 3rd. (BTW, we met just over 3 years ago on the Prinsendam and got married this last April.) So, we may be a wee but prejudiced, in fact. It's just a more personal experience and she can get into ports that some of the larger ships cannot.

We're also booked fo 38 days in October 2009 for the Black Sea, Med and crossing. It has some ports that are really "off the beaten path". Should be a fun experience!!

Gotta pack this weekend for the Norway, Iceland, Greenland, Scotland trip next week!!!!!

Hard to go back to the big ships (although we do) after the smaller, more intimate experience of the Prinsendam. We're also trying the Princess Royal this fall which is about the same size.

When we thought we would be cruising them this year, I had looked at the deck plans and was surprised to see that they still had the Java Cafe -- and it is located very close to the Explorations Cafe.

I know on the Westerdam, where the original Java Cafe was, it has been replaced by a Speciality Coffe shop -- not free -- and only open certain hours.

sail7seas,

...... Yes, you do have to try the Prinsendam if you do indeed like what little is left of more "traditional" cruising.

.......Hard to go back to the big ships (although we do) after the smaller, more intimate experience of the Prinsendam. We're also trying the Princess Royal this fall which is about the same size.

We have wanted to sail her for a while but our choices are limited as my husband is not retired. We sail a great deal and, hopefully, will find the chance to have a cruise on her.

Our first cruise ever was on Royal Princess. She's a lovely ship and we learned to love cruising on her.

Have a wonderful time.

Travel safely.

Java Cafes have been gone for years!!

Espresso and cappucino is still no extra charge in the dining room for all meals.

do they serve them still at no extra charge as well in the PG ?

Thanks for your help..

Have happy cruisin'!

Hmmm..... does that mean that if you pop-in to the Dining Room at lunchtime, you can theoretically, just order a free cappo?:D :D :D

Theoretically, I suppose you could. I'd be embarrassed. :o Of course, you would have to drink it there as I doubt they would package it To Go.

The coffee at Exploration really is excellent and a very moderate price...lower than Starbucks. If you really want a coffee, I think you'd enjoy their's just fine.

JMHO......

(I see the :D and know you're kidding........right?? :D

Theoretically, I suppose you could. I'd be embarrassed. :o Of course, you would have to drink it there as I doubt they would package it To Go.

The coffee at Exploration really is excellent and a very moderate price...lower than Starbucks. If you really want a coffee, I think you'd enjoy their's just fine.

JMHO......

(I see the :D and know you're kidding........right?? :D

Ummm...........not too sure about that!!:D I may do it once or twice - take more than that to embarrass me!!! In fact, I would probably find it very amusing to play HAL at their own game!!! I wonder what would be said if I did that - I may ask the MD!!!

Hate Starbucks coffee - might spend a few dollars in the Java, but resent paying for something which was free!!!:p

Hmmm..... does that mean that if you pop-in to the Dining Room at lunchtime, you can theoretically, just order a free cappo?:D :D :D

Yup - you can still get free cappuccino and espresso in the DR at both lunch & dinner. But what you get is NOT the same premium coffee that you pay for in the Java Cafe (on Prinsendam) or the Explorations Cafe (on other HAL ships). It's the same stuff that used to be served when it was all free in the old Java Cafes. You remember- the light brown hot water with froth on top?:rolleyes:

Ummm...........not too sure about that!!:D I may do it once or twice - take more than that to embarrass me!!! In fact, I would probably find it very amusing to play HAL at their own game!!! I wonder what would be said if I did that - I may ask the MD!!!

Hate Starbucks coffee - might spend a few dollars in the Java, but resent paying for something which was free!!!:p

I don't think there is anything free on a cruise ship. You pay for it here or you pay for it there but you pay for it.

Maybe you didn't get an onboard account charge for your coffee at Java but it was built into the fare we all pay. Fares have not risen for many categories of cabins on the ship but the price of everything (including coffee) has risen so take your pick....... higher cruise fare or pay for coffee if you want anything other than what is still complimentary in Lido and the dining room. Be careful .....they may start charging for our Lido coffee. I know I pay more for a pound than I used to.....then again, cans are no longer 16 oz. They're down to 13 or even 11 ounces.

Hey, don't take this too seriously guys!! I will sorely miss the cappo machine 24/7 in the CL on RCCL, but hopefully, the Prinsendam's itinerary will make up for my terrible loss:D :D!!

Probably be doing me a favour anyway, as coffee isn't good for me and we are on board for three weeks.

Will certainly have to expend some dosh and try a cappo in the Java Cafe, just to see if its up to the hype!! Cinnamon on top anyone? Skinny?:D

I do agree that cruising isn't at all expensive - compared to other holidays. However, I do feel that something has been taken away from me - like a kid with the sweeties (candy) taken away!! There yah go - human nature!! I know there's no such thing as a free lunch - but I wasn't charged on my bill for those cappos!!!

I actually liked the coffee in the old Java - warm water with froth? Nice!! Might find that the new stuff is too strong for me - perhaps I should bring my cappo machine with me? And a frother? Goodness, a thought has struck me - if I did that, I could sell cappos and undercut HAL's price!! hehehe!!!!

Don't you just pity anyone having to sail with a mischievous Brit like me?

Hey, don't take this too seriously guys!! I will sorely miss the cappo machine 24/7 in the CL on RCCL, but hopefully, the Prinsendam's itinerary will make up for my terrible loss:D :D!!

Probably be doing me a favour anyway, as coffee isn't good for me and we are on board for three weeks.

Will certainly have to expend some dosh and try a cappo in the Java Cafe, just to see if its up to the hype!! Cinnamon on top anyone? Skinny?:D

I do agree that cruising isn't at all expensive - compared to other holidays. However, I do feel that something has been taken away from me - like a kid with the sweeties (candy) taken away!! There yah go - human nature!! I know there's no such thing as a free lunch - but I wasn't charged on my bill for those cappos!!!

I actually liked the coffee in the old Java - warm water with froth? Nice!! Might find that the new stuff is too strong for me - perhaps I should bring my cappo machine with me? And a frother? Goodness, a thought has struck me - if I did that, I could sell cappos and undercut HAL's price!! hehehe!!!!

Don't you just pity anyone having to sail with a mischievous Brit like me?

U sound like a 'fun' kind of person...pity more aren't like u!!!

Have happy cruisin'! :)

DH always has espresso in PG and has never been charged anything additional. Our friends had Decaf cappucino.....no extra charge.

Curious if the coffee in the PG is the 'weak' brown stuff served at the Lido, DR & formerly served at the Java Cafe or the better coffees now served in the Expl. Cafe?

Seems to me it shld be in the PG but ???

Hoping u might know..

On all the ships that we have been on, there hasn't been a charge in the Pinnacle Grill.

Now if you order one with a liquor in it, then there is a charge.

Agree hmmm that u don't notice the coffee much with 'booze' in it anyway?

:D ...

Thanks for responding..

Yup - we recently got off the Prinsendam & the Java Cafe was a fave hang-out for us as well. We thought it was perhaps the coziest room on the ship. Bummer about the up-charges but it's all still good.

Might Quinn--A little off topic here but did you have As you wish dining on your recent Prinsendam sailing? We are on her in August and didn't select it but had no choice. I am thinking we might like it due to our labor intensive itinerary.

Might Quinn--A little off topic here but did you have As you wish dining on your recent Prinsendam sailing? We are on her in August and didn't select it but had no choice. I am thinking we might like it due to our labor intensive itinerary.

Hi luvn2cruzzz – Sorry I didn't see your question until now, so here goes. The Prinsendam made the change to AYWD during the first segment of our b2b. By all accounts, it was a pretty smooth transition with few complaints from passengers. We had Early Fixed Seating for both segments - a departure for us as we usually request Late Fixed. With such a port-intensive itinerary, we found it a bit hectic to get to the DR on time a few nites. I think you’ll be just fine with Open Dining. Those passengers that tried it really seemed to like the flexibility. Have a wonderful cruise!

Archived