Lobster

soam2005

Exactly what I always think when my husband drowns his lobster:p

If I'm making lobster salad, a little lemon aioli is nice, though ;-)

That's perfect, Hoyaheel. We think alike. :)

I Never use butter with my lobster. Never could understand why anyone wants to bury the taste of the wonderful lobster meat in all that fat and calories. :D

We're used to New England lobsters so almost never order them on the ship......but we sure do eat them ashore for lunch on our Canada/New England cruises. :) (Mine steamed, no butter. My DH does the butter thing. )

I love it plain as well but the butter brings out the sweetness of a good lobster or crab that I can't resist. My favorite way for lobster tails is smeared in butter and broiled until there are near-toasty tips. Toss in fresh lemon now and then and oh my! What can I say other than it has ruined the purist in me. :D I am just as bad with crab and clams. Just know you and this entire discussion has made me hungry.

THAT is wonderful news. That may be the only meal we eat in the cabin as I don't look good with melted butter covering the upper half of my body and anything near me. I used to order lobster dinners, bring it home and spread a picnic blanket on the floor for a romantic dinner. In the cabin I will not be doing that where strangers have lived and walked but no doubt the romance of an unlimited supply of lobster in an intimate setting is something to look forward to - all that butter flying and the shower is so close.

Can it get any better?

You may be better off having your lobster on the balcony. They can hose it down out there.... :D :D :D

You may be better off having your lobster on the balcony. They can hose it down out there.... :D :D :D

ROFL! Perfect response and I think you may have hit on something. Thank you for my laugh of the day!!!!

I love it plain as well but the butter brings out the sweetness of a good lobster or crab that I can't resist. My favorite way for lobster tails is smeared in butter and broiled until there are near-toasty tips. Toss in fresh lemon now and then and oh my! What can I say other than it has ruined the purist in me. :D I am just as bad with crab and clams. Just know you and this entire discussion has made me hungry.

That's just the way I love them!!!

I'm with Sail on this. A good steamed lobster doesn't need any butter. It's delicious as is. As a lobster lover, and one who gets them in the Hamptons on Long Island or from a special retail place that sells them to all the NYC restaurants, the tails on HAL just aren't really that outstanding. They are small and you need to order a lot and I don't want to do that.:D

They are small and you need to order a lot and I don't want to do that.:D

Now this is why I Love HAL, Because they allow you to order a lot and being in my cabin I don't have to look like I have been stranded on a deserted island for 90 days without food!!:D

and haven't bothered since. The tails are the least tasty and those served are so small and tough, whether they are southern Caribbean or South African or remnants of northern lobster. They are constantly overcooked. I would rather shell out (pun) big bucks at a steak house and get a well prepared whole lobster (3 lb. +) and dig in getting the claws, tamaly and knuckle meat. For those mid westerners, tamaly is the red and green roe that is very flavorfull and high in cholesterol. No number of tiny tails can match that. I usually have steak or lamb that night.

JMO -- the lobsters on the ship are tiny - maybe 2 or 3 bites. They sit far too long under that cover which keeps cooking them and they get tough.

We don't even order them anymore.

Same here, KK. We're from New England so are spoiled with Maine lobsters! I had lobster one time only on a cruise...once was enough! :rolleyes:

My DH has ordered as many as three lobster plates on formal night for himself in the cabin. One night I came back from dinner in the DR and there were so many plates, trays and dishes that I could barely move in the room.

We don't get much lobster here in the desert southwest so I appreciate every sweet bite on board. Love those esgargots too!

That's just the way I love them!!!

Looks like I may just have to move to the East Coast. They are pretty good on the West Coast in season but something tells me I am missing out on Lobster Nirvana in the East. Nice!

Hard to beat a Maine hardshell lobster. Never in all our travels have we had anything that compares. We've had the crawfish and the So. African tails and other varieties......but it's all about cold water lobsters from east coast Canada/Maine/New England lobsters. IMO

Sails the first time I was ever in Boston I was taken out for a whole lobster dinner. I laugh now because I made the wait person take it away and bring it back without the head on it. How can anybody eat something that can look back at them is beyond me :eek:

Looks like I may just have to move to the East Coast. They are pretty good on the West Coast in season but something tells me I am missing out on Lobster Nirvana in the East. Nice!

I must say IF you get out to the East the lobster really can't be beat!!;)

Hard to beat a Maine hardshell lobster. Never in all our travels have we had anything that compares. We've had the crawfish and the So. African tails and other varieties......but it's all about cold water lobsters from east coast Canada/Maine/New England lobsters. IMO

Absolutely! :)

Another thing is when I have fried clams , they have to be the whole bellied clams . These "clam strips" just don't cut it

Oh my goodness........ clams without the bellies aren't clams. :D

We are in the clam capital of the world living close enough to Ipswich, MA. I don't believe anyplace in the world can duplicate well prepared Ipswich fried clams.

The clam beds are all open now though there was some red tide earlier in the season.

Happy clamming! :D

Ask for the fish fork -- then it won't be as messy -- less on the fork with all that butter.:D

Good grief, there are already 10-11 pieces of silverware on the table. You mean there are MORE!!!

One night, I actually legitimately used all my pieces of silverware. Lights flashed, sirens screamed, the wait staff broke out into song and one of the Officers brought me a coupon for dam dollars. :-)

DH and I were thinking about only doing one formal night next cruise; when I mentioned lobster from room service (and more than one!), he has finally shown real excitement.:D What a GREAT idea. THANK YOU!

Archived