OTC Drugs in Mexico

kwnancy

Can I go 'shopping' in a pharmacy in Cozumel and bring onboard various drugs, which in the US are prescription only? A friend of mine did this in Cancun, but flew in/out and just packed them in her luggage. When re-boarding the ship would my bags be searched and drugs confiscated?

Can I go 'shopping' in a pharmacy in Cozumel and bring onboard various drugs, which in the US are prescription only? A friend of mine did this in Cancun, but flew in/out and just packed them in her luggage. When re-boarding the ship would my bags be searched and drugs confiscated?

yes, just don't overdo it. Unless your bringing back huge amounts, it is usually not an issue. Never seen bags searched for this, not to say it couldn't happen.

Never bought in Mexico, but have in Belize. there I found some pretty good prices.

Like the above poster said just don't bring back carloads full and you should be fine.

The dogs do not sniff out prescription pills.

Search any browser and you will find a variation of opinions on bringing Rx drugs back from Mexico. All are opinions (including the ones posted above and below this).

Look for the FDA and official US government websites and read the policies closely. You will find the next statement at this website:

http://www.fda.gov/ora/import/pipinfo.htm

The United States Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (Act) (21 U.S.C. section 331) prohibits the interstate shipment (which includes importation) of unapproved new drugs. Thus, the importation of drugs that lack FDA approval, whether for personal use or otherwise, violates the Act. Unapproved new drugs are any drugs, including foreign-made versions of U.S. approved drugs, that have not been manufactured in accordance with and pursuant to an FDA approval.

Beyond that look at the prices, beware of counterfeit as shrink wrap machines are easy to purchase.

Also remember you are dealing with the feds at US Customs. Not exactly the kid of men and women with a sense of humor at times about cruise passengers and the laws.

A little paradox is that people will not drink the water in Mexico because of impurities but will ingest medicines that might be of suspicious origin.

Remember health care providers monitor and check blood levels for liver function, blood count and potential harm from prescription drugs. If you do choose to import medicine don't skimp on those tests.

Been in the health care business for about 25 years... might have some valid points.

We bought Amoxicillan for our daughter who was going through an ear infection on the second day of our cruise. Best $7.00 I ever spent.

This year, we are going to buy it again. Sure it only costs $3.99 for a scrip at home, but that has to come with a $20.00 doctor bill. I told my doctor I did this, thinking I would get a lecture... she said "good for you!"

Catrin

I've brought Retin-A back for a friend twice from Cabo and Mazatlan with no problems, I guess it needs a prescription in the U.S. She's going with us on our cruise in March so can get her own! I just pack it in the suitcase and no one has ever asked me if I had any drugs.

I have been asked if I had purchased any drugs by a customs agent after a cruise. This was at Galveston, so yes you can be asked and you can be searched. However, at the same time, I understand why people do it with the cost of prescription drugs. And on my last cruise, I came down with a sinus infection (have them often so I knew what was wrong) and picked up some augmentin in PV.

I researched it and decided that I really didn't feel comfortable buying important meds from a little independent Mexican pharmacy.

However, I would happily purchase from a big chain pharmacy.

FYI HAVE YOU CHECKED WHERE YOU RX DRUGS ARE MADE THAT YOU ARE BUYING IN THE US AT BIG CHAIN PHARMACY'S? ASK TO THE THE BOTTLE YOU MAY BE SHOCKED! I WAS!

If you have children you know how much amoxicilan you can go through. Both of my children have ear problems and as soon as there is a complaint or fever I give the amoxicil. I have purchased it twice in Mexico and never have had a problem. Like the other poster said, it saves me the $20 dr. visit and lose of work and school for the kids. We are going baci in Feb. and I plan on stocking up on more. This means a bottle of 50 tablets for $20.

Guest carlogesualdo
Search any browser and you will find a variation of opinions on bringing Rx drugs back from Mexico. All are opinions (including the ones posted above and below this).

Look for the FDA and official US government websites and read the policies closely. You will find the next statement at this website:

http://www.fda.gov/ora/import/pipinfo.htm

The United States Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act (Act) (21 U.S.C. section 331) prohibits the interstate shipment (which includes importation) of unapproved new drugs. Thus, the importation of drugs that lack FDA approval, whether for personal use or otherwise, violates the Act. Unapproved new drugs are any drugs, including foreign-made versions of U.S. approved drugs, that have not been manufactured in accordance with and pursuant to an FDA approval.

Beyond that look at the prices, beware of counterfeit as shrink wrap machines are easy to purchase.

Also remember you are dealing with the feds at US Customs. Not exactly the kid of men and women with a sense of humor at times about cruise passengers and the laws.

A little paradox is that people will not drink the water in Mexico because of impurities but will ingest medicines that might be of suspicious origin.

Remember health care providers monitor and check blood levels for liver function, blood count and potential harm from prescription drugs. If you do choose to import medicine don't skimp on those tests.

Been in the health care business for about 25 years... might have some valid points.

That statement you quoted in bold has to do with drugs that have not been approved at all by the FDA, not for drugs that are only approved for prescription-use.

That statement you quoted in bold has to do with drugs that have not been approved at all by the FDA, not for drugs that are only approved for prescription-use.

Unapproved new drugs are any drugs, including foreign-made versions of U.S. approved drugs, that have not been manufactured in accordance with and pursuant to an FDA approval.

Let me add something the Blusry's post after seeing all the ones about buying antibiotics....

People overuse antibiotics..... It seems every time some kid has a runny nose or ear ache mom runs to the doctor and demands them. Same with adults. It has gotten ridiculous. Not all illnesses are caused by bacteria, many are viral. Antibiotics DO NOT affect virus'.

Also, we as a nation seem to be bad about not taking medications as prescribed. When Dr. Jones says to take the Penicillin for 10 days, he means 10 days. When you feel better and quit taking it after 5 or 6 days you have not effectively killed off the bacteria and those that survive can and just might build up resistance to the anitbiotic.

For these reasons among others, we have strains of bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.... MRSA, VRE, etc........ Doctors know when things need to be prescribed, we as lay people don't. I have no problem with buying certain things and saving money.... For instance, I bought Claritin D in Canada over the counter much cheaper than my copayment here in the States. However, my DH and I had prescriptions for it already.

I'm a nurse and see this stuff all too much...

Guest carlogesualdo
Unapproved new drugs are any drugs, including foreign-made versions of U.S. approved drugs, that have not been manufactured in accordance with and pursuant to an FDA approval.

Well unless you changed the wording before you posted it, that isn't what that law says.

Well unless you changed the wording before you posted it, that isn't what that law says.

Once more with enthusiasm... no opinions, no pointing, no changing text. Read the link and then decide if you want to take a chance.

Let me add something the Blusry's post after seeing all the ones about buying antibiotics....

People overuse antibiotics..... It seems every time some kid has a runny nose or ear ache mom runs to the doctor and demands them. Same with adults. It has gotten ridiculous. Not all illnesses are caused by bacteria' date=' many are viral. Antibiotics DO NOT affect virus'.

Also, we as a nation seem to be bad about not taking medications as prescribed. When Dr. Jones says to take the Penicillin for 10 days, he means 10 days. When you feel better and quit taking it after 5 or 6 days you have not effectively killed off the bacteria and those that survive can and just might build up resistance to the anitbiotic.

For these reasons among others, we have strains of bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics.... MRSA, VRE, etc........ Doctors know when things need to be prescribed, we as lay people don't. I have no problem with buying certain things and saving money.... For instance, I bought Claritin D in Canada over the counter much cheaper than my copayment here in the States. However, my DH and I had prescriptions for it already.

I'm a nurse and see this stuff all too much...[/quote']

I'm a paramedic and I recently came across a man who when he felt his sciatica coming on he would take 4 penicillin right away and that always took care of it. LMFAO, I had to use all my restraint not to laugh in his face, some people are so psychosomatic.

• 2 weeks later...

People overuse antibiotics..... It seems every time some kid has a runny nose or ear ache mom runs to the doctor and demands them. Same with adults. It has gotten ridiculous. Not all illnesses are caused by bacteria' date=' many are viral. Antibiotics DO NOT affect virus'.

I'm a nurse and see this stuff all too much...[/quote']

I fully agree. People want medication for everything these days.

• 1 month later...

People can and do become resistant to antibiotics. I have two children that had severe ear infections from birth. I followed all the doctors orders exactly but because they took so much amoxillan in their first couple of years it does not work on them. Also their ear infections became a major health problem. They both had ear tubes. But when my son was 11 and my daughter was 6, they both had mastioditis. They were operated on a day apart in a 6 hour operation which required the removal of their ear drums ( making them 50% deaf for that time period). My son's ear drum grew back but my daughter had to have an operation to build one.

As the other poster said bacteria and viruses are two different things. Bacteria is alive and viruses do not have the characteristics of living things except that they reproduce. (I am a science teacher.)

Viruses are worse than bacteria because for a long time we did not have meds for viruses. Luckily we now have a couple. My husband had viral encephalitis from shingles. He would have died had we not had meds to kill virus. He does have neurological problems as an aftereffect.

Sorry for the lecture but please use meds correctly because you never know when you may need one to save your life.

Archived