ATM Machines and TSA Approved Locks on the ZU

learjetjock

The plastic cable ties are just as effective and less costly. TSA allows the cable ties as they can snip them. If some unauthorized person is going to 'break into your suitcase' the TSA lock will do no more to keep them out than a cable tie will IMO

S7S, while it's true that anyone wanting to unlawfully enter your luggage can do so if they want to badly enough, I must respectfully disagree that a cable tie is just as good as a lock. You can cut the cable tie with a small knife or pair of scissors. You'd need bolt cutters to remove the lock (unless you were a TSA agent with a key.)

Both my wife and I travel frequently with our work and have been using TSA approved locks for several months. We've been in and out of a broad selection of airports from the biggest like Atlanta to the smaller ones like Alexandria, LA, and have had no problem. Not one lock cut or missing and our baggage have been opened for inspection in a few cases and relocked by TSA. I carry a few ties in the side pocket of our bags in case a lock disappears but so far no need. Could be the locks are no better than the ties but I'll stick with the locks....whether it's logical or not it makes me feel better.

If someone is 'bent upon breaking into your luggage', a TSA approved lock, in fact no luggage lock, is apt to keep them out. They would be 'armed' with the necessary tools, I regret to say. JMHO, of course. A thief comes prepared.

If someone is 'bent upon breaking into your luggage', a TSA approved lock, in fact no luggage lock, is apt to keep them out. They would be 'armed' with the necessary tools, I regret to say. JMHO, of course. A thief comes prepared.
While its nearly impossible to thwart the determined thief, the locks will deter the casual (or opportunistic) thief and there are a lot more of them!

-dave

Archived