Coral/Island Princess Aft Balconies

capnjack

Are the balconies on the balconies at the aft end of the Coral/Island Princess open to the public or are they crew areas? Here is a picture that shows what I am talking about:

photo-e.jpg

It sure does look like crew hanging around on Emerald deck, but Caribe and Baja appear to be public areas. If Caribe and Baja are public it would seem that these decks would be pretty quiet most of the time. Anyone have any recent experience with these balconies? Are the loungers still there? Are there a lot of smokers?

The reason why I am asking is that I'm thinking about grabbing one of the aft inside cabins on Caribe deck. This would be our first inside cabin - we've always had balconies before. But for the price of an inside cabin I would be willing to take a few steps to get to a balcony, especially if it is not very busy most of the time.

Most wise and learned Cruise Critic oracle, what say ye?

You're likely seeing the crew and no pax in that picture because the ship is docked. Most pax are probably out on shore or doing other activities on the ship. The Princess deck plans show these as public areas, so you may very well get smokers or other folks joining you on the lounge chairs. We plan to be out there on our Panama Canal cruise when we want to see behind the ship as we go through the locks.

Are the balconies on the balconies at the aft end of the Coral/Island Princess open to the public or are they crew areas? Here is a picture that shows what I am talking about:

photo-e.jpg

It sure does look like crew hanging around on Emerald deck, but Caribe and Baja appear to be public areas. If Caribe and Baja are public it would seem that these decks would be pretty quiet most of the time. Anyone have any recent experience with these balconies? Are the loungers still there? Are there a lot of smokers?

The reason why I am asking is that I'm thinking about grabbing one of the aft inside cabins on Caribe deck. This would be our first inside cabin - we've always had balconies before. But for the price of an inside cabin I would be willing to take a few steps to get to a balcony, especially if it is not very busy most of the time.

Most wise and learned Cruise Critic oracle, what say ye?

Yes, these aft areas are open to the public. Note the lounge chairs on Baha and Caribe. The doors you see are at the end of the hallways and lead out to these decks. We used the area a few times on the Island last year.

Cindy

Those aft balconies are also used for passengers when sailing through the panama Canal. We were out there a lot going through the canal as the bow was very crowded and you truly get a different prospective viewing the locks from there. Also we have used them cruising through the Inside Passage in alaska.

marilyn

We took some of our best Panama Canal lock pictures and videos from these aft balconies. They are also wonderful quiet places to sit on busy sea days when the other open decks are crowded...they are always open to the public, but rarely see any use.

The aft areas on Baja and Caribe are public -- we used the area on Baja quite often during our recent Alaska cruise. There are also public areas at the very front of these decks that are great viewing areas - they can be quite windy (at least it was very windy in Alaska!) but do provide great views. Not many passengers seemed to know about these areas (thanks to posts on this BB we knew about them ;) ) so they were not crowded at all.

Would anyone happen to know if those corner aft staterooms have larger balconies than the regular staterooms? I was interested in the corner aft mini suites on dolphin or the corner aft balconies on the caribe deck. Thanks.

Would anyone happen to know if those corner aft staterooms have larger balconies than the regular staterooms? I was interested in the corner aft mini suites on dolphin or the corner aft balconies on the caribe deck. Thanks.

The corner aft staterooms on Caribe are mini suites (they are all mini's in the aft bumpout on Caribe).

The balcony size in the aft corners might be just a teeny bit smaller because of the curve but the view will be outstanding.

Cindy

Just so you're aware, those cabins are completely uncovered. The overhang from above doesn't extend to the last cabin on each deck.

Jack, we just got back from a cruise on the Island Princess and had a mini-suite about as aft as you can get (C721) The balconies on the back of the boat are public and not very crowded! We used our balcony most of the day in Glacier Bay, but when there was something neat on the port side we slipped out the back and had no crowds, maybe 10 other people at the most.

HTH, Molly

Jack, we just got back from a cruise on the Island Princess and had a mini-suite about as aft as you can get (C721) The balconies on the back of the boat are public and not very crowded! We used our balcony most of the day in Glacier Bay, but when there was something neat on the port side we slipped out the back and had no crowds, maybe 10 other people at the most.

HTH, Molly

Hi Molly, Did you like having a partially covered balcony or would you have preferred a fully covered balcony on the Dolphin deck?

-Patricia

• 2 weeks later...
We booked a "guarantee" and were given A706 on the Coral.

From the pictures it looks like the balcony isn't covered at all.

Does anyone know about the staterooms there?:confused:

I have had uncovered balconies on the Coral and frankly never bothered me at all. Now I was on the Dolphin deck and people from above could look down at me. Now that you are on the aloha deck which is on the highest deck you can go you will not have any problems with people looking at you. I have been on uncovered balconies in both the panama Canal where it is HOT and also to Alaska where it was cold but really it is you choice if you want to change. But just remember that is why you booked a guarantee; there is no guarantee where Princess is going to put you.

Marilyn

We will going through the Panama Canal in November. My real

concern was people being able to look down from above, but

now I know that there is no cause to worry. Thanks for your help!

You might think about the noise factor of the door slamming everytime someone goes thru it to get to the outside deck. Went thru the canal in April and did a bit of viewing on the back of caribe deck and most people coming thru the door let it slam despite the sign on the door saying not to let door slam...

Now I was on the Dolphin deck and people from above could look down at me. Now that you are on the aloha deck which is on the highest deck you can go you will not have any problems with people looking at you.

Marilyn

Actually, there is a walkway on the Lido Deck above Aloha in this area.

Cindy

Actually, there is a walkway on the Lido Deck above Aloha in this area.

Cindy

Cindy actually you are right. Also above the Aloha deck is the Lido deck and the diagram shows the fitness center back there. Now it is hard to tell if A706 lines up with the fitness center or not.

Marilyn

Cindy actually you are right. Also above the Aloha deck is the Lido deck and the diagram shows the fitness center back there. Now it is hard to tell if A706 lines up with the fitness center or not.

Marilyn

Yes, the fitness centre is on Lido, directly above that group of aft cabins on Aloha, from about A632 through A714. Here's a link to a site where you can choose a ship, click on individual decks, and then drag one on top of the other to see how things actually line up. If you line up the stairs/elevators on each deck, you know you have it lined up right. It's pretty cool.:)

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Princess/coralprincess.php

Cindy

Archived