Halifax or Peggy's cove for Brit

Hi

I'm from South West England (live by the coast and see lots of lighthouses) and will be going on Quebec to NY cruise Sept/ Oct. One stop is Halifax for the day. As we've never been to Canada or the states let alone Halifax I can't decide whether to stay in Halifax for the day as it looks interesting or take a trip to Peggy's cove. Any advice would be welcome.

Thankyou

We just got back from a cruise which stopped in Halifax. We spent the morning at Peggy's Cove and the afternoon in Halifax. We were glad we experienced both, but they are very different. If you are trying to choose between the two it really depends on your personal preference - a small rural coastal town in a beautiful setting (where the tourists outnumber the residents) which has one coffee shop, one restaurant and several gift shops or a much larger city with numerous restaurants, parks, tours, museums to choose from.

We just got back from a cruise which stopped in Halifax. We spent the morning at Peggy's Cove and the afternoon in Halifax. We were glad we experienced both, but they are very different. If you are trying to choose between the two it really depends on your personal preference - a small rural coastal town in a beautiful setting (where the tourists outnumber the residents) which has one coffee shop, one restaurant and several gift shops or a much larger city with numerous restaurants, parks, tours, museums to choose from.

Well said. IMHO, I would pick Halifax. If you do decide on Halifax, there is a wonderful museum on Canadian immigration that should not be missed.

DON

Is this museum walking distance from where the ships dock?

The immigration museum is at Pier 21, right where the ships dock. I'd also recommend the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, which is right on the waterfront about a 10-15 minute walk from the pier. They have an excellent Titanic display.

I think our plan is to take a taxi up to Citadel Hill and then walk back down to the museums and the waterfront. I don't think I could make it UP the hill! (Where we live, the terrain is perfectly level, so we're not accustomed to uphill walks!)

• 3 weeks later...

Synnytrip - if it is any help, I have spoken with someone in the UK who went here in May just past. He hired a car and toured the area. He said that Peggy's Cove was much like any lighthouse he saw in Britain and when there were a couple of hundred or more people there, it lost it's perceived magic. A lighthouse is a lighthouse is a lighthouse ..... were his words.

Synnytrip - if it is any help' date=' I have spoken with someone in the UK who went here in May just past. He hired a car and toured the area. He said that Peggy's Cove was much like any lighthouse he saw in Britain and when there were a couple of hundred or more people there, it lost it's perceived magic. A lighthouse is a lighthouse is a lighthouse ..... were his words.[/quote']

Thanks for that Sue's mum. I did wonder, as there are lots of lighthouses around the Devon and Cornwall coast where I live. I'm sure Peggy's cove is lovely but I did wonder if there might be loads of people there. Halifax sounds very interesting though

I did wonder, as there are lots of lighthouses around the Devon and Cornwall coast where I live. I'm sure Peggy's cove is lovely but I did wonder if there might be loads of people there. Halifax sounds very interesting though

You are correct - there are a lot of lighthouses in Devon / Cornwall - it is a lovely area there (I visited in the early '70's)... living in NS, I would agree, a lighthouse is a lighthouse is a lighthouse, they are all (pretty much) the same.... there is however a nice monument to the victems of Swissair flight 111 at (near) Peggy's Cove, if you want to see a lighthouse with a LOT of other people around - then Peggy's cove is the place to go, other wise you could stick around Halifax - there is a lot of history in Halifax - or you could take a winery/vinyard tour to "The Valley" (which is the area of NS that I currently live in...) it's about a 1 hour drive from Halifax, and they give a wonderful tour of a vinyard, and even some "samples"...

Synnytrip - if it is any help' date=' I have spoken with someone in the UK who went here in May just past. He hired a car and toured the area. He said that Peggy's Cove was much like any lighthouse he saw in Britain and when there were a couple of hundred or more people there, it lost it's perceived magic. [b']A lighthouse is a lighthouse is a lighthouse ..... were his words[/b].

Apparently a descendent of Gretrude Stein. :p

Archived