Repeat Cruiser - Same old same old blues.

Don't get me wrong. My wife and I are die hard cruisers and this will continue to be our vacation of choice for the foreseeable future, and we love RCCL and will continue cruising on this line, particularly since we made platinum and are starting to get some loyalty perks.

But here's my problem. Am I the only repeat cruiser who feels like the cruise lines (RCCL is certainly not the only one) need to update thier acts?

Yeah, I've enjoyed The Quest, and the Sexy Legs Contest and the Belly Flop and the Pool Olympics, etc. But isn't it time that they came up with a few new ideas? We still find plenty of things to do, but can we ditch some of the moldy oldies?

On Voyager, they did have a poolside chili cookoff with volunteer passenger chefs getting help from kitchen staff and they had a Kareoke Superstar competition with auditions and a finale in the main theater instead of just regular kareoke, but that's just a drop in the bucket.

Are there any new ideas out there we can pass along to the folks up top to get them to be a little creative?

Also, I am curious as to whether I'm alone in feeling this way. It seems like the same thing year after year (I'm on my 4th year of cruising) and it makes me wonder if it will ever change.

Don't get me wrong. My wife and I are die hard cruisers and this will continue to be our vacation of choice for the foreseeable future, and we love RCCL and will continue cruising on this line, particularly since we made platinum and are starting to get some loyalty perks.

But here's my problem. Am I the only repeat cruiser who feels like the cruise lines (RCCL is certainly not the only one) need to update thier acts?

Yeah, I've enjoyed The Quest, and the Sexy Legs Contest and the Belly Flop and the Pool Olympics, etc. But isn't it time that they came up with a few new ideas? We still find plenty of things to do, but can we ditch some of the moldy oldies?

On Voyager, they did have a poolside chili cookoff with volunteer passenger chefs getting help from kitchen staff and they had a Kareoke Superstar competition with auditions and a finale in the main theater instead of just regular kareoke, but that's just a drop in the bucket.

Are there any new ideas out there we can pass along to the folks up top to get them to be a little creative?

Also, I am curious as to whether I'm alone in feeling this way. It seems like the same thing year after year (I'm on my 4th year of cruising) and it makes me wonder if it will ever change.

Believe me, I'm not an expert (I've only cruised RCCL twice in 20+ yrs), but I'm wondering if changing ships would help? Anyone out there who has cruised a variety of RCCL ships with an opinion?

I'm curious too!

Good question. And I agree with you. Although I have only been on 3 cruises, they were repeats of the one before. I'd like to see something new next time I cruise.....which I hope is REAL SOON!

I cruised on Princess in Feb. While I came back to RCi for my July cruise and for next May--There were some things I liked on Princess particularly in the Entertainment. Princess had some new pool games that were fun and they also did a crew talent show that was quite good. I know it is old but I loved the IF I Were Not Upon the Sea skit that was part of it. WE liked the Karioke super star competition as well. Princess also had extra shows in other lounges other than the main theatre. That being said I still like RCI better for the overall experience.

One time on a Princess cruise, they had a session where passengers in one of the lounges had the opportunity to get up and tell jokes. It was the funniest thing to see how so many different people would get up and tell jokes - most of which were as good as any entertainer! I really enjoyed that, as did the 50 or so people in the lounge that afternoon. I never saw it again on any cruise, but that could be something they could try and have "votes" for the best "comedians". :p

We have cruised on 10 different RCCL ships and the entertainment is pretty well standard across all the ships. Each has the usual cruiser participation games, ie Quest, trivia games and demonstrations. We have found that it is usually how well the Cruise Director does their job that decides if the event is wearing old or are we still enjoying it.

We have also cruised other lines and found many of the same events are held on them also.

Bill

Yes, the most of the entertainment is standard on all RCCL ships, quest, sexy legs, etc. Being a diamond and on a variety of RCCL ships, I too am ready for a change. I think even the same old poolside line dancing need to be updated!!! However, not enough to make me change cruise lines.

I think we all agree, basically that some newness is in order, but how do we get a company that is making money without updating anything make some changes? I think a little proactivity would be in their best interests. The joke telling by passengers sounds like it would be a hit anywhere.

Someone also mentioned that some activities vary with the CD.

Maybe the CDs are who we should be lobbying. Next cruise, I'm going to talk to the CD or one of his staff and see if I can find out how much leeway they have. My wife and I always seem to end up hanging out with the entertainers and CD staff anyway. I've just never thought to ask them what was up with the perpetual reruns. Even TV gets a new schedule every fall.

I agree that changes should happen but I would think that there is only so much that can be done given the venue. Change is good. How about some new jokes for the welcome aboard show! New questions for the contests should not be to much to ask for.

But here's my problem. Am I the only repeat cruiser who feels like the cruise lines (RCCL is certainly not the only one) need to update thier acts? .

We did Voyager this past spring and they had Smith a piano player I saw on Rhapsody the year before. Not only that, but I had done B2B on SOV out of Florida, what are the odds I kept thinking of the same singer(s) from the SOV AND the same puppet act, the one with the colors and the guys and wife with the whip act.

I knew all the punchlines for all the shows, they are so totally canned.

HUGE dissapointement as I love the shows.

RCI used to do a passenger talent show which sometimes was hysterical. Some of the ones I went to I cried from laughing so hard. They also did the If I were not upon the sea but I guess it got old too. The last cruise I was on was the Jewel in Feb and they had a heck of a time getting people to participate especially in the pool games. So yeah I think they are getting real old.

You are definitely not alone! We love the RCI product, but we are feeling a bit "stale". The menus are the same, the choices in the Windjammer is the same, the entertainment is generally the same, the ships look very similar to each other, etc.

The primary reason we are sailing on Caribbean Princess this summer is for a change of pace - to shake things up - for something different. Their sailaway seafood buffet sounds particularly appealing!!! (As well, the price is half of what the same itinerary on EOS would have cost, albeit the Princess cruise is only 7 days and the EOS one that's twice the price is 9 days).

We'll always return to RCI, and we are already thinking about future cruises on AOS, FOS, Mariner west coast, etc. However, it does get "old" and boring somethings to have so much sameness.

It is the same story with the menu and how people complain about the same menu.

I counter that with the question: how often do Restaurants revamp their menu. They may add a thing and take a thing away once in a while (just like cruise lines) but how often do you see a new menu.

In regards to entertainment: how often do change fixed entertainment venues from small (like Boomers, Chuckee'z Cheesez) to big (Disney World, Universal) their basic entertainment. As far as I can tell the parades in Disney World are the same as they were 10 years ago.

Once you start cruising numerous times on the same line it becomes repetitive. I cruise for the sake of cruising and the ships thus having picked RCI. If I cruise for the entertainment I would switch more often cruise lines.

You have to put it in perspective with real life. A cruise is no magic act where you can change things in a heart beat. And many cruisers are still new so everything for them is a first time.

We never feel like it is getting old. We are on a cruise and that is all we care about. We have never tired of Quest, Love/Marriage, Belly Flop, Food, or anything else. But we don't mind doing things over and over. We go on the boat on Sunday and go and tie up at the same few spoil islands every week. So to us, this is the same. We go on the cruise to cruise. We have been in many ports numerous times and we never get tired of them either.

So while having new things would be great and I am sure we would enjoy them, doesn't bother me if they don't either. only thing I wish they would bring back is the horse racing. That was always fun to watch.

Now this is a good topic. Having only been on 5 cruises so far, on 4 different cruise lines (2 Celebrity, 1 Royal Catibbean, 1 Holland America, and 1 Cunard), there is a definite feeling of having been there before with many of the shows and activities. Hopefully somebody somewhere is coming up with a few new ideas to implement in the future. As for now, the great thing about cruising is that all of the activities are take it or leave as the passengers are free to partake of whichever activities they care to.

My one immediate request of all CD's: please refrain from any variation of the phrase "get ready for, welcome to, etc. the greatest vacation of your life". It would seem to devalue the cruise I took last time out, and it would also seem to put a damper on future cruise sales from the standpoint of not being able to top the one I am on now.

Thanks.

It is the same story with the menu and how people complain about the same menu.

I counter that with the question: how often do Restaurants revamp their menu. They may add a thing and take a thing away once in a while (just like cruise lines) but how often do you see a new menu.

In regards to entertainment: how often do change fixed entertainment venues from small (like Boomers, Chuckee'z Cheesez) to big (Disney World, Universal) their basic entertainment. As far as I can tell the parades in Disney World are the same as they were 10 years ago.

Once you start cruising numerous times on the same line it becomes repetitive. I cruise for the sake of cruising and the ships thus having picked RCI. If I cruise for the entertainment I would switch more often cruise lines.

You have to put it in perspective with real life. A cruise is no magic act where you can change things in a heart beat. And many cruisers are still new so everything for them is a first time.

You make a good point.

However, on land, we have more options. There are literally hundreds of restaurants within our local area. Even our favorite restaurant has over 50 items on their regular menu, plus daily specials that are always changing. We could eat out every day for a year, and not repeat the same meal. If we crave variety or change of scenery, there are plenty of options. Same with entertainment venues - multiple options and changing acts make it possible to see more of a variety without it getting tired or old over time.

We're also tired of the same old Eastern/Western ports. It's thrilling to us that Mariner is going over to the west coast, and Adventure has added new ports to both of its itineraries! We'll be seeking out those ships in the future, however the cost of airfare might be prohibitive (we cancelled a cruise on AOS for this summer because the cost of airfare was almost as much as the cruisefare.)

Maybe we're a bit spoiled living in a suburb of a large city, and therefore having access to a variety different choices. We LOVE the Royal Caribbean product, and will continue to sail with them, but we crave variety from time to time.

OK I'll admit after 18 cruises the entertaiment is getting a bit stale. Though my favorite entertainment is people watching and that never gets stale. To me there's nothing better than getting a drink settling into a chair and watching the "parade". I'll actually leave my DH a note telling him I'm in the Centrum (pool deck, promanade deck, etc.) watching the Parade.

Agreed! My first cruise was in 01 on Rhapsody with my family. I was only 16 but I remember it well, it is what got me hooked on cruising! But there was of course the belly flop contest, the newlywed game WITH THE SAME QUESTIONS, the horse derby thing...ect. Some new along with the old would be nice.

You make a good point.

However, on land, we have more options. There are literally hundreds of restaurants within our local area. Even our favorite restaurant has over 50 items on their regular menu, plus daily specials that are always changing. We could eat out every day for a year, and not repeat the same meal. If we crave variety or change of scenery, there are plenty of options. Same with entertainment venues - multiple options and changing acts make it possible to see more of a variety without it getting tired or old over time.

We're also tired of the same old Eastern/Western ports. It's thrilling to us that Mariner is going over to the west coast, and Adventure has added new ports to both of its itineraries! We'll be seeking out those ships in the future, however the cost of airfare might be prohibitive (we cancelled a cruise on AOS for this summer because the cost of airfare was almost as much as the cruisefare.)

Maybe we're a bit spoiled living in a suburb of a large city, and therefore having access to a variety different choices. We LOVE the Royal Caribbean product, and will continue to sail with them, but we crave variety from time to time.

I hear you, well, read you. But I can guarantee you that you could sail for a year on various cruise lines without having to repeat things entertainment wise.

Sure restaurants have generally a larger variety but they do have the advantage of ordering daily if they feel like and don't have to mass feed 3000 people daily for a whole week all day long.

The food you eat on a cruise ship was ordered 6 to 12 month ahead of time. Otherwise they couldn't handle these masses. To spice things up, increase the menu or make more frequent changes they have to

a) increase the price (since they couldn't ordered mass quantities a year ahead)

b) increase pax access to food. That means kitchens are closed at a certain time since they probably start cooking all night long to accomedate a larger menu

I highly doubt that anybody would want an increase in price.

To increase the menu and have variety cruise lines created specialty restaurants. And that of course comes with a price tag.

In regards to entertainment: every time you visit the same place you have repeat entertainment. It is cost efficient. Heck the electrical parade at Disney is literally unchanged for several decades now.

It is just one of the down falls if you repeat as a customer.

Ports: on that I am with you. RCI needs to change things up. I am not particular a port person. Give me a ship and I am happy. But having the option to say one day "hey, I haven't been there yet. Let me check it out" would be nice.

Of course RCI is my cruise line so it is more obvious to me. I really like to have a comment from a Carnival cruiser or Princess cruiser on how often they change ports on yearly basis. Not just someone who has been on Carnival or Princess but someone like me who cruises exclusively RCI I like to hear from someone who exclusively cruises Carnival or Princess several times a year.

The southern Caribbean itinerary has a couple ports added which is good.

But overall, if one seeks change of food, entertainment and ports you have to switch cruise lines once in a while just like you would switch restaurants (from steakhouse to italian to BBQ).

For me its not about the fixed entertainment. Its about the repeat jokes, game show questions, trivia questions,top 10 questions, etc. How hard could it be for a "professional" entertainer to come up with some new jokes or questions.

For me its not about the fixed entertainment. Its about the repeat jokes, game show questions, trivia questions,top 10 questions, etc. How hard could it be for a "professional" entertainer to come up with some new jokes or questions.

That I can agree with. I was focused more on the bigger entertainment.

I totally agree.

And FL Cruiser, you are probably right too - I bet the other lines don't mix up their itineraries, menus or entertainment that much either. That's why most people jump cruiselines when they want to try something different.

I totally agree.

And FL Cruiser, you are probably right too - I bet the other lines don't mix up their itineraries, menus or entertainment that much either. That's why most people jump cruiselines when they want to try something different.

DonnaK - going back to your earlier post about canceling a cruise out of SJU because of high airfare, did you look at JetBlue?

From Lawnnng Island, shouldn't be bad.

Archived