Not to do formal wear

Kathy130

What if we choose for one cruise to not bring formal wear for the formal nights. Could we wear "regular" or nicer than regular, but not formal wear and still get into the dining room? Or if we choose to do Sabatini's that night, could it be "good" capris...dressier top and still be fine?

just got back from the island princess, and we did formal in sbaitinis as well as bayou. My understanding is the buffet is the only place you can be out of formal. On our 4th formal night we had pizza at poolside with fires. It was awesome, we got back late from excusion and i just didn't want to do it up again. No worries though, you'll figure it out when you're there.:)

Men are requested to wear a tux or a dark suit to formal nights. If you don't want to, you have a choice of the buffet in Horizon Court or room service (limited if not in a suite).

We just returned from the Grand British Isles Cruise.

Formal Dress Code in the first Patter

"Men should wear dark suits".

No mention of Tuxes ????

Appears that the Dress Code varies by Ship:confused:

You have missed quite a few debates on this very subject. It seems every couple of weeks the subject comes up.

What if we choose for one cruise to not bring formal wear for the formal nights. Could we wear "regular" or nicer than regular, but not formal wear and still get into the dining room? Or if we choose to do Sabatini's that night, could it be "good" capris...dressier top and still be fine?

All of the dining areas except the buffet follow the dining code for the night. ;)

That seems to depend on the ship. In February on The Golden when signing up for specialty restaurants we were told that The Desert Rose and Sabatinis were resort casual on all nights.

Mike:)

On our 4th formal night we had pizza at poolside with fires. It was awesome, we got back late from excusion and i just didn't want to do it up again. :)

Hey Gypsy Girl!

Could you elaborate on the "fires"? I'm imagining a nice fire pit, but doubt that's what you mean!

TIA!

We have done the tux/gown on formal night, but also a nice shirt/slacks (men) and I wore a skirt and top (not formal) in the dining room on formal nights. On both the Carib and Crown Princess we had no problem and didn't feel out of place since we were not the only ones not in full formal garb.

Go and enjoy!! Formalwear is not mandatory.

We have done the tux/gown on formal night, but also a nice shirt/slacks (men) and I wore a skirt and top (not formal) in the dining room on formal nights. On both the Carib and Crown Princess we had no problem and didn't feel out of place since we were not the only ones not in full formal garb.

Go and enjoy!! Formalwear is not mandatory.

Even though I love participating in formal night, I've noticed more and more people on RCI ships who are dressed nicely but not necessarily formally in the main dining room on formal night. It is no longer necessary to avoid the dining room, in fact, if you tell your wait team that you won't be there on formal night because you don't feel like dressing up, they will encourage you to attend anyway.

Great........thanks for all the good responses. We've ALWAYS done the whole formal night, and the fam just discussed having a break from that. We have no problem eating in the buffet that night, but this way, still looking nicely dressed, we'll choose either way. Thanks.

Unfortunately, more and more folks are buying into the "anything goes" philosophy of dressing. Over the last couple of years on Princess, we have noticed more people wearing casual clothes - even jeans and sneakers - on formal nights in the dining room. You will probably not be turned away but keep in mind that "suggested" is really a polite way of saying "preferred."

I know that this may not be a popular opinion with everyone. What next - shorts and baseball caps on formal night? Just got off a 14-day Alaskan cruise where a passenger wore his bedroom slippers to the evening show.:)

I think you'll be fine in "nicer than regular" clothes. You'll see all sorts...from ball gowns (some really over the top IMHO), to cocktail dresses, nice skirts/pants & tops.

Enjoy!

Great........thanks for all the good responses. We've ALWAYS done the whole formal night, and the fam just discussed having a break from that. We have no problem eating in the buffet that night, but this way, still looking nicely dressed, we'll choose either way. Thanks.

We sailed the CB in June and dining in both speciality restaurants on the formal nights. Formal dress was not required on those nights - resort casual was the the code in both those restaurants. You will be fine dining there.

We sailed the CB in June and dining in both speciality restaurants on the formal nights. Formal dress was not required on those nights - resort casual was the the code in both those restaurants. You will be fine dining there.
Same for us in Sterling on the CB earlier this year. Nice dress shirt and slacks but no jacket required.

Les

I'm in the same boat (so to speak :D ). DH almost fainted when I asked him if he wanted to skip bringing formal clothes this time, but he agreed. I just don't want to deal with lugging all that stuff from the Caribbean to Alaska. It's enough that I have to take warm clothes that are completely foreign to me :p . We've always dressed nicely on non-formal nights, so that's what we're taking for every night. We'll play it by ear whether we go to the DR (anytime) or stick to the buffet. And I think we won't be alone, from what I've been reading lately!

<putting on flameproof suit> ;)

Two years ago on a cruise to the Baltic we had so many clothes to accomdate formal night that it took up a full suitcase. On our next cruise to the Mediterranean I plan to bring only a dark blue blazer. This I can wear with tan pants, dark brown loafers, white shirt and tie; which can also be worn other than on formal nights. With the new weight restrictions, I plan only one suitcase and a backpack carrry-on and DW plans the same.

I know that this may not be a popular opinion with everyone. What next - shorts and baseball caps on formal night? Just got off a 14-day Alaskan cruise where a passenger wore his bedroom slippers to the evening show.:)

I would have assumed the slippers were because of a bunion or some similar condition made it more comfortable for this passenger. We just don't know so lets assume the best, not the worst in people.

Archived