Voyager dropping Progresso?

I've been out of the loop and haven't read the boards in a long time. I just noticed that the Voyager out of Galveston isn't going to Progresso in 2010. I'm disappointed as we loved the Yucatan. Does anyone know why?

There sure is not much in Progresso.

We go to Merida when we go to Progresso for a port-of-call.

Merida is a wonderful city.

We usually do that cruise each January, so, I must find out

about Progresso.

Thanks for the "heads up".

Sorry to hear they are dropping Progresso. We are on the VOS in February and that is the last port. I did enjoy our visit as it is still a port untouched (or at least was) by the DI shops and their ilk. Maybe that is why they are leaving - not enough shore shops and trips that kickback money to RCI. When we go to Costa Maya (February port also), we make a break for the local village although I am hearing that the big boys are moving in there also. It was a quaint village and we loved it. Ah progress :p

My first guess (and this is only a guess), is that they are modifying many itineraries to save fuel. In other words, ports that are closer together and minimal cruising hours at "flank speed" to get to the next port... just a thought.

LL

what is on the new itinerary. I am surprised that they dont go into Belize.
The itinerary that we did this past January was Costa Maya, Cozumel, Roatan and Progresso. We missed Costa Maya because of the destruction of the pier during the hurricane. For 2009, we're booked to go to those same 4 ports. Last night I booked 2010 on the Voyager, got the confirmation and noticed Progresso was not listed. We loved shoppng in Merida (just down the road from Progresso) and were blown away with the Mayan embroidery and textiles. Let's cross our fingers that the price of oil drops and that RCI will pick up that port again.

My first guess (and this is only a guess), is that they are modifying many itineraries to save fuel. In other words, ports that are closer together and minimal cruising hours at "flank speed" to get to the next port... just a thought.

LL

For some reason the Voyager has 4 ports on the Galveston cruises this coming winter but only 3 ports next winter. It has been that way ever since the schedule for next winter came out quite a few months ago.

I'd much rather have 4 ports than 3.

For some reason the Voyager has 4 ports on the Galveston cruises this coming winter but only 3 ports next winter. It has been that way ever since the schedule for next winter came out quite a few months ago.

I'd much rather have 4 ports than 3.

I agree. We also missed Costa Maya in January because of storm damage to the port. I wanted to go to the fishing village, but it wasn't to be. Three ports was fine for this cruise, but now it looks like another sea day at 9 knots is the permanent plan.

LL

Personally, I'll be happier to spend more time at Costa Maya and wont be bothered at all about missing Progreso. When we were there in February the locals said that fewer ships were going to be coming in. I'm surprised that we're even going back in 2009. One of the main reasons is that it's dangerous navigating out of the port at night. The local port authority really wants the ships to be gone by 5.30. I doubt that it's a fuel related issue as much as safety. The discussion about dropping it was before the price of fuel went up. I'm sure the locals in Costa Maya would rather have us for a full day than half a day too. JMHO

Every minute those ships are at a dock, they are paying port fees, so I was surprised that they were doing 4 ports on some 7 days. For the most part, RCCL 7 day cruises out of Galveston have done 3 ports per sailing. The 4 port cruises were the exception. So now they're back to the norm.

Having said that, we enjoyed Progresso both times we were there.

it's dangerous navigating out of the port at night. JMHO

We were there on Voyager this past April and as we were returning to the ship a vicious wind came up really churning the shallow water to a froth. We were late leaving, why i don't know, but, he stayed singled up for a long time. We were in an aft cabin on deck 9, and when she finally left, as soon as the stern cleared the dock she went to "full speed". The propellers were actually churning up solid bottom material and that ship tore out of that shallow water.

The channel is not straight and it appeared to me that the captain was trying to avoid the wind blowing the ship onto the shallow bottom around the channel.

Maybe she's not going there for safety reasons?? Wasn't a fun port anyway (for us) We went to the "yawn" Uxmal (sp) ruins. Lousy tour guide, lousy box lunch, great bus ride. Still was the second best cruise of them all, and certainly not as bad as Alaska.

We were there on Voyager this past April and as we were returning to the ship a vicious wind came up really churning the shallow water to a froth. We were late leaving, why i don't know, but, he stayed singled up for a long time. We were in an aft cabin on deck 9, and when she finally left, as soon as the stern cleared the dock she went to "full speed". The propellers were actually churning up solid bottom material and that ship tore out of that shallow water.

The channel is not straight and it appeared to me that the captain was trying to avoid the wind blowing the ship onto the shallow bottom around the channel.

Maybe she's not going there for safety reasons?? Wasn't a fun port anyway (for us) We went to the "yawn" Uxmal (sp) ruins. Lousy tour guide, lousy box lunch, great bus ride. Still was the second best cruise of them all, and certainly not as bad as Alaska.

I totally understand what you're saying...we were in 9390. BTW, beware of the pax in the cabin beside you....the people in the cabin beside us jumped the barrier on the outside of the ship and they 'borrowed' our balcony chairs! They sure we're having fun..I'm glad that no one fell overboard. On another note, I would love to have Progreso dropped totally from the itinerary in 2009.

We went there this past March, our second visit. First time did Chichen Itza (lousy box lunch- I agree, and too many in the group). This time- Uxmal, booked through Autoprogreso for just our family. We had a wonderful tour guide, and went to a local restaurant near the ruins for a truly delicious lunch. I love this stop- it is authentic Yucatan, at least as compared to other areas and not as commercialized. I hate to see it dropped.

We went there this past March, our second visit. First time did Chichen Itza (lousy box lunch- I agree, and too many in the group). This time- Uxmal, booked through Autoprogreso for just our family. We had a wonderful tour guide, and went to a local restaurant near the ruins for a truly delicious lunch. I love this stop- it is authentic Yucatan, at least as compared to other areas and not as commercialized. I hate to see it dropped.

Booking a tour of these ruins off the ship is probably what we should have done.

If we could have understood what the tour guide was saying ( his English was BAD), or withstood his constant reminding us of the the fact that he was of Myan ancestory, yada yada, then it would have been better I'm sure. Interesting ruins nonetheless.

They are going back to Costa Maya. We are booked for a B2B in January 2010 and I noticed that Costa Maya is back on the itinerary. We did the Birds, Pirates and Monkeys of the Caribbean in Progresso and that was a tour I would have love to go on again. I am also sorry to hear that Progresso is off the list.

6 of us booked a private van into Merida through Yucatan Travel. We had an outstanding tour and a fabulous lunch at an authentic Yucatan restaurant. We're anxious to go back in '09. There were 20 of us in all and others also had a fabulous time on the tour they booked through the ship. I asked what it was and here is the reply: "The tour was "Discover the Yucatan and the Mayan World". We saw small ruins, Xcambo, with outbuildings and a church-like structure that has been used recently it looked like - open air. We were taken to a Mayan cemetery that is above ground crypts painted in bright colors, then to the home of some Mayans - then to a Catholic cathedral in the main square of Dzemul where they served us lunch and the kids danced. They took us back to town and told us we could stop at the Progreso Marketplace and come back on the free shuttle but we decided to come back to the ship. It was $68 a person and included the lunch. We were supposed to see flamingo but they weren't in the pond although there were lots of cranes and other large birds there." We'd consider the above tour for our '09 cruise but I really do want to go back to Merida for more pillowcases, quilts, etc. We love new adventures and also hate to see it dropped. I'm sure it's many combined factors plus the pier is not lighted so the ship has to pull out early.

• 4 weeks later...

Somthing similar happened to us in Progreso in Jan. I agree that the channel is narrow and shallow....not worth the risk to the ship.

I know this thread is about Progreso, but I am curious as to why your Alaska cruise was not good. We are considering Alaska (never been) in lieu of another Caribbean cruise ..... I have read mixed reviews of Alaska, and wonder what your experience was there? Thanks

Not sure when it was announced but just noticed Progresso has been dropped for 2009 too. Looks like Voyager is staying in Costa Maya for an extra couple of hours.

I was reading this thread thinking it didn't apply to me since our cruise is 2/09 and Progress is (was!) listed as a port. I just checked and it has been removed! Yikes! One of the reasons we chose this cruise was because we hadn't been to Progresso. Fortunately, we are always up for an extra sea day but I am disappointed to have missed out.

Somthing similar happened to us in Progreso in Jan. I agree that the channel is narrow and shallow....not worth the risk to the ship.

I know this thread is about Progreso, but I am curious as to why your Alaska cruise was not good. We are considering Alaska (never been) in lieu of another Caribbean cruise ..... I have read mixed reviews of Alaska, and wonder what your experience was there? Thanks

It was a combination of things, really. It was our first (and last) Alaska cruise. It was my wife's idea and she was really looking forward to it. The problems were not with the ship (Vision) or crew, but was more about the rude and inconsiderate passengers we encountered. A rather older and heaver (no flames please) crowd than we are used to. These folks hogged the tables in the Windjammer even when they were not eating. This buffet is probably the best venue for watching the sceneiry (sp) as it has lots of glass and tables all the way around and is out of the weather. No one could find a place to sit to eat which was what we wanted to do. We would be outside to catch the views as photography through a dirty window is not my cup of tea.

The excursions were OK, tho the whale watching was a bust (probably the time of year) as all we saw were some blows and that was it. The return flights got all fouled up and we got back home a day later than planned.

I guess the biggest thing was the disappointment in my wife's face after the whole thing was over. It was a check mark on her bucket list that got only half a check.

Again, RCCL did their part, the ship and crew were good as expected.

Alaska cruising is more a laid back style. The atmosphere was rather mute and not the party time we have come to expect on Caribbean cruises. Nobody's fault but out own. Still I recommend an Alaska cruise to those who want to see that beautiful state. There are other ways to see it other than on a 2000 pax ship, tho'. There are some small ship (boats really) cruises with 20 or so pax and that might be better for us. Something to consider.

Thanks for asking, and to those who know this is off topic here...my apologies.

Archived