What is My Time Dining...

Lany

Thanks for this link. I only heard about this the other day here on cc. I personally despise the NCL Freestyle thing as it doesn't work well with large groups. I'm glad to see that RCI is making it an option and not the rule....hopefully it works and everyone will be happy. For me, I'll stick with my set dining time...same table, same staff, etc.

Thanks for this link. I only heard about this the other day here on cc. I personally despise the NCL Freestyle thing as it doesn't work well with large groups. I'm glad to see that RCI is making it an option and not the rule....hopefully it works and everyone will be happy. For me, I'll stick with my set dining time...same table, same staff, etc.

We loved Freestyle, but we were just 2 and avoided the dining room. Loved the varierty of specalty restaurants and were able to make reservations, but as I said we were just 2.

We loved Freestyle, but we were just 2 and avoided the dining room. Loved the varierty of specalty restaurants and were able to make reservations, but as I said we were just 2.

I think for two people or small groups it would be fine, but we always travel over Thanksgiving with large groups and if that's the only option, it doesn't work since there are lots of large groups on those sailings. The other thing I really didn't care for was that you don't have the same waitstaff and we felt like the service was lacking since they don't really get to know you and their tips are already pre-paid. Just my opinion though...if you like it and it works for you, then great! That's why I said I was glad to see RCI trying it out as an option and not a rule.

We picked My Time Dining on the Jewel a month ago......when it first came out on that ship.

It met all of our expectations!!

There are several threads that discuss My Time Dining!! I think a few have been mentioned above.

We will choose My Time Dining again in the future!!

Rick

There is talk. :)

In fact, RCI has indicated on several occasions that they intend to extend it to the rest of the fleet by the end of the year. They have not as yet provided a definite schedule as to when it will be introduced on each of the remaining ships in the fleet but I believe that Independence of the Seas is the next ship scheduled to offer this dining option.

In fact, RCI has indicated on several occasions that they intend to extend it to the rest of the fleet by the end of the year. They have not as yet provided a definite schedule as to when it will be introduced on each of the remaining ships in the fleet but I believe that Independence of the Seas is the next ship scheduled to offer this dining option.

Bill, it is being offered now on the Independence.

Yes, it is. :)

OUR FABULOUS DINING EXPERIENCE

Is now more flexible.

Now that you've reserved your cruise, how about enjoying some freedom of choice in your dinner options. On select ships and sailings+, we're featuring My Time DiningSM** in our Main Dining Room.

This great new option allows you more flexibility to plan your daily activities. Want to linger awhile at the pool and catch the day's last rays? No problem. Worked up an appetite on a shore excursion and want to dine early? Done. Our My Time DiningSM option is all about convenience and flexibility. You can choose to dine between 6:00 and 9:30 pm each evening. In addition, we will accept reservations once onboard the ship.

Ready to reserve? If you've reserved through a Certified Vacation Planner or on the web simply call (800) 590-6218 or email openseating@rccl.com (please include your reservation number and the number of guests in your party.)** If you've reserved through a travel agent please contact them directly.

Here's some additional information to keep in mind:

Dinner is served in the Main Dining Room

Same menu as traditional seating

Same impeccable service as traditional seating

Must pre-pay gratuities to participate - this includes tips for your waiter, assistant waiter, head waiter and stateroom attendant

Guests will not receive a table assignment or permanent table mates

You will have the ability to request a certain waiter (subject to availability)

My Time Dining waiters share their gratuities amongst the other My Time Dining waiters; feel free to reward your waiter with an extra tip for providing excellent service

You will be seated with the party you arrive with; you can request to be seated with other guests or alone

To provide you with a smooth, non-disruptive meal, once dinner service begins for your table, no additional guests will be seated

Reservations are recommended in order to avoid a delay in seating (reservations will be taken once onboard)

When reserving your cruise, you will need to provide your reservation number and the number of guests participating in the My Time DiningSM option

Offer is subject to availability

+Available on the following ships and dates:

Brilliance of the Seas

February 22 - December 21, 2008

Freedom of the Seas

October 15, 2007 - December 28, 2008

Serenade of the Seas

March 8 - December 27, 2008

Jewel of the Seas

June 16, 2008 - December 29, 2008

Radiance of the Seas

June 20, 2008 - December 20, 2008

Independence of the Seas

July 26, 2008 - December 27, 2008

** My Time DiningSM is subject to availability, you must prepay your gratuities to participate, and for group reservations My Time DiningSM is only available for groups of 20 or less.

** My Time DiningSM is subject to availability, you must prepay your gratuities to participate, and for group reservations My Time DiningSM is only available for groups of 20 or less.

This makes total sense to me - - as a former restaurant manager and server.

Tipping this way (by prepaying your gratuities) ensures that all servers are paid equally for the cruise - something very attractive to the staff, I'm sure.

I do not think that this will HINDER service, as it's always a good idea for anyone in the service industry to give it 110% so that they

1) keep their job

2) may garner that extra cash tip

3) may garner a letter or word of commendation to their supervisor

If you happen to get less than good service, take it up with the server AND the head waiter right then and there - - not days later or (worse yet) never saying anything and then coming on here and b*&ching about the poor service.

Letting someone know ASAP that your experience was not up to par and backing up your complaints with specific concrete reasons is the only way that the server will improve. They have to have something constructive that they can work on to improve.

I like the concept - and like that most lines are seemingly trying to integrate it WITH the "traditional" set dining times (I think the integration - if done successfully - of offering BOTH styles will be a HUGE asset to the more "traditional" lines and may even switch over some diehard NCL'ers to try other lines if they can get their meals when, where, and with whom they want).

I am a big fan of choice, and truly think that if given enough "trial and error" that the lines will be able to successfully give everyone what they want, when they want, and how they want

(well, except for those trolls who live to complain... I think the lines should feed them happy meals in their rooms each night and keep them away from the "normal" people who enjoy and understand that they are ON VACATION! :D .... but that is a whole 'nother topic entirely!)

Archived