Crown Princess

gtidan

My wife and I are considering a cruise on this ship in early January, 2008 and were hoping some cruisers here might be able to give us a mini review of the ship. We understand it's one of their newest. The cruise in question is in the Eastern Caribbean.

Anyone been to Grand Turk? And your impressions? We're not divers but like to shop and view it all from the beach. 68 and 69 years old respectively.

This will be our sixth cruise so the basics we can do without. More concerned with the service and food with any additional information appreciated.

Our past experience with RCCL was very good. We sailed on the Empress of the Seas and enjoyed every moment in spite of the fact it's one of their oldest ships.

Dan and Kim

You can email us if you wish at: Gtidan2@sbcglobal.net

My wife and I are considering a cruise on this ship in early January, 2008 and were hoping some cruisers here might be able to give us a mini review of the ship. We understand it's one of their newest. The cruise in question is in the Eastern Caribbean.

Anyone been to Grand Turk? And your impressions? We're not divers but like to shop and view it all from the beach. 68 and 69 years old respectively.

This will be our sixth cruise so the basics we can do without. More concerned with the service and food with any additional information appreciated.

Our past experience with RCCL was very good. We sailed on the Empress of the Seas and enjoyed every moment in spite of the fact it's one of their oldest ships.

Dan and Kim

You can email us if you wish at: Gtidan2@sbcglobal.net

We have sailed the Crown 3 times,

Grand Turk is more of a beach/snorkel/dive location.

Very very limited on shopping, mostly little kiosks at the pier.

The ship is fantastic, excellent service/food and atmosphere, she is only 2 years old. :)

I felt the service i nhe main DR could of been better but i switch table and a great waiter. He got me whatever i wanted. i found in general the food in all DR's needed to be hoter. i hate cold food.

The adult pool area was wonderful. i have been on the Crown twice as I like the ports out of SJ. I got a mini suite- had a good room stewart.

shows were ones i saw in 07. princess does not chage out their shows fast enough. the stand up comics were good.

Dan and Kim

Excellent choice!!!!

The Crown Princess is a beautiful and well maintained ship.

Taken your age -

you'll like the activities they have aboard.

Several lounge areas, great entertainment.

“The Sanctuary”. The adults only deck, has very comfortable lounge chairs and is covered by a canopy which allows passengers to find a shady, relaxing spot away from the crowd.

Grand Turk is nice. There are little shops right at the port.

You can take a tour of the island or just sit and relax on the beach or by the pool which is located right at the dock.

Food quality was excellent and the service is outstanding.

I was on the Crown in May and enjoyed it very much. I had read that the layout made it difficult to get around, but we did not find that to be true. It's like any other ship. Once you get the lay of the land, it's easy. Food and service were very good. If you wish to have lunch in the dining room on sea days, however, get to the dining room very early. They only have one open for lunch and the lines are very long to get in.

As far as Grand Turk is concerned, it is one of the ugliest islands I have ever seen. We took the hop-on-hop-off bus. There is really nothing to see. It is flat, dusty and unattractive. Stay at the Margaritaville pool. It is the nicest place in town.

Just got off the Crown a couple of days ago. I generally loved the ship and thought the food and entertainment very good. Cabin was nice as well, bigger than my previous one on Royal Caribbean.

However I didn't like the big screen (Movie under the Stars) by one of the swimming pools, blaring out all day even when it's far too sunny to see the picture. Coffee in the cafes and restaurants was pretty disgusting as well. It could also do with an indoor pool but these are only miner gripes really.

There are two excellent venues you might enjoy. If you're oenophiles (is that correct?) Vines is available as a separate wine bar.

Then there's my favorite: the International Cafe with good brewed and specialty coffees. Also, pastries, late afternoon tapas, and irresistable gelato. There's a moderate charge of 50c for a LARGE scoop, but it's definitely worthwhile.

The previous poster is correct about coffee in the buffet and dining rooms. It's made from an absolutely vile syrup base. Oddly, the dining room coffee is a bit better than the buffet.

There is fresh brewed coffee available, $1 cup, in most of the lounge bars and the aforementioned Int'l Cafe.

You can purchase a "coffee card". It's a comparative bargain, especially if you like specialty coffees.

Brewed coffee is $1.00/cup, most specialty coffees are $3.00, espresso $2.50.

$25 (+ gratuity) buys you a coffee card with fifteen punch outs for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the Cafe and other bars that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not tme limited. If there are punchouts remaining at the end of the cruise the card can carry over to the next cruise.

There's an aft Terrace pool on Riviera deck which is usually uncrowded. It is a good location for port sailaways, as well as a quiet venue to relax and swim. The area is terraced between Lido and Riviera decks. The Lido level has bar service, Outrigger, and can be accessed either thru Cafe Caribe or the Riviera deck access door.

A previous poster mentioned the "Sanctuary" for adults. I haven't used it, but it is reportedly quiet, secluded and comfortable. There is a charge: in January '08 it was $15 p/half day.

Have been on the crown 3 times and loved it all three.

Grand Turk is defiently a kick back and just relax day. My husband and I found a little resort and visited it twice. You should take a taxi into town, may be too hot and too long a walk. The name of the resort is the Osprey you can sit on their patio and watch the ocean and sip cold drinks. There is a stairway onto the beach to walk or collect shells. I know we will visit when we get back to Grand Turk again. If you are looking for a nice relaxed and quiet afternoon that is the ticket. Enjoy!!!

Archived