Liquor inspection

m steve

We haven't sail NCL in several years but the short Bahamas cruise sounded interesting. I read on other threads that NCL xrays all bags and removes any liquor packed inside. Is this true? We like our afternoon cocktails on the balcony and this would prfeclude us from sailing with them. Any info would be appreciated. Actual experience rather than "I heards". Thanks

yep..your bag will be xrayd and if liquor is suspected you will get a letter in your room telling you to go to the naughty room to retrieve your luggage. Once there they will ask you to open your suitcase and they will remove your bottle and give it back to you at the end of the cruise.

Buy the bar set up. You can do that by calling NCL.

Happy cruising.:)

We haven't sail NCL in several years but the short Bahamas cruise sounded interesting. I read on other threads that NCL xrays all bags and removes any liquor packed inside. Is this true? We like our afternoon cocktails on the balcony and this would prfeclude us from sailing with them. Any info would be appreciated. Actual experience rather than "I heards". Thanks

Well, I just came back from the first Bahamas cruise. I was told they have a hard time spotting boxes of wine in your luggage. So I bought a box and put it in my carry on. I figured if they had a problem with it they would let me know. Not a word, they just waived me through. The guy behind me though did have a bottle and it was taken from him. I figured if they found it the worst that could happen was them take it away from me or ask me to pay a "corkage" fee. Just how do you pay a corkage fee when a box of wine has no cork? LOL!

Funny thing is we never even opened it. We were given a free bottle of champagne in our room, still have NO idea how that got there, a free bottle of wine with dinner, and free wine for all last night of the cruise. So, I only wound up buying a bloody mary, a spiked coffee, 1 glass of champagne, and 2 pina coladas. :cool:

Msteve: Is your question regarding whether or not NCL is more diligent in enforcing rules which are pretty much the same for all cruiselines? You must like your "afternoon cocktails" an awful lot to preclude NCL for that reason only. Splurge and get the setup.

I'd love to have a bottle or two set up for us, but is there a particular number or department that we need to contact at NCL?

Also, do they also give you glasses? Is there an ice machine on each floor like in a hotel? The usual details...

Thanks!

ee

no ice machines...the room stewards will fill the ice bucket twice a day, if you need more: the buffet. glasses near the ice bucket.

to the OP: all the cruise ships xray the luggage, not just NCL. just read the boards for the other cruiselines.

We like our afternoon cocktails on the balcony and this would prfeclude us from sailing with them. Any info would be appreciated. Actual experience rather than "I heards". Thanks

I've sailed NCL several times and have been called to the 'naughty room' once (they saw the shape of bottles and suspected alcohol, not the pepsi that was in them). If the possiblity of having booze held could ruin your enjoyment of the cruise---it could happen so you should either look into a bar setup or not cruise NCL.

(BTW-NCL will not open your baggage-If the xray shows 'suspected alcohol' they'll notify you where the baggage is and you will open it to show them the contents)

JMO

NCL does seem over-zealous with the liquor policy, but i have heard some other lines are just as bad.

It's hot-or-miss; sometimes many people report being searched and other times not so many. We went on Majesty with a box of wine and several rumrunners in checked bags - all got through. I had a carryon that was filled to the brim with bottles of soda and it went through the x-ray with nary a word.

Other people I have talked to had their booze taken.

FYI - at the ports of call, there is usually little enforcement of the liquor policy. The exception is ports which are known for liquor sales, like St. Thomas. Also, if you wait until the last minute to return to the ship, anyone manning the liquor collection desk will probably be off-shift by that time.

So far luck has been with us. We do usually order a bar set up, but still bring on some wine: in our luggage, not carry on. When we have done the carry on bottles we have been ushered to the pay table a couple of times, gone through a couple other times.

To order a bar set-up email groupeventscoordinatorxxx@ncl.com. They will get back to you in a short time with prices, etc.

As for not sailing a ship because of liqour policies, this would never occur to me. I may not be happy, but certainly would not give up on a cruise line because of this. Most lines are cracking down more all the time. One of my clients was told a few weeks ago, HAL will kick you off the ship if you are foung to have booze in your cabin you did not purchase through them. I do not beleive this for a second.

Nita

Depending on what it is that you are bringing aboard, you may want to consider bringing your own and paying the $15 corkage fee.

I like Moet Chandon (White Star). I also own a liquor store, so my wholesale cost per bottle is $27.63 (my retail price to customers is only $31.99). So for me $27.63+$15 = $42.63. I believe the onboard price per bottle of Moet is around $85 (I may be off by a couple/few bucks) - so you do end up saving a good amount of money.

On the other hand, if you are drinking something less expensive a $15 corkage fee might drive the cost of the bottle you purchase at retail up much closer to onboard prices, so why bother with it?

PS: As others have said, all cruise lines x-ray your bags looking for liquor. Sometimes they find it, sometimes they don't. If you want to smuggle liquor onboard, assume they will find it - and if they don't it's an "added bonus" for you. ;)

Is there a limit on how large the bottle can be to pay a single corkage fee? For instance, can I bring a gallon bottle of Riunite Lambrusco onboard and just pay the $15 corkage fee? What about if I bring a 2.5 liter(?) box of wine with me? Do I only have to pay the single corkage fee of $15?

next door neighbor came back from a RCCL cruise to Alaska..he

had several bottle s taken aboard with no problem s..

when the cabin attendant came in he asked him to remove the contents

of the fridge..gave him $10..and ask d that the ice bucket be full at

all time s..another $10 at the end of the cruise..

my wife has another method of getting liquor onboard..she make s jello

block s, using gin or vodka..last 3 day cruise..NO FRIDGE :confused: ..our son

and his GF took about half of the jello blocks and between the 3 of them

down d a qt. of gin..:eek:

We have been on 11 cruises--never NCL--and have never had a problem with taking wine on the ship in our carry-ons, either at our original boarding or at ports of call. Taking wine away from adults is absurd.

We will take our first NCL cruise in September. If they take our wine away it will be our last NCL cruise, just on general principles.

Has anybody had personal experience with taking wine on board in Seattle, specifically at the Bell Street Pier?

We have been on 11 cruises--never NCL--and have never had a problem with taking wine on the ship in our carry-ons, either at our original boarding or at ports of call. Taking wine away from adults is absurd.

We will take our first NCL cruise in September. If they take our wine away it will be our last NCL cruise, just on general principles.

Has anybody had personal experience with taking wine on board in Seattle, specifically at the Bell Street Pier?

If they find it they may ask you to pay the corkage fee. If you refuse, they'll take it away and return it at the end of the cruise. If that bothers you, you probably should not book NCL in the future.

NCL might be the only line which does not permit you to bring wine on board -- their fares are relatively low, so they try to make up for them by a nickel here and a dime there -

NCL might be the only line which does not permit you to bring wine on board -- their fares are relatively low, so they try to make up for them by a nickel here and a dime there -

You seem to be mis-informed. NCL does permit you to take wine aboard...you have to pay the corkage fee if requested though.

I have the list. If anyone would like a copy, please e-mail me at exhibits @ ix.netcom. com Just leave out the extra spaces.

Their least expensive Cabernet, which happens to be a very good one (Columbia Crest Grand Estates), is $25, which is a decent price. I can buy it at Safeway with my Club Card for $8.99 per bottle, which works out to be $23.99 when you add the silly corkage fee.

Maybe I should see if I can find some great Two Buck Chuck, which would bring the total price to $17.99 per bottle, including the corkage fee. We actually got a few cases of amazing Two Buck Chuck last fall for our trip to Whistler and for our Christmas party, but I haven't checked it out lately.

Here in Seattle, people will often go into TJ's, buy one bottle, go out in the parking lot and taste it, and, if it is really good, go back in and buy a whole case, or two. Sometimes it is really very good wine. We found the same sort of deal in Australia, but there it is called No Name Wine.

Maybe I should see if I can find some great Two Buck Chuck, which would bring the total price to $17.99 per bottle, including the corkage fee. We actually got a few cases of amazing Two Buck Chuck last fall for our trip to Whistler and for our Christmas party, but I haven't checked it out lately.

Good idea, and I agree, some of their wines are pretty good. AND there is a chance they'll just wave you thru without the corkage fee anyhow.

I hope you enjoy your cruise! If you haven't sailed Alaska b4, you're in for a treat! (and if you have cruised Alaska, you already know it'll be good!)

Good idea, and I agree, some of their wines are pretty good. AND there is a chance they'll just wave you thru without the corkage fee anyhow.

I hope you enjoy your cruise! If you haven't sailed Alaska b4, you're in for a treat! (and if you have cruised Alaska, you already know it'll be good!)

I think when you consider the price for a bottle of fair qualtiy of wine, Two buck Chuck even with the $15 corkage fee isn't all that bad. Here we have found a $2.50 wine called Oak Creek, again similar to Chuck and in some places where they have Albertsons there is "golden Gate" that goes on sale for about $3. None of these would be what you would want to offer the boss when you have him for dinner, but they work fine for just a glass before dinner.

Nita

Archived