Bemuda - things to do?

Wife and I are very fair skinned and enjoy traveling and shopping but are not really sand and beach people. Are there other thinks to do there other than lounge on the beach? Thanks in advance.

Wife and I are very fair skinned and enjoy traveling and shopping but are not really sand and beach people. Are there other thinks to do there other than lounge on the beach? Thanks in advance.

Swizzle Inn for a delicious drink, Gibbs Hill Lighthouse for a wonderful view, Shopping at King's Wharf (pick up a rum cake and visit the glass blowing studio). The list goes on and on.

I too am fair skinned and not a huge beach person.

With that said, I 2nd the glass blowing studio in Kings Wharf.

Hamilton has shopping...it was nice, but wasn't my favorite. I much preferred St. George - had much more character in my opinion.

I am big into lighthouses. I would go for Gibb's Hill Lighthouse. It is one of the ones that is open for you to climb. It was a very enjoyable place to go for us. We also very much enjoyed Crystal and Fantasy Caves.

I forgot to mention.. St Gerge's is a short drive from Hamilton, so even if the ship doesn't dock there its easy to drive to.

I believe we got a taxi for a flat rate which gave us more info on the culture. We also had a good amt of time in the shopping area.

I second the Swizzle Inn, as well as a stroll through the shops at Dockyard's Clocktower Mall!

Let me add a few more to the list:

-Royal Naval Dockyard/Bermuda Maritime Museum (located next to the Clocktower Mall)

-Crystal Caves,

-St Peter’s Church (Oldest Church in the Western Hemisphere. It is located in St. George's),

-Bermuda Aquarium, Museum & Zoo (BAMZ),

-Devil's Hole Aquarium,

-Shopping in Hamilton,

-Ferry ride to opposite end of the Island (Most Ferries have an air conditioned lower level),

-Glass Bottom Boat tours are shaded and/or air conditioned (there's a good one that leaves from St. George's),

-Perfume Factory Tour,

-The Bermuda Botanical Gardens (also home to the Camden, the official residence of Bermuda’s Premier, and the Masterworks Foundation Gallery)

I'm sure I could come up with more if you let me know your interests. I can also give more details on the things I've listed if you like.

I know you'd like to stay out of the sun, so I left out the abundant outdoor activities, ie. incredible Golf, Tennis, Horseback Riding, Sailing, Fishing, and every water sport you can imagine!

Bermuda is a beautiful place with beautiful people! I'm sure you'll love it!

Safe Travels.:)

You can take a ferry to St. George's as well. There's a ton of historical stuff to do. My husband is not a beach person either, so we have found lots of other things to do.

My DH loves Bermuda so much we are going back next year!

Kings Wharf has a great mall....plenty of places to shop.

Hamilton is great for shopping as well. Somewhere on the island is an aquarium, although I am not sure where.

Jim & I spent an entire day at the Maritime Museum in Hamilton...It was Easter weekend and they even accepted our pass the next day. HUGE collection of seashells and coral in all shapes, sizes and designs...

The museum is about 5-10 minutes drive from the dock. Part of our "excursion" was a ride in what looked like kiddie cars (a set of multi-colored cars locked together like tinker toys). We got a view of the community and a great tour that taught us much about the island, the water situation, complete with the roofing and cistern system, etc. Then to the museum and a wonderful tour with many people giving us information as we wandered around. We actually walked back to the ship.. it was a lovely day and we never noticed the distance or the time.

Wife dislikes horses and doesnt swim so water sports are out. We love exploring, hiking, walking, history, shopping, sightseeing, will ove that glass beach thing though.

Keep them coming, we also gamble some. Love touring, learning the history of places and such.

There are 2 beach glass locations. One is Alexandra's Battery Park which is close to St. George. The other is near the Royal Navel Cemetery near Dockyard which is convenient if you're docked there. Take the bus toward Hamilton and tell the driver you're looking for the glass beach, he will know where to let you off. This one also has far more beach glass then the other one.

All day bus passes are cheap and the local passengers on the buses are very friendly and often help you to off the beaten path attractions.

If you have a hunger for British food, try the bangers and mash at Henry VII. Great view, down the hill from the light house.

I'll put a vote in for the Swizzle Inn, as well.:) Other things we enjoyed were the Crystal Caves, Perfume Factory, St. George area and golfing. We had stayed at the Southampton Princess years ago and the views were beautiful around the course (not much of a golfer, but it was great fun). You have many choices...enjoy!

Archived